"identify" Wild Animals

I sought official guidance for my question and found none.

I know how I think this is to be done, but I solicit your input on how you think it should be done.

Second Class Requirement 6 says, "Identify or show evidence of at least 10 kinds of wild animals ... found in your community."

What do you believe the Scout should have to do to "identify" a "wild animal" for purposes of this requirement?

What is a "kind" of "wild animal"?    

Thank you.

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Add feathers, snail shells and spider webs.  There is wild animal sign all over.   Other scouts do not count, no matter how much they try.

I'm thawing venison as I type.  We grind with no added fat 75% of our harvest (aka- kill), 20% sausage for spaghetti sauce, and a few butterflied tenderloins.  I like to swab them with liquid butter,

@@JoeBob, I just call them venison. Marinate them in red wine, lingon berries and olive oil, then smoke them over apple wood for about 2 hours, then serve with a side of lingon berry-brandy sauce with

We use sounds, tracks, skat, and visual identification. We go to a wilderness area nearby and cut them loose. Cameras are allowed to take pics or sound. Open to anything in the animal kingdom.

We do a contest, Newbies get to search the whole forest for the 10 animals, the older scouts are restricted to a 3' square randomly selected on the ground.  However, sitting there studying that 3' square, they hear a cardinal, they can count it or if an animal appears within their sight they can count it as well, but they cannot move from their original position.

Only the first person spotting something counts.  If there's a deer, the first one to call it gets credit, no one else can claim it.

Of course there's a bit of cheating that can be done and still win.  

The rules say 10 wild animals.  A herd of 10 deer all identified as deer is an instant win.  If one doesn't like that, then make better rules.  I teach my boys to think outside the box.  Love it when they out-smart the adults.

Although this is a great activity for a patrol to set out on while at camp, I also encourage boys to do this with a buddy in their neighborhood.

Like @, application of all five senses to identify trace is good. (E.g., if near a lake, spot the bluegill nests. Smell of the skunk or rat-snake. Feel the scale insects on bark. Hear crickets, cicadas, deer whistle, etc ...) I am satisfied with common names that get them down to the genus/species for most vertabrates .. to the order for most insects/mollusks.

"Wild" simply means untamed/uncaged. Invasive or not. So zebra muscles, and feral dogs and cats count.

Basically, I'm after the excersize of observation, not taxonomy. I consider it a real win if a boy reports back with something like "I don't know what it was, but it sounded like, moved like, and tasted like ..." to the point that after an improvised "twenty questions" from his buddies, we can work out an identification based on his description.

I've had scouts years later on a day leave from base send me pictures and descriptions asking for help with identification.

P.S. - I have yet to have anyone try to figure trace out based on taste! :eek:

Edited by qwazse

Additional question: does anyone let the boy spread this out over a number of days? I always thought it to mean in the space of an hour or so. (Like Kim's game, you have only so much time to look in the box.) But, there's really no time-frame listed.

Additional question: does anyone let the boy spread this out over a number of days? I always thought it to mean in the space of an hour or so. (Like Kim's game, you have only so much time to look in the box.) But, there's really no time-frame listed.

We usually do it over an afternoon. Sometimes we mix in the plants requirement too. Sometimes we allow this over a few days. Not usual.

Morning or afternoon. I also maintain a collection of plaster casts of various tracks and skulls as voucher specimens, just in case there's any question.

Edited by packsaddle
  • Downvote 1

I sought official guidance for my question and found none.

I know how I think this is to be done, but I solicit your input on how you think it should be done.

Second Class Requirement 6 says, "Identify or show evidence of at least 10 kinds of wild animals ... found in your community."

What do you believe the Scout should have to do to "identify" a "wild animal" for purposes of this requirement?

What is a "kind" of "wild animal"?    

Thank you.

I think of kind as species.  It has to be a bird, mammal, reptile, fish or mollusk.

As Moz said, sounds, visual id, scat. I would add nests, tracks, shells, any other trace (like pine cones that have been eaten down by squirrels). 

Edited by perdidochas
  • Upvote 1

We do a contest, Newbies get to search the whole forest for the 10 animals, the older scouts are restricted to a 3' square randomly selected on the ground.  However, sitting there studying that 3' square, they hear a cardinal, they can count it or if an animal appears within their sight they can count it as well, but they cannot move from their original position.

Only the first person spotting something counts.  If there's a deer, the first one to call it gets credit, no one else can claim it.

Of course there's a bit of cheating that can be done and still win.  

The rules say 10 wild animals.  A herd of 10 deer all identified as deer is an instant win.  If one doesn't like that, then make better rules.  I teach my boys to think outside the box.  Love it when they out-smart the adults.

it says 10 kinds of wild animals, for the requirement. 

Time requirement isn't listed, so of course it can't be limited (for the rank requirement, not the game. game rules are up to you).  We usually tend to do it in about two outings, if casually looking, one, if actively looking (i.e. hunting  or searching for them).

Edited by perdidochas

Insects aren't on the list in 2nd class requirements. Has to be bird, mammal, reptiles, fish or mollusks. 

yeah, this is the place where the requirements are totally stupid. What that means is that frogs and salamanders don't count, nor do starfish, jellyfish, bryozoans, or sponges...some of the most interesting creatures on the planet. And...what about the one class of animal for which there are more species than all the others put together? Nope, can't count them. Stupid. I ignore it as a thoughtless and unintentional exclusion of most of the animal kingdom.  Whoever wrote that probably failed basic biology.

• Upvote 3