Course/training Code For Goal Setting And Time Management?

I just completed the Goal Setting and Time Management course for my Crew. I completed a Training attendance sheet and need a course code for the class. There is one for the Mentoring class but not GS & TM.

If Awards/Advancement is going to be a bigger part of Venturing, then we will have to track this training nationally. Since I started the crew in 2013 I’ve been filling out these sheets for every training activity we’ve done ie First Aid to Officer Orientation.

Anyone know the Course /Training Code for Goal Setting and Time Management?

The class was very successful.  The crew enjoyed it and wants to do more of this kind of training.  The Crew Pres. conducted a Start/Stop/Continue review at the end and came up with a few recommendations on their own: next time they want to teach it themselves (youth taught!), add a few more team builing type games to the mix, add more handouts maybe have them bound.  We did this on a Saturday and ordered pizza for lunch.  

Thanks,
Tom
Advisor Crew 6

Glad to see this working. Maybe I'll use it to nudge my crew into significant action.

Don't expect much from national regarding venturing, and you'll be pleasantly surprised when it happens.

Most of us are used to seat-of-your-pants operation, but here's a brainstorm:

I'd leave record-keeping up to the youth. Sounds like you have buy-in, so get them to purchase handbooks and work this old-school. Get them into the habit of journalling their own successes. In a couple of months, challenge them to write their resume' of their venturing career so far.

If you have a Crew Historian or Secretary, try to set up a cloud-based system for recording things like this and give them privelages to write in it.

:excl: Track the big things, like Discovery, Path Finder, etc ... online.

Eventually, when National's IT catches up with this program (in a way that let's the youth have some responsibility for the record-keeping), you can buy-in. Or, you all can just settle for becoming the model for the rest of us. :o

That's how venturers roll.

• Upvote 1

Check with your council registrar or training chair. They should have a list of all the codes.

Here is the current list of Training Codes from Scouting.org

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/currentandpasttrainingcodes.pdf

Mentoring is listed as Cuose Code P61.  I hope that this is the Venturing Training Code.  

The Council doesn't really have anyone that can help.  I usually find more out by Googling my questions.

Glad to see this working. Maybe I'll use it to nudge my crew into significant action.

Don't expect much from national regarding venturing, and you'll be pleasantly surprised when it happens.

Most of us are used to seat-of-your-pants operation, but here's a brainstorm:

I'd leave record-keeping up to the youth. Sounds like you have buy-in, so get them to purchase handbooks and work this old-school. Get them into the habit of journalling their own successes. In a couple of months, challenge them to write their resume' of their venturing career so far.

If you have a Crew Historian or Secretary, try to set up a cloud-based system for recording things like this and give them privelages to write in it.

:excl: Track the big things, like Discovery, Path Finder, etc ... online.

Eventually, when National's IT catches up with this program (in a way that let's the youth have some responsibility for the record-keeping), you can buy-in. Or, you all can just settle for becoming the model for the rest of us. :o

That's how venturers roll.

Thanks so much.  Yes the youth do keep track of training and award requirements.  We put up a big spreadsheet for tracking these awards.  I'll keep on National to get the needed details out to the Advisors and crews.  

Yes we used the Guide. The code is not listed there either.  The GS & TM Guide is well laid out and includes an intro into what Venturers will learn in NYLT/NAYLE.  ie. SMART Goals and teambuilding.

• 3 months later...

So, I got word back from National.  No course codes for course required for "rank", I'll assume she means awards. This means that National won't keep track of these classes for Venturing youth.  But, let's keep in mind that they do for Safety Afloat, Safe Swim Defense, etc.  

You can get training cards from your council to give to the course recipients to keep track of the course completion. I also fill out a Training Record Sheet and file it. We are just now getting everyone a Venturing Handbook and signing them appropriately.  Soon we will have our Court of Honor.  

It looks to me that this means that we do not use the Course Code for Mentoring class for Venturing Youth.  

"Tom,

There is not going to be training codes for any of the Venturing courses required for rank.  The Crew will be the only persons to track these.

Thank you for your support of Boy Scouts of America.

Senior Member Care Advocate

Angela"