So when the parents say they don't have time to help out, what they are really saying is, "In the entire scope of my life, your project is not important enough for me to prioritized your issue higher.

This formula also works for money.  The scout pants for my son is not as important as the three packs of cigarettes I'll be smoking this week.

Had a mom who could not help. No job, just busy. Needed an event planner. She said she's "suck at it if she tried". Planned a $60,000 wedding for her daughter. Left no stone unturned. Those who went said it was so well planned she should do it professionally.

Had a family that kept sending the kid to scouts out of uniform. Cited the high cost of uniform gear as the reason. Dropped her son off driving a Mercedes CL class ( the kind over 100k). Everyone in their family had an iPhone 6 Plus. Kid's clothes were all Abercrombie, Niemans, etc. House is in the "rich area"...5000 sq ft, over 700k.

As you said, we make room for the things that matter.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our unit:   - You must sign up for a minimum 3 camp outs to be an ASM. - We get summer camp commitments a year out with back ups. Those who sign up early get their camp fee paid. - Cancellat

I use to travel 15 weeks of the year, Monday to Thursday. Have a job with a large company. 40+ hours a week, usually more. Coached my kids sports teams AND was a DL and CM. Adjusted my schedule so tha

I love Scouting and I want to do the best job I can do.  The downside to that is people always come to me and ask me to do things.    So I have a hard time saying "no," and I understand this and readi

Had a mom who could not help. No job, just busy. Needed an event planner. She said she's "suck at it if she tried". Planned a $60,000 wedding for her daughter. Left no stone unturned. Those who went said it was so well planned she should do it professionally.

Had a family that kept sending the kid to scouts out of uniform. Cited the high cost of uniform gear as the reason. Dropped her son off driving a Mercedes CL class ( the kind over 100k). Everyone in their family had an iPhone 6 Plus. Kid's clothes were all Abercrombie, Niemans, etc. House is in the "rich area"...5000 sq ft, over 700k.

As you said, we make room for the things that matter.

Agree that we make room for things that matter.

Thankfully, I haven't had issues to the point that you have had @, but it is sometimes hard to get people to volunteer.  Hopefully, my wonderful charm :D will do the trick and get more volunteers!

• Upvote 1

The biggest issue that I've found in the UK is that a lot of parents are already very stretched time wise. There is increasing pressure to work longer and longer hours. Many of them don't finish work till after scouts start time. Many travel with work a lot and time with families is precious.

Also there are a lot more things to volunteer for.

One of my ASLs is 74 and has been at the group since he was an 8 year old cub! The stuff of legend :) Talking to him he says that when he was a scout that was basically all there was to do other than school or church. Now there are a whole mirade of sports clubs, music clubs and who knows what else. It's not just a choice for children it's also a choice for adults who volunteer. Back in the day scouts, guides or church was about all there was to volunteer for, now that's all changed. On my team at work there are about 35 people. I'm the only scout leader. But there is also a rowing coach, a football coach, a volunteer at a soup kitchen, a cycling coach, a samaritan and plenty more volunteering, mostly in roles that didn't exist 40 years ago.

Ye we have problems with parents who just can't be bothered, that's life, you just have to wear that one, but they are in the minority.

I find it cyclic.   For 8 or 10 years we will have all the help we need, then the next 10 or so we are stretching those who do volunteer too thin.  Sadly, right now, our troop is in the lean years and it is like pulling teeth to get anyone to do anything.  They can't even bother putting anything on their calendars 3 months out because "i don't know what we will be doing that far out".  I was taught that you put something on your calendar and you turn down everything else, unless it is something really important.  People seem to be waiting for better offers, and teaching their kids that it is ok.  We have threatened to cancel summer camp if we don't have more adults sign up just to insure we have 2 adults at all times.  We have had to cancel a camp out because we couldnt get one adult to sign up in addition to the SM.  I have gone on campouts and to summer camp to be sure we have 2 adults.  We have parents sign up then tell us that they can't make it the Monday before.  It is amazingly frustrating.  We will be loosing an ASM after this year because of his work situation and our other 2 ASM's can't/won'tdon't come to meetings and will only step up to 1 campout a year.  We only have 2 committee members with boys active in the troop, most of the others are only staying on out of obligation that they don't want to leave us with no one.  It's pretty sad, really.

in about 3 years we will have a den cross over, hopefully, full of active parents.  Hopefully we can stick it out till then.

Edited by andysmom

In our unit:

- You must sign up for a minimum 3 camp outs to be an ASM.

- We get summer camp commitments a year out with back ups. Those who sign up early get their camp fee paid.

- Cancellations a week or less before an even do not get fees refunded.

- High adventure activities require a level of participation from scouts AND adults. Not giving a Philmont, SB or NT space to someone who camps once a year.

- Special events require a certain number of service projects attended. Those who don't can't go, scouts or adults.

- Trained leaders (ASMs especially) who have high participation get essentially right if first refusal on most events.

In short, if you step up, get trained and participate a fair amount you get perference. We have learned over the years this works best with adults in our area. We recruit accordingly. People know in advance our policy and deal with it...or go somewhere else.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 4

I love Scouting and I want to do the best job I can do.  The downside to that is people always come to me and ask me to do things.  ;)  So I have a hard time saying "no," and I understand this and readily admit it.  

Lately, I've started to wonder if maybe potential volunteers (who are already involved) have this attitude now: "oh, no worries.  LeCastor'll do it so I don't have to spend my time doing it." In my opinion, I do a good job and I enjoy the things I volunteer to do.  However, I've noticed that I just can't give everything 100%.  Imagine that.  So over the past 3 months I've been asking others to help me by taking over some of the things that I have been doing for four years.  Slowly but surely I'm taking hats off and putting them on other people!  

I firmly believe that, if you include people and praise them for what they've done, getting new volunteers to step up is possible.  Let's not get bogged down in the mire of hypocritical non-volunteers.  (Could we call them Muggles?  :laugh:)

Edited by LeCastor
  • Upvote 2

@@LeCastor brings up an excellent point. Must be those years of eating mudbugs, taters and corn at the local boil.

We got in to that mind set where we had a few people doing everything. They way we combated that was to change a few things up:

• We created back-ups for every adult position, whether on the SM Corps or on the TC.
  • Documented the "roll on, roll off" dates of every position. This helped with planning and expectation setting across the board.
  • While we are a tradition-laden unit we make an habit of saying "nothing is sacred"; meaning that if you are new and have a good idea -- even if it changes the oldest of traditions -- we are open to it.
  • We allowed people to create roles that fit their niche.
  • I mentioned this earlier but we have EVERY position documented. And not just the roles and responsibilities (e.g., job description) but the actual processes and procedures, major "deliverables" and annual duties of each position. IT folks call this a "run book" (I hear snickering from my It brethren, but this REALLY works!). Open it, find the current month, read and execute.
  • The out-going person in the role is in the back ground to answer questions, help organize.
  • Changes are made to these role docs and the "run book" by the person in the role (e.g., the place to find cheap canoes is xxx, or don't go to xxx camp because they have a bout of giardia in their water system in 2012).

We found that giving the new parents a good map of what we do AND allowing them leeway to do things in their wheelhouse, we got a higher uptake on volunteers. We still have some apathy, but it is FAAAAR less than it was.

There's more...much more. And this took us five years to implement and make it work, however I must say it has been more than worth the investment. We are proud of this effort because it has led to higher adult participation and less adult intervention in the boys' side of the program.

If only we had a UC and DE to show this model to so they could use it for other units. ;):p

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Just came back from helping a band field trip.

I was shocked that they didn't limit chaperones.... almost every kid had a parent along.

When i signed up, I did so because my son wanted me to come along, but I thought I would be helping too.  When I found out that for the amusement park portion I would only be chaperoning my own son, and that there were only a very few chaperoned groups, I figured I wasn't needed.  Would have backed out except I had already paid, and DS wanted me to come along....

Everyone there of course helped in some ways, but just based on my casual observance most did a lot of pocket holding.

It was a good trip. Made some memories with DS, and I felt like I actually helped..... I was thinking while I was inside the belly of the bus loading or unloading, how scouting really conditions a person for not being shy about jumping in to help.

Maybe many of these folks just don't know how to pull their hands out of their pockets????

It was a good trip. Made some memories with DS, and I felt like I actually helped..... I was thinking while I was inside the belly of the bus loading or unloading, how scouting really conditions a person for not being shy about jumping in to help.

Maybe many of these folks just don't know how to pull their hands out of their pockets????

They know how to help. Most figure someone else will do it. The problem is that there are a few different types of people. 

• Doers/Problem Solvers: Those who require nothing other than pointing them in the right direction. They will get it done come Hell or high water. These folks step in first and often.
  • The Managers: These are folks who can read directions and execute accordingly. If hit with a problem they will use their best judgement to get it done. These folks may step in on their own or may need to be asked.
  • Helpers: These folks will help out BUT they need a clear set of tasks and need to be managed...closely. These folks need to be asked to help...sometimes more than once. They won't think outside the box and may not complete the task.
  • The Talkers: These are the people who talk the talk, but almost never step up. When they do they usually need as much management as the Helpers.
  • Excuse-Makers: They always have something going on...usually far less than you do. These are people that may be very successful in their personal life but could not manage a scout project any better than a 10 year-old. These folks are usually useless.

Whether dealing with volunteers or co-workers, most management doctrines will identify the core things people need in order to get something done. I have found -- whether dealing with co-workers, clients, suppliers or volunteers -- if you are organized and lay things out you have a better chance of people responding.

• Time: Identify how much time is required of them and that helps them understand the level of effort. People who say they don't have time might have that excuse evaporate if you can demonstrate exactly (or even approximately) how much time is needed to complete a given task.
  • Expectations: Note the success criteria, availability, communication method, responsiveness (time to respond) for the project/role.
  • Tools/Methods: Most people can follow plans, templates or maps. Take the time to build those or help lay those out.
  • Communications: Let them know which method will be used and expectations on response.
  • Results: What is the end result? What is the deliverable? List out what the end result will look like or what things are expected to be turned in.
  • Review: Cover the exit criteria. Let them know that a project is considered done when xxx is completed.

We use these methods as part of our TLT. Our boys know how to do these things; many times their parents don't. ;) If you develop a volunteer training course and document your roles (see previous posts) this will help develop a culture within your troop. Those who join will be like-minded for the most part. Those who get overwhelmed will not join. Good! You don't need cattle you need shepherds. ;)

40 years ago when I was in seminary we were told to expect 10% of the people in the congregation will be doing 90% of the work.

Things really haven't changed all that much.

:)

• Upvote 1

Just came back from helping a band field trip.

I was shocked that they didn't limit chaperones.... almost every kid had a parent along.

When i signed up, I did so because my son wanted me to come along, but I thought I would be helping too.  When I found out that for the amusement park portion I would only be chaperoning my own son, and that there were only a very few chaperoned groups, I figured I wasn't needed.  Would have backed out except I had already paid, and DS wanted me to come along....

Everyone there of course helped in some ways, but just based on my casual observance most did a lot of pocket holding.

I did the same thing when my boys were in marching band.  I chaperoned to football games and band competitions and I really helped with loading and unloading of equipment, etc.  There were a lot of weekends that were spent with the band and/or scouts, as I was SM at the time too.  Most of the people involved with band were also involved in some other activity as well, including the Band Boosters president who was an ASM in my troop.  I agree with @@Stosh that a small group of people make up the majority of the volunteers across organizations.

• Upvote 1

40 years ago when I was in seminary we were told to expect 10% of the people in the congregation will be doing 90% of the work.

Things really haven't changed all that much.

:)

I've heard many people say 80%/20%....

but I think the doers are less.... more in line with your 10% number, based on my experience.

• Upvote 1

Agree with some of what was outlined, as a unit volunteer and scoutmaster for 7 years I saw all the folks who were "Too Busy". Some were, some weren't we know the drill. Many folks you wouldn't want anyway (dis-functional, un dependable, vapor for brains etc). Then you get the percentage of folks who do volunteer that shouldn't (Horrible people skills, divisive, can't communicate, don't show up, don't follow through etc). The worst part of the too bsuy crowd is the struggle to get parents to even drive kids to a campout within 20 miles.

The other side is the folks who did or would volunteer but when they see al the brain damage BSA foists on adults then take a pass. Most good potential volunteers already know the drama one has to deal with concerning mostly other adults, parents, abrasive troop leaders and committee people, jerks with council or district. Then pile on all the mandatory and in many cases un-needed training, piles of paperwork, ridiculous rules and guidelines and you discourage many. 

After that, BSA tries to hit up it's volunteer base for money all the time, never mind the time they put into their units and money they spend there. The push on the popcorn is one thing, FOS is another, our council tried a clay pidgeon shoot a few years, pushed the volunteers to get teams made up. Get this....$6400 for a team of 4 for one afternoon !!!

The concept of volunteers paying for their training and even worse.....having volunteers who are on staff to GIVE training pay to be there is absurd.

The Gay issue is going to loose us people, if I was still in BSA and my CO took a NO option, I'd be done simply because I don't need the heat from people insinuating I am a bigot, staying out of the politics of it, we did BSA for my boys and other boys, not to get in the center of a political flap.

The tendency to litigate is also a downer concerning volunteering. We had a local church volunteer (woman) who had a 15 year old girl coming on to HER....she refused, did the right youth protection things so the teen claimed the volunteer cam on to her in spite. It dragged out a couple years and it was thrown out of court as it was baseless but in the mean time this volunteer and her husband lost pretty much everything. This was playing out near the end of my scoutmastership and I couldn't wait till my time was done, will NEVER EVER have anything to do with volley work with a youth organization ever again.

Dealing with Council and professional scouters.....I was district Scoutmaster of the year in 2010, my last full year, had several requests to come on board with district committee but from what I saw with most of those folks, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, told them politely I was retiring from scouting. My first Eagle Scout, now 26 was an ASM with our unit and was a UC with district got fed up and quit. Between the BS from district and council and dealing with total jerk parents, it killed any enjoyment for him

• Upvote 1