Cubmaster Transition Out

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are correct but my statement should have been more clear.  There is nothing anyone in your position can do..."  I was pointing out that if one was going to feel guilty about something at least hav

@@blw2, the best you can do it prepare all the materials you will transition, have someone under study you if possible, document anything you need the next person to know and, if possible, have a tran

We had four packs fold at recharter last year for the same reason.  Two of them had been around for over 60 years.  Very sad.

Others are taking charge. Enjoy.

True enough @@packsaddle and Stosh, true enough....

I can't figure out why it's such a  big deal to me except that I've put a lot into it and care about the pack.  Stupid I know, but i guess I don't feel respected.

I don't disagree with most of what they are doing, but it seems there's no good reason to not involve me and the rest of the committee in the discussion.

Edited by blw2

It seems that the district folks were un-invited, but the others met, inviting some on the committee but not all....and I guess the old CM, who has quit twice before has now been invited back, bringing with him the support of a few "retired" leaders. 

but, at least for the CM, it's filled with someone in the same boat as me... a short timer 2nd year WEB parent.... soon to not have skin in the game and it looks like other roles will be filled by others with no skin in the game.... (I know Stosh, that in itself this isn't bad, but in this case it's short term motivation, doesn't seem so healthy for the pack to me)

oh, And now we have filled positions that nobody new is going to see a need to fill

It's probably for the best in a way though, because he brings support that I could never seem to garner because we just don't have the interest in the new group of parents....

but I feel it's a step backwards in another way because they are all so disconnected now, from the boys, and refuse to play along and follow any program but what they have always done.....

I've told them, but since they only half listen....I doubt if any of them are seriously aware that there is a new Cub Scout program that just started.... and probably don't really care.  They'll run it like it always was....

The good old boy network....

True enough @@packsaddle and Stosh, true enough....

I can't figure out why it's such a  big deal to me except that I've put a lot into it and care about the pack.  Stupid I know, but i guess I don't feel respected.

I don't disagree with most of what they are doing, but it seems there's no good reason to not involve me and the rest of the committee in the discussion.

It might be a good thing not to be involved, not for you, but for them.  This way they get a clean slate to draw from and not have any carryover during the transition.  

In the ministry when a pastor has had a long tenure with a congregation, it is always a good idea to have an interim pastor come in, shake things up and prepare the way for the new guy.  One has no idea how irritating hearing "Well, the former pastor never did it that way." over and over again.  I put up with it for about 3-4 months and when the summer rolled around and the discussion came up about mowing the church lawn for the summer at the church council meeting.  Well they were quite quick to point out that the former pastor always did it by himself.  When I didn't jump up and volunteer, the awkward silence and multiple stares came my way.  I finally relented and said, "Okay! Okay, I'll call the former pastor to see if he's still interested in doing the mowing, but I can't guarantee he will be interested anymore."  Before the night was over, they had worked out a schedule where everyone took a turn mowing the lawn for the summer.  I took my turn along with everyone else, and after I left, no one called me to see if I'd be interested in doing a week of mowing at the old church.   :)

Saw your post.  Looks like a clean slate isn't an option, maybe I should have called the old pastor to see if he wanted to mow the lawn after all.  :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

It might be a good thing not to be involved, not for you, but for them.  This way they get a clean slate to draw from and not have any carryover during the transition.  

In the ministry when a pastor has had a long tenure with a congregation, it is always a good idea to have an interim pastor come in, shake things up and prepare the way for the new guy.  One has no idea how irritating hearing "Well, the former pastor never did it that way." over and over again.  I put up with it for about 3-4 months and when the summer rolled around and the discussion came up about mowing the church lawn for the summer at the church council meeting.  Well they were quite quick to point out that the former pastor always did it by himself.  When I didn't jump up and volunteer, the awkward silence and multiple stares came my way.  I finally relented and said, "Okay! Okay, I'll call the former pastor to see if he's still interested in doing the mowing, but I can't guarantee he will be interested anymore."  Before the night was over, they had worked out a schedule where everyone took a turn mowing the lawn for the summer.  I took my turn along with everyone else, and after I left, no one called me to see if I'd be interested in doing a week of mowing at the old church.   :)

Saw your post.  Looks like a clean slate isn't an option, maybe I should have called the old pastor to see if he wanted to mow the lawn after all.   :)

This is great.  Need to file it away for future use.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been checking in for a while.  

After a step back....I figure its about time to try to re-energize about scouting.

Looks like not much new happening on the forum.

Dug up this old thread to get perspective and re-read the comments with a cooler mind.

I still feel deflated.  I had so much positive energy about scouting, and was really looking forward to working with my son's troop in some way.  I just don't know if I'll ever get the energy back.  My son's DL asked me if I would be co-DL, since he's feeling the burn out.  No such thing, but I told him maybe Assistant DL during the 2nd year of Webelos.... or maybe I'll just maintain registration as Committee Member, but function as an involved parent and support and help him that way.

I haven't been checking in for a while.  

After a step back....I figure its about time to try to re-energize about scouting.

Looks like not much new happening on the forum.

Dug up this old thread to get perspective and re-read the comments with a cooler mind.

I still feel deflated.  I had so much positive energy about scouting, and was really looking forward to working with my son's troop in some way.  I just don't know if I'll ever get the energy back.  My son's DL asked me if I would be co-DL, since he's feeling the burn out.  No such thing, but I told him maybe Assistant DL during the 2nd year of Webelos.... or maybe I'll just maintain registration as Committee Member, but function as an involved parent and support and help him that way.

That's a good approach.  Make no commitments to anything formal and just help out when you see a project or need that appeals to you.  Sooner or later something will probably re-light the fire for heavier involvement.  It does no one any good to force it.