Cubmaster Transition Out

It might have been a wee bit more beneficial that when the committee heard that the CM and CC were leaving they would have contacted the DE and UC immediately and got the ball rolling on replacements.  Ignoring problems very seldom solve them. 

Yep, if we had a functioning committee..... but who are these DE and UC people? ;)  both positions are vacant as far as I know.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are correct but my statement should have been more clear.  There is nothing anyone in your position can do..."  I was pointing out that if one was going to feel guilty about something at least hav

@@blw2, the best you can do it prepare all the materials you will transition, have someone under study you if possible, document anything you need the next person to know and, if possible, have a tran

We had four packs fold at recharter last year for the same reason.  Two of them had been around for over 60 years.  Very sad.

thanks @, that is quite a document.  I'll have to flip through that when I have more time....

It sure looks like somebody called a meeting or two to pull off that thing!

When I stepped in this time, I made it known to the troop that it was for an interim period of 12-18 months, and then I will step away for good.  I fully admit part of me stepping up is selfish because I didn't want to see a troop that a really involved group of leaders and I put a lot of time and effort in to start to come apart, which is what I was afraid was happening.  There is another leader that was really involved at the same time I was SM that is also helping me out.  However, at some point in time, I believe that the parents do need to step up and get involved with their kids for this to ultimately be successful.

Hopefully, in the next few months we can identify a group of people that will step forward and continue on with what this troop has been doing in the past.

So, blw2, I think it is great that you know in February you will step down no matter what, but like has been mentioned, if you want to step down earlier, don't let on that you are willing to stay through February.

• 3 weeks later...

So the CC finally got around to calling the parent meeting

We had a very poor turn out.  I'm extremely frustrated, but feel that I have done what I can.

We had

our cc

one Bear parent... well as of yesterday 1st year WEBELOS

the 2nd year WEBELOS DL

and one 2nd year WEB parent, (also the exCM)

None of the younger den folks

so summing up

I drew a line in the sand.  Lightly, but it was drawn that now is the time, and I'll be here to help through crossover... dared them to step over it.

They did in affect by not showing to the meeting

Now the committee wants to step back, draw another line in the sand... maybe this time in red paint?.... saying if nobody steps up by the end of the month we'll plan on not rechartering and folding the pack.  Just makes me chuckle in a way, but mostly I'm just frustrated

Think I'll make contact with our Field Svc director (DE vacant), just to cover bases.  I doubt if they can do anything, but I might as well try....

@@blw2,

Sorry man.  That stinks that you had very few parents show up.  I honestly don't think most of them will care if you recharter or not.  Actually, one of the Webelos leaders will probably step up so their group can get through AoL, but that isn't the solution the pack needs.  Good luck with the situation.  Hard to see the hard work you put in go down like that.

I assume you recharter sometime over the summer? IMO you should recharter because you don't want to completely cut off the options for the boys.

I might be the outlier, but why are you so strongly for the Feb crossover date as your last day? I get that you probably got into scouting because of your son (we almost all do), but once you do sign up in a leadership role, you effectively need to put the group above the individual. I think it sends the wrong message to walk out on a pack midyear (and I completely get that's not your desire and you want to make the switch sooner). However I think you need to either walk now or commit to finishing out the next scout year. Otherwise it would be akin to Little League dad/coach splitting midseason because his kid got a season ending injury mid year. IMO you gotta be willing to make the full commitment or don't make one at all.

Actually, one of the Webelos leaders will probably step up so their group can get through AoL, but that isn't the solution the pack needs.

If you are talking about one of the Webelos I leaders, it isn't an optimal solution, but it's better than the pack folding, isn't it? Kicking the can down the road for a year is better than giving up now.

I assume you recharter sometime over the summer? IMO you should recharter because you don't want to completely cut off the options for the boys.

I might be the outlier, but why are you so strongly for the Feb crossover date as your last day? I get that you probably got into scouting because of your son (we almost all do), but once you do sign up in a leadership role, you effectively need to put the group above the individual. I think it sends the wrong message to walk out on a pack midyear (and I completely get that's not your desire and you want to make the switch sooner). However I think you need to either walk now or commit to finishing out the next scout year. Otherwise it would be akin to Little League dad/coach splitting midseason because his kid got a season ending injury mid year. IMO you gotta be willing to make the full commitment or don't make one at all.

You know, this is a good point. I don't remember if I intentionally did it for this reason, but I recruited and trained my replacement CM so I could be my younger son's Webelos leader. Good advice Slowderby.

Barry

You know, this is a good point. I don't remember if I intentionally did it for this reason, but I recruited and trained my replacement CM so I could be my younger son's Webelos leader. Good advice Slowderby.

Barry

Not to speak for @@blw2, but I think that is what he has been trying to do is get someone that he can train over the next 9 months, but no one has stepped up.

Okay, I'm kinda confused.  

Yes, it's nice, but where does it say any position in scouting expects the person leaving to find and train their replacement?  That's the job of the COR who in many cases is not doing their job.  So quit feeling guilty because someone else dropped the ball.

Yes, it's nice to leave a legacy but where does all this guilt tripping come from?  A CM steps up, does his/her best, runs a nice program and walks away feeling guilty because no one stepped up to replace them?   I'd rather give the CM a plaque saying the Pack appreciated all that they did for the Pack.  Instead we dump them with guilt by COR and other leaders not stepping up and doing their job of finding a replacement.  With an attitude like that coming from the adult "leadership" of the pack, I would say, walk away, you did a great job, it's time to move on and if the pack folds because of a lack of adult leadership doing their jobs, then there's nothing to feel guilty about.

blw2, I don't see why the "CM for half a year" issue is such a big problem, at least it wouldn't be for me. I understand you would prefer a "smooth transition" and to avoid disruption, but unfortunately it sounds like the ship has already sailed on that. The fact is that people leave volunteer positions at all possible times based on their own circumstances. Someone could become a Cubmaster and then the next day be informed by their employer that they are being transferred halfway across the country in a month or two. In your case there is much more continuity because you have already been the CM and the only question is whether the transition occurs in June or February - or at all. It seems to me that the disruption caused by a leadership transition in the middle of the school year pales in comparison to the pack folding, which brings a complete halt to the program.

Just out of curiosity, how many members are in this pack?

you're right @@SlowDerbyRacer in that is is a bum deal to walk away mid "season"

So that's why I drew the line for the CM now saying we need a new CM for next year.

Crossover is my last day to be involved with the pack because I have to draw a line someplace.  That is a very natural point.

So you would have me do what, so oh never mind about that line in May 2015.  I'll stay on another whole year to give you folks a 3rd chance to step up.  what happens when they don't step up next year?....

I've put in my time, worn more hats than I should have, and since I've had little support with effectively no committee, no assistant, etc.... I'm done.  I'll say this, if I had all of that sort of support and the job is what it really should be, then I would actually be having fun.  I am starting to feel that I'm getting a role with it and would very likely be willing to run it another year as CM if I were needed.... but the thing is, there really is no excuse why someone else should take a turn....

Actually @@pargolf44067, my plan/hope was to get someone  in the ACM role last September to get their comfort level built up.... but now what I'm offering is a second chance for my support.... that I'm still here as a dad, committee member, or whatever.... to answer questions or to help with almost anything you need.... if you want the help....  Otherwise, I'm happy to just be dad in the back of the room, and I might even be willing to help stack chairs on occasion :D

@@Stosh, no guilt here.... well maybe a little, because as I look back there are some things a better person than me could have done better than I did (& who doesn't want to be better than they are?).... but knowing that I did the best that I could at the time, with what I had to work with, I'm ok.....

....and spot on about the COR. Really nice guy, but completely hands off and COR on paper only.  

So now I'm left with trying to put my all in to this failing transition so that i can say that I did my best about that too.

blw2, I don't see why the "CM for half a year" issue is such a big problem, at least it wouldn't be for me. I understand you would prefer a "smooth transition" and to avoid disruption, but unfortunately it sounds like the ship has already sailed on that. The fact is that people leave volunteer positions at all possible times based on their own circumstances. Someone could become a Cubmaster and then the next day be informed by their employer that they are being transferred halfway across the country in a month or two. In your case there is much more continuity because you have already been the CM and the only question is whether the transition occurs in June or February - or at all. It seems to me that the disruption caused by a leadership transition in the middle of the school year pales in comparison to the pack folding, which brings a complete halt to the program.

Just out of curiosity, how many members are in this pack?

Well what you outline is very likely what will happen.  I'll stay on through December or Feb or whatever.... but that sure ain't healthy for the pack.  In fact it helps my son's den, but If I had a boy in any other den, I would just go ahead and go to another unit now, in that case....

unit size?

we have 26 boys on the roster now, which is down.  We used to carry closer to 30-32 this time of year

16 of those boys are 2nd year WEBELOS, but not all of them are active

so 10 boys after crossover next year + recruits

Okay, I'm kinda confused.  

Yes, it's nice, but where does it say any position in scouting expects the person leaving to find and train their replacement?  That's the job of the COR who in many cases is not doing their job.  So quit feeling guilty because someone else dropped the ball.

I'm also confused, how is this different from teaching the scouts to take care of their patrol or team members. (scratching my head on this one)

Barry

@@blw2, the best you can do it prepare all the materials you will transition, have someone under study you if possible, document anything you need the next person to know and, if possible, have a transition meeting. That's in a prefect world.

You are right to pick a deadline and stick to it, and once you leave, leave. Cub units will NEVER function without you unless your rip the band-aid off. They will sit there and sit there until it's too late. Giving them notice was nice. More you cannot do. Have a Tiger or Wolf parent step up, get trained and take the reigns. Not your problem after you leave. Not your problem to find your replacement.

There's being nice and then there's being overly nice. People will take advantage of both.

• Upvote 1