It's A Different World

The "Irish need not apply" signs were in America also, we had our period of discriminating at one time or another against Indian, Irish, Chinese, Italian, Afro-American, Hispanics.. Some group always has to be on the bottom of the dog-pile in order for other groups of people to be happy..

I hear from many guys the two girls making out isn't as gross to them (providing the girls are cute).. My opinion is that guys are weird to begin with.. I have been to places that are known to have a heavy gay culture, P-town on the Cape is the one I frequent the most.. Aside from some hand holding or maybe an arm-in-arm, I have not witness anything more then that.. I think they still stay pretty low key so as not to shock.. I admit I never have gone into a gay bar or someplace they may feel more open to be themselves at.. 

We talked in a different thread about the north not officially denying blacks into any school, but that it sort of happened anyway by were people lived.. If too many blacks moved into a neighborhood their was "white flight" and the whites moved further into the suburbs.. Therefore our schools would end up sort of segregated although you had your occasional blacks in the predominantly white school, and your occasional whites in the predominantly white schools..  There is a lot more blending now, and "white flight" is a thing of the past.. But where I live (not a suburb but in the country)  it still is predominantly white.. There is only one school for the whole town for each grade group, in fact our high school covers two towns.. It is just few blacks seem to look for the country life and prefer the city I guess.. I hope more will move out though, it does a society good the more it inter-mingles.. It is human nature to fear the unknown..

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I'm very honest I have to admit that I'm a happy little fellow. My life is good, I'm very comfortable enjoy what I do and like the people I have as family and friends. I'm not cold, I'm not hungr

Growing old makes you a stranger in your own country.    When I saw the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" as a kid when it was first released, that was my blueprint for what I thought the future would b

Technically the glass is always full, only the media filling it is different.

One of our council WB chiefs likes to say "Change is Good."   :(

In Cleveland, at least, we have "Green Flight."  Almost everyone with enough "green," leaves Cleveland (And East Cleveland).  Those left behind are fewer and fewer,  poorer and poorer, and less and less possessed of marketable skills.  Without knowing, I suspect the same is going on elsewhere.  The outwardly mobile leave behind abandoned houses and churches they may - may -  visit on Sunday, the latter surrounded by high fences topped with razor wire and heavily alarmed. (There was one such church east of the Scout Service Center, and the alarms were constantly going off. Then it burned to the ground.)

I would find it a very odd site to see the majority of churches surrounded by high fences with razor wire.. Does not imply "welcome"..  I think Detroit is like that (not sure about the church fences) but the fact that everyone who can is moving out and leaving the very poor who have no means to move out behind.. At least it was that way last year. I had heard they may be starting to curb the flow, but not sure if they have started to turn it around yet.

I know where I grew up until I left high school there was also a different sort of flight.. Utica NY had a very large state mental hospital.. During my last few years in HS the budgets were severely cut for mental hospitals and all the patients were let out and settled right there in Utica..  It was not unusual to find many hanging on the streets or wandering in the streets, yelling at invisible people or wandering aimlessly.. So everyone else was leaving, the comment was "Last one out, turn off the lights.".. I think over time the mentally ill slowly dispersed, or they found ways to treat and medicate them better as out patients.. When I went back to visit 10 or 15 years later, it seemed pretty back to normal.

I think the BSA would be well served if they concentrated their religious aspect down to the Great Commandment.  Not sure why it has to be disguised in a "secret word" that can only be whispered.  

"Jesus replied: â€˜Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a]  This is the first and greatest commandment. 

And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 

All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.â€

• Upvote 1

Back to it being a child again.. Since we can not agree on that point, we really are arguing apples and oranges... No brain, no soul, not yet a human.. Sorry..

You don't have to apologize to me.

So you'd be okay with banning the abortion of a female once she has a brain? Does her brain have to be fully developed for her to qualify as a human, and if so, when do you think that is?

The brain continues to develop long after birth, by the way.

And if you think she doesn't have a soul yet, at what point do you think God implants that into the developing fetus?

If you happen to be wrong about that guess, do you think He might be a little angry at you supporting killing a female human with a soul?

If you're not completely certain when that event happens, would you agree that the mother's choice to terminate her daughter's life is morally equivalent to firing a rifle blindly through the windows of a house that may, or may not have a person inside?

Edited by AZMike

I think the BSA would be well served if they concentrated their religious aspect down to the Great Commandment.  Not sure why it has to be disguised in a "secret word" that can only be whispered.  

I'm not sure how this follows from the previous discussion, or maybe what you are responding to just got lost in the flurry of non-BSA-related posts.  What do you mean by the "'secret word' that can only be whispered".  What is the secret word?  Or is it a secret?   :)