Driving To And From Troop Meetings

Yes, a scout can drive himself to a meeting. As far as driving other scouts, this is what the GTSS has to say:

1. The drivers must be currently licensed and at least 18 years of age. Youth member exception: when traveling to and from an area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity or any Venturing event under the leadership of an adult (at least 21 years of age) tour leader, a youth member at least 16 years of age may be a driver, subject to the following:
    1. Six months' driving experience as a licensed driver (time on a learner's permit or equivalent is not to be counted)
    2. No record of accidents or moving violations
    3. Parental permission granted to the leader, driver, and riders

In our troop, we typically don't allow under 18 to drive. 

Thanks guys,

I knew about the restrictions on driving to camping events, and on driving other Scouts. I am a retired cop, and would never allow this in any case. I was just caught by surprise when my 17yoa son came home last night and told me the Scoutmaster told him he wasn't allowed to drive himself. This was not an issue with my older son, who is now 19yoa and serving as an Assistant Scoutmaster, as am I.

The Scoutmaster hasn't changed, so I thought maybe the rules did.

I'll discuss this with the Scoutmaster. 

Thanks Again

Thanks guys,

I knew about the restrictions on driving to camping events, and on driving other Scouts. I am a retired cop, and would never allow this in any case. I was just caught by surprise when my 17yoa son came home last night and told me the Scoutmaster told him he wasn't allowed to drive himself. This was not an issue with my older son, who is now 19yoa and serving as an Assistant Scoutmaster, as am I.

The Scoutmaster hasn't changed, so I thought maybe the rules did.

I'll discuss this with the Scoutmaster. 

Thanks Again

If it's any help, in our unit we have communicated to the parents that it is THEIR responsibility if they want their scout to ride with another scout. State law does not allow certain youth drivers to drive more than one minor in a car after dark anyway. We make sure parents know this and remind them during the first year. Also, it is in the troop bylaws as a recommendation. 

Edited by Bad Wolf