New Chief Executive Announced

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bad Wolf, good morning, wish I had read your post above before I posted mine, because you are right.  If the BSA wants a true fresh start, they'd bring an innovator from outside.   Still, I'm moderate

LeCastor, good points all.   Change is necessary.   But my beef with many of the BSA's changes over the years is that the changes dispensed with traditional, outdoor-oriented, successful aspects of sc

I guess I'm a bit more methodical on this. As a numbers person, I know the BSA has internal problems that far far out weigh uniforms and local option (uniforms?). For the past 15 years posters have be

Actually being skeptical and a bit negative I guess.  Have read so many comments over the past couple of years aimed at our last two or three CSE's that I suspect I fear similar treatment with this one.  Hopefully I am simply being overly cynical.  Other than what I read on the link, I know nothing about the man. 

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/7745-introducing-your-new-chief-scout/ <- Wayne Brock

More was known about Brock from his WBtv Youtube videos. From that thread my comments May 2012

"In an interview with The Chronicle, Mr. Brock said he would focus on increasing the groups membership in the short time he has. What that does is put pressure on me to do it faster and not waste any time, he said. http://philanthropy....O-Makes/131942/   I hope so, here's some advice for your two year term; no extension if membership does not increase. 1. local CO option on "eligibility" for membership and uniform. 2. bring back the scout adventure - we educate them and trust them. Managed risk, no adult patrol outings, and wheelbarrows allowed. Add Eagle project option - solo patrol trek. My $0.02"

Well membership did NOT increase but Wayne got a one year extension. Some progress on item 1. Backwards on item 2.   

Never heard of his replacement, but I offer the same advice.

My $0.02

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/7745-introducing-your-new-chief-scout/ <- Wayne Brock

More was known about Brock from his WBtv Youtube videos. From that thread my comments May 2012

"In an interview with The Chronicle, Mr. Brock said he would focus on increasing the groups membership in the short time he has. What that does is put pressure on me to do it faster and not waste any time, he said. http://philanthropy....O-Makes/131942/   I hope so, here's some advice for your two year term; no extension if membership does not increase. 1. local CO option on "eligibility" for membership and uniform. 2. bring back the scout adventure - we educate them and trust them. Managed risk, no adult patrol outings, and wheelbarrows allowed. Add Eagle project option - solo patrol trek. My $0.02"

Well membership did NOT increase but Wayne got a one year extension. Some progress on item 1. Backwards on item 2.   

Never heard of his replacement, but I offer the same advice.

My $0.02

"Adult patrol outings"?    :blink: Is this a thing?

no adults on patrol outings. 

On a similar line of thought, wouldn't it be great if a scout-led patrol could go to Philmont, summer camp, or even a district camporee without adults attached at the hip belt.

no adults on patrol outings. 

On a similar line of thought, wouldn't it be great if a scout-led patrol could go to Philmont, summer camp, or even a district camporee without adults attached at the hip belt.

OH, I gotcha!   :D

I love the idea of the First Class Hike where you and a buddy can go out on an outing and practice what you've learned.  Going to Philmont sans adults would be an enormous growing opportunity for a Patrol!  However, I fear that, as litigious as the US has become, this will just be a dream for the BSA.  That being said, I applaud Mr. Brock for wanting to make some serious changes.  Stagnation is bad for any organization, in my opinion.

IMHO, increasing membership and 1) are diametrically opposed objectives if 1) is full institution of the "local option".

Pthhhhhhhh... :mad:  Don't go down that rabbit hole Bad Wolf.. We are told we have to play nice.. Especially with this not in "Issues & Politics".. 

Edited by moosetracker

Pthhhhhhhh... Don't go down that rabbit hole Bad Wolf.. We are told we have to play nice.. Especially with this not in "Issues & Politics"..

I simply gave an opinion which was my own and did so in a non-threatening or derogatory manner. If that gets me slapped, so be it.

In '69 when I trekked as a scout at Philmont, most patrols had just ONE adult and most scouts appeared in the15-16 yr old range. Though at least one adult (no 2-deep then) was required,  we would have been fine without him . Oh he was very competent and an Eagle, but we were prepared. Today THREE adults required and scouts appear to be a year or two younger.  Adventure lost. Unless older scouts are hanging around to complete Eagle, they are gone at high school. Older members lost.

My item #1 local option, speaking for our unit, goodbye DRP and we would likely double our new young scouts. Keeping them is where item #2 helps.

Another $0.02

My item #1 local option, speaking for our unit, goodbye DRP and we would likely double our new young scouts. Keeping them is where item #2 helps.

"DRP"?  Sorry, Schiff...I'm having trouble following along today.   :unsure:

Half of my last post is missing...try again

Back to OP (sorry skeptic for sidetrack), how old is he?

Found this background (forget the news media, rely on scout banquet pamphlets  :) )

http://birdvilletroop186.org/history/eagles/pdf/2009-03-07%20Eagle%20Banquet%20Program.pdf

"Mike Surbaugh, became Scout  Executive of the Greater Pittsburgh Council, Boy Scouts of America, on September 1, 2007, succeeding Robert  A. “Alf†Tuggle, who was promoted to Southern Region Director. Mike is an Eagle Scout from Troop 360, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, and is a graduate of West Virginia’s Salem College. He holds a degree in non-profit administration. Mike served on several summer camp staffs for 16 years, serving in Scoutcraft, as Aquatics Director, and as Camp Director. His love of the outdoors was nurtured while serving on the  Camp Tionesta and Camp Anawanna staffs

A career Scouter, Mike began his professional career as a district executive in Jacksonville, Florida, and served Boy Scout Councils in Syracuse, New York, and Minneapolis, Minnesota, in various roles. Prior to joining the Greater Pittsburgh Council, Mike served as Scout Executive for the Sioux Council in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and the Bay Lakes Council in Appleton, Wisconsin, a council that serves 40,000 youths from 200 communities in 22 counties in Northeastern Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. While serving the Bay Lakes Council, in October of 2005, Mr. Surbaugh personally delivered about $30,000 in equipment and tools donated by local Wisconsin communities to the Pine Burr Area Council’s Camp Tiak in Wiggins, Mississippi, a camp ravaged by a direct hit from Hurricane Katrina. He found the camp in ruins, with its remnants “haphazardly scattered like a child’s game of pick-up sticksâ€, in his words. Then, in December, he led a team of about 114 volunteers from the Bay Lakes Council who, armed with hammers, saws, and a bulldozer, helped clean up and rebuild the camp. Their visit coincided with a winter camp for the  Pine Burr Area Council’s younger Scouts and leadership training for its older Scouts, and some of the Bay Lakes Council’s older Scouts who serve as summer camp merit badge counselors helped instruct Mississippi Scouts in pioneering, camping, and first aid during their stay. Along with the Wisconsin volunteers, nearly 160 local Scouts attended the winter camp, which officials had predicted would never happen. It was the first large activity held at Camp Tiak since  Katrina.

Now serving as Scout Executive of the Greater Pittsburgh Council, his is the highest professional position in the council, which serves more than 49,500 youths and involves 8,000 adult volunteers in Allegheny, Beaver, Washington and Greene counties, and portions of Westmoreland and Fayette counties. …"

Edited by RememberSchiff

"DRP"?  Sorry, Schiff...I'm having trouble following along today.   :unsure:

Declaration of Religious Priniciples

Regarding Mike. The guy's a sharp tack.

While here, he returned phone calls personally, talked knowledgeably about volunteer and professional human resources, had a good idea of what scouts and venturers were looking for in a summer camp, and was not preachy about political agendas. He didn't show-boat. As far as I could tell, whoever was doing the most work got the lion's share of his time.

I wouldn't expect him to muck about with changes in principle. I would expect him to point out what's working in one part of the country and encourage the rest of us to get on board.

@@RememberSchiff, thanks for the detail on this guy.

So the original post was...

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/05/13/bsa-names-michael-surbaugh-its-13th-chief-scout-executive/

So, does he get a short respite from being beat up; or do some start immediately?  

I'll push the topic with this: Does BSA need a guy who is essentially a home-grown BSA person, spent his life in BSA and has a degree in non-profit management? Or does BSA need someone from the outside with fresh ideas and a proven track record of successful business acumen BUT is deeply knowledgeable about BSA processes, procedures and policies?

The former will know more but comes with all the assumed baggage. That latter will not have the internal baggage but may not have the depth of knowledge of the former. Which does BSA need right now?

Edited by Bad Wolf