Where Do Knots Come From, Daddy?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am very thankful for the area I live in and the Scouters I deal with. I've been a Scouter for over 35 years and I can't recall ever being looked down on because I was not wearing any knots (or blin

I've thought about this several times..... my theory us scouters that have interest enough to put energy into it... going to round tables, training, and even reading this forum... we like the "game

Stosh, that's some unusually twisted logic you're weaving with! so:   Character is what a person does  (wears a chestful of knots) when no one is watching. When no one is at RT?  Ah, no YOUTH at RT

I had the priviledge of meeting William "Green Bar Bill"  Hillcourt at a training course for SPL's in 1961 at Camp Schiff Scout Reservation.

He was just a great man. Still remember him as soft spoken and very gentle.  Wish I still had my Camp Schiff Neckerchief that he signed!

I had the priviledge of meeting William "Green Bar Bill"  Hillcourt at a training course for SPL's in 1961 at Camp Schiff Scout Reservation.

He was just a great man. Still remember him as soft spoken and very gentle.  Wish I still had my Camp Schiff Neckerchief that he signed!

Dave,

Meeting Green Bar Bill...SPL training...at Schiff.....

Doesn't get much better than that!  

But he's wearing da beads!

But no knots. One medal which is only for ceremony. Still a simple, clean look. Does not belay his experience, but the man does that not the bling. ;)

I personally find it a little weird that adults wear the uniform with all the bling. I just don't get wearing the uniform to round table, training etc, I just don't. Scouting is a youth program it always seems like adults are trying to relive something when they put on all the bling, beads etc.

In addition to having mostly bad experiences with those guys and gals it feels to me like they are trying to make the program about them, though I believe (or at least want to) that plenty of good guys and gals are wearing all the bling. 

• Upvote 1

I personally find it a little weird that adults wear the uniform with all the bling. I just don't get wearing the uniform to round table, training etc, I just don't. Scouting is a youth program it always seems like adults are trying to relive something when they put on all the bling, beads etc.

In addition to having mostly bad experiences with those guys and gals it feels to me like they are trying to make the program about them, though I believe (or at least want to) that plenty of good guys and gals are wearing all the bling. 

Yeah, I've been 'turned off' by the social climate of the 'insiders' at times as well. At the same time I know a couple of guys who look the part of 'the general' but actually have been quite humble and helpful. It's easy, when you feel the sting of exclusion or someone's arrogance to stereotype them by appearance (and it does seem those arrogant types rarely have a uniform without the 'bling').

I try to remember that until they 'tip their hand' by words or deeds, everyone must be viewed as individuals. I simply choose not to wear all that stuff 1) because it's not important to me and 2) I don't want anyone to mistake me for one of 'the generals'. I've been excluded before...and now I really don't want to join that crowd.

Edited by "Q"
  • Upvote 1

As an adult in the program for many years, taking on different roles, I have different uniforms.  I have a bling encrusted uniform for special occasions and a very simple minimalist UC uniform when I visit other units or attend RT or doing something that isn't related to the unit I serve as SM.  I have a basic uniform with knots, no pins for the "everyday stuff".  

Not everyone can afford multiple uniforms.

I do believe it's important that some sort of uniform be worn if one is going to lead by example.

• Upvote 1

I think there are a lot of factors involved in folks wearing knots.

Pride is one of them. I know I am very proud that I'm part of the then 2% that earned Eagle.

Showing accomplishments is another. I have dealt mostly with Cub Scouts, and  parents are more comfortable with folks with knots and other "swank" as BP called it, because it shows commitment and experience. Grant you, when I started back in Cubs with the oldest 6 years ago, those knots had more to do with Boy Scout level and district level service than Cubs.

Also I too have had negative experiences with some folks looking at my uniform and seeing my lack of knots and beads, and not taking me seriously. I've been told I don't know anything about the program, I've been called a puppet mouthing what folks want said, and I have been ignored. All because I only wore 3 knots at the time.

As I have discovered, negativity can destroy even the most positive of things. And I do beleive the BSA recognizing leaders is a good thing

And I remember a story I read about the Korean War. A self important captain walks into a command post and starts making a fool of himself. He sees this grizzled old veteran wearing a field jacket with the insignia not visible in a chair, with his feet on some boxes not responding.  He confronts the vet only to find its his regimental CO. So never judge a book by it's cover.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 1

Also I too have had negative experiences with some folks looking at my uniform and seeing my lack of knots and beads, and not taking me seriously. I've been told I don't know anything about the program, I've been called a puppet mouthing what folks want said, and I have been ignored. All because I only wore 3 knots at the time.

The only knot I ever turned in paperwork on was the Tiger know, which I wear. I've been on the receiving end of that attitude right there and it sort of cemented in me the desire to abstain from knots. 

Man, I sure hope ppl don't think I'm a jerk...

Not to worry... or should I say knot to worry, People must think I'm a hypocrite because I have a basic uniform and a bling uniform.  

• Upvote 1

Not to worry... or should I say knot to worry, People must think I'm a hypocrite because I have a basic uniform and a bling uniform.  

nah, I realize there are good guys with all the bling, I just haven't meet em in person yet. I do my best to reserve judgment on new people I meet but multiple bad encounters with the same type of people can quickly sour you on all similar people. 

I work for the "evil empire", aka "the district", as membership chair.  So my Evil Empire uniform has one knot: New-Unit Organizer.  I feel like that knot fits the uniform and recognizes that I, as the one charged with growing the empire, have in fact started new units.   ;)