Unsolicited Troop Hosting Of A Camproee

If a district was to start a new policy of picking a Troop's name out of a hat to hold the next camproee (no matter if that troop wanted to host or not) would your Troop participate?

Before you answer, the hosting troop can not pick the theme or events, as the district will provide these to the troop, and  if the Troop decides not to host, they are not allowed to attend that camproee.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What an opportunity!   District: "Troop XYZ is hereby charged with hosting Camporee."   A week before Camporee, Troop XYZ: "Here's the schedule of responsibilities for the following District perso

Nope, I'm with Bad Wolf on this one.  The customer is the scout, if the districts don't support the units who are working directly with the customer (scouts) then when something goes wrong, the custom

Say what? My troop uses District for very little.  ALL of what we get from District are things that District (or BSA) requires of us.  Elaborate powerpoint training, complicated chartering, and, of

Let's see...

1. Boys' decide whether to host a camporee? No.

2. Boys' decide on theme for camporee they host? No.

3. Boys' decide on events at camporee they host? No.

4. Boys' decide/allowed to attend district camporee? No.

So much for boy-led.

I think my answer is obvious.

• Upvote 1

My district tried somethinglike that, specifically it would go down theunit number list to decide who runs the leaders' crackerbarrels.  It was a failure.

I admit I really want the youth participating in cemporee events instead of running them. But those Scouts WILLING to host and run should have full power to decide hwo things are going to be.

My answer would be 'See you nect year."

Besides what DuctTape & Eagle state which I agree with.. Some troops are not strong enough to host a camporee.. With our district we have troops hosting, but we would like them to volunteer.. It ends up falling on the shoulders of our stronger troops a lot, but that is no good either because they get burned out..  If they are overwhelmed you will find little organized and the date fast approaching.

We have had two or three smaller troops work together to put on one..  This might take a bit of match making and coordination, but it give our strong troops a bit of a rest, and it allows boys in the smaller weaker troops do something they wouldn't be able to pull off otherwise..  It also hopefully gives the boys a big project to focus on and get excited about and get some leadership experience if the smaller troops have leaders that will let the boys lead.. Or perhaps an adult led troop gets to work with a smaller boy led troop to put on a camporee and the boy led troop can teach the adult lead troop a thing or two..

So if I read it right, the hosting troop is a) directed to hold the camporee, and if they accept, they b) would have the responsibility to run it, and c) yet no authority to run their way?

If I was still wearing an SM/ASM patch, my vote would be "no thanks."   Or words to that effect, as this is a family-oriented forum.   Then we might find some other like-minded troops and have our own encampment.  With zero district involvement.

oldisnewagain1, what does the "hosting" actually entail?

But unless the answer is far different that what I am expecting, this would probably produce a revolt in our district.  Our district camporees are organized and run by a committee at the district level, which includes volunteers from units.  But the volunteerism is voluntary.

What an opportunity!

District: "Troop XYZ is hereby charged with hosting Camporee."

A week before Camporee, Troop XYZ: "Here's the schedule of responsibilities for the following District personnel. A list of materials to be provided in order to conduct your session is attached.  We're camping somewhere else.  Have fun!"

• Upvote 3

What an opportunity!

District: "Troop XYZ is hereby charged with hosting Camporee."

A week before Camporee, Troop XYZ: "Here's the schedule of responsibilities for the following District personnel. A list of materials to be provided in order to conduct your session is attached.  We're camping somewhere else.  Have fun!"

ROFL!!! @@JoeBob has the right idea!!! I would donate $300 to have a seat at THAT RT to watch the fireworks!!!

• Upvote 1

oldisnewagain1, what does the "hosting" actually entail?

But unless the answer is far different that what I am expecting, this would probably produce a revolt in our district.  Our district camporees are organized and run by a committee at the district level, which includes volunteers from units.  But the volunteerism is voluntary.

The troop would provide the site and the manpower to run the camporee.

The troop would provide the site and the manpower to run the camporee.

"Provide the site"? Can't it just be at the council's camp? (Assuming there still is one.)

Most of our district camporees are at county parks, though occasionally they use one of the council's "summer" camps. I assume there is a cost involved with the county parks.