Don't Bs The Weather Requirement

So, the family was out hiking in Witchita Mts today, and once Mrs Q and I showered in OKC we drove back through a severe storm to Daughter's place in Norman. The kids are now on the couch howling at the weather report on channel 9.

1. There was hail, but the ground was not covered with it; however, someone sent a picture of what could have been an empty beer cooler of ice around a weather gauge on two square feet of ground by the edge of their house.

2. While the weatherman was jawing about resulting ground fog, I stepped outside and could see a couple of miles in either direction. Visibility had been bad during the drive back at times because of occasionally intense rain bands and WE WERE UNDER THE ANVIL where sunshine is unlikely to penetrate.

3. I'd reasonably say the car was pummeled with golfball size hail. On occasion. There is no reason to go on describing every other size ("not baseball, but some quarter, dime, and even pea...")

If you see video of some northerners making a mock forecast with terrible drawls, please be kind to them, the do love you all, but they are so happy to be together again that they are chock full of the sillies ... We also saw some ruined houses and downed timber back where no news truck would go, so we're praying for the bad week some folks are having.

All that to say there is a big difference between what a fella sees out his own back door every day for a week and what gets put in the record books. Don't let your Cubs think they deserve a rank for depending on someone else's news.

Welcome to the Great Plains!

I have to chuckle a bit when is see folks from the two other ends of the country visit us. They look outside see clear sky and think, "What a beautiful day!". Folks who live here are thinking, "Chance of tornados today."

Two things I can HIGHLY recommend. First, take the advanced spotter training from NOAA's SkyWarn group. This is a free course and well worth the time. Both the basic and advanced classes teach how to recognize inclement weather signs hours before the results can been see or felt. Class link here: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/skywarn/

After you take that class check out the Storm Prediction Center's website. Once you learn to navigate and read this data you will be able to follow and predict where the inclement weather will hit. You will see watches and warnings in real time, EXACTLY when weathermen on TV see them. Website for SPC is here: http://www.spc.noaa.gov

While the BSA training is better than nothing, this training is like taking WRFA or native nail camping school or LNT Trainer training. You'll become a regular weatherman. Training your boys in this area is KEY. Our unit started this five years ago and our guys rock at weather watching. ;)

Edited by Bad Wolf

BTW, here's a super cell I was following yesterday. Dropped three tornados along a major highway. Thankfully no one was injured but the spring crops of two farms and a wind turbine were taken out.

post-23094-0-72853200-1431176584_thumb.jpg

post-23094-0-47643900-1431176593_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

My daughter and I narrowly escaped one of these things once. In my rear view mirror I could see cars and trailers from a roadside sales lot being blasted across the highway behind me as if they were leaves in a fall storm. My wife heard the warnings and where it hit and knew we were there. The look of relief and tears of joy when she saw my daughter was memorable. As for me... well, there was always insurance.

I never minimize this stuff.

Edited by packsaddle

@@packsaddle,@@qwazse and everyone....

Almost forgot my other bit of outdoor advice, pick yourself up a NOAA weather radio. Radio Shack sells a multi band one which is very rugged. These are OUTSTANDING things to have in your car and backpack. They scan all channels for the local NOAA stations near you. You can program to get nearly ANY type of warning such as severe weather, snow, fire, flood, hurricane, Etc. A must have piece gear!!!

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Took Weather and Climate in college, was a weather spotter when I was responsible for medical on the emergency response team, lived in Tornado Alley most of my life.

I could never figure out as a kid how the old farmers could stand on their front porch in the morning and know what the weather was going to do for the rest of the day.  Now I know.

When I was a kid they told us never to pitch our tent in a low spot, but what they didn't tell you was you had better know where that low spot was.  They never told you to look UP when picking out your campsite, but the age of trees, dead branches and such can cause all kinds of problems, let alone draw in the lightening.  And golf-ball sized hail and larger can kill you if you are caught in the open.  In certain countries, stoning to death is a form of capital punishment.  A hail storm can be just as effective.

• Upvote 1

@, great suggestions. I have a NOAA weather radio ... couldn't find a station. Weather spotting skills were my best friend. Minimized panic. At least you can see what's coming. In PA and WV, we fly blind.

Winds were below 50 ... I call it a good day.

@, great suggestions. I have a NOAA weather radio ... couldn't find a station. Weather spotting skills were my best friend. Minimized panic. At least you can see what's coming. In PA and WV, we fly blind.

Spent a great deal of time in WVA (Dolly Sods, Seneca, Monongalia NF, etc.). Getting a signal in the mountains is rough. If you hit the SPC site before you heads out you can see the patterns and know what to expect. Might luck out in to a signal up towards Elkins or Morgantown, further east towards Harper's Ferry for sure. SW towards Charleston is also a bit easier. East of that towards Slatyfork and along that ridge line, good luck. ;)

If doing a search for the SAME coded station for your location does not work, try setting the SAME code manually. Codes can be found here. Some radios are not very user friendly but if you take the time to work through the menu system you can really customize your radio.