Is there any word as to when the e-training courses will be updated to reflect the new cub scout program? I am re-taking the Tiger Cub den-leader online course at scouting.org, and it has not been updated yet.

A follow-up to my own post, according to the program updates page on scouting.org (http://www.scouting.org/Home/programupdates.aspx):

The online training for den leaders, Cubmasters, committee chairs and members, and chartered organization representatives has been totally updated with help from volunteers from around the country. The new training will be divided into shorter, more targeted modules so leaders can get the training they need, in the order they want, any time they need it. The new training is organized around the learning needed prior to the first meeting, in the first 30 days, and to be position-specific trained. This new training was developed to be implemented in conjunction with the BSA’s new learning management system. The anticipated timing for launching this new tool is June 30, 2015. Keep an eye on MyScouting Tools (logging in through MyScouting.org link-html.gif) for more information.

So, by inference, I suppose the e-training courses will be updated on June 30th along with the new learning management system.

As Pack Trainer for my pack, I find it difficult to get on anyone's case to get their training done until the BSA makes the updated e-training available to pack leadership. It appears that in-person training of the new program is being provided by my council, but my pack's leadership is notoriously bad at taking advantage of such offerings.

As Pack Trainer for my pack, I find it difficult to get on anyone's case to get their training done until the BSA makes the updated e-training available to pack leadership. It appears that in-person training of the new program is being provided by my council, but my pack's leadership is notoriously bad at taking advantage of such offerings.

Our new Council Executive basically told our district and council trainers to stop doing in-person training including IOLS, OWLS, BALOO etc.. For some reason he figures more will get trained if you tell them scouter train thy self...   Our DE and district trainer are ignoring him, they don't do as many in-person training for IOLS, OWLS, BALOO but still offer it.. They don't offer anything now that is on-line.. 

When did BALOO, OWLS, and ITOLS become online courses?

And why am I not surprised the new training modules won't be available until AFTER the new program goes into effect.

Thankfully the literature came out on time!

They aren't, that's why with those our district ignores the orders in order to teach them at least once a year (it was twice).. Council Executive thinks if they just throw troops & packs the syllabus and tell them to train themselves that the Council will get training done faster..  Not too many besides the CE think this is a good idea, but when they totally ignored him he got angry, so now they half ignore him..  But, now in our Council you can mark yourself trained for a course if a) you think you know it  b) you glance over the syllabus and think you know it c) your Pack/troop try to take the syllabus and do the course  d) if you take the secretive, illegally held district course (if your district offers that)

Per our Council :  "No more training, No more training.. All trainers have officially been retired from voluntary service.."

• 3 weeks later...

A follow-up to my own post, according to the program updates page on scouting.org (http://www.scouting.org/Home/programupdates.aspx):

The online training for den leaders, Cubmasters, committee chairs and members, and chartered organization representatives has been totally updated with help from volunteers from around the country. The new training will be divided into shorter, more targeted modules so leaders can get the training they need, in the order they want, any time they need it. The new training is organized around the learning needed prior to the first meeting, in the first 30 days, and to be position-specific trained. This new training was developed to be implemented in conjunction with the BSA’s new learning management system. The anticipated timing for launching this new tool is June 30, 2015. Keep an eye on MyScouting Tools (logging in through MyScouting.org link-html.gif) for more information.

So, by inference, I suppose the e-training courses will be updated on June 30th along with the new learning management system.

I was just looking for this on the website, thank you! As a rising Webelos leader and also our pack's trainer, I was curious as to when  we should be seeing this as I noticed the old ones were still up. We shall see if its up then :)

I'm deeply disturbed that there are Councils that don't want to hold Welot/IOLS classes. These are fantastic hands on classes and could truly make a difference in a Scouters experience when it comes to camping, not to mention it teaches you how to do things the safe way. Not everything can be learned from reading the book. Hands on is s must sometimes

They aren't, that's why with those our district ignores the orders in order to teach them at least once a year (it was twice).. Council Executive thinks if they just throw troops & packs the syllabus and tell them to train themselves that the Council will get training done faster..  Not too many besides the CE think this is a good idea, but when they totally ignored him he got angry, so now they half ignore him..  But, now in our Council you can mark yourself trained for a course if a) you think you know it  b) you glance over the syllabus and think you know it c) your Pack/troop try to take the syllabus and do the course  d) if you take the secretive, illegally held district course (if your district offers that)

Per our Council :  "No more training, No more training.. All trainers have officially been retired from voluntary service.."

That is horrible.  As a course director for OWLS which we always do in conjunction with IOLS it is a ton of work to get staff for the courses, the information is valuable and well received.  

I know every district is different, and some delegate training courses to the Pack Trainer. But I know of packs with no trainers, and I've met trainers with lots of knowledge about program, but little in regards to the outdoors.

I agree with Mash in that the outdoor trainers I know are a wealth of knowledge.

Well the trainers in our council were NOT happy with this either..  I was the District Trainer for a time, my son is doing it now.. Both my son and I were trying to push the council training group to allow us to do the IOLS test out.. It was still with trainers verifying the scouters knew the stuff, but we had some scouters who did know the stuff, and refused to spend a weekend being taught what they knew but would gladly show us they knew it.. The rest of the council training group had made it illegal to use the test out, and we could not budge them.. I can't remember their reasoning as it was several years back and I disagreed with their logic.. But, to me it sounded like "We know stuff, they just think they know stuff.. We need to teach them the stuff or they will do it wrong..".. They could not understand the test out had them showing us they knew the right way..

So take this type of a Council level training group and merge it with an SE who doesn't want them to teach (or test out) at all, but just let everyone teach themselves..  Well I was no longer going to the Council training meetings, but I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear the discussion in that room when new SE met the council training group !!! I can imagine lots of fireworks..

The SE is wonderful in everything else.. Very program oriented and has spent money to improve the camps and other programs that directly benefit the scouts, rather then just lines his pockets..  For some reason he just has it in his head more scouters will get trained (?properly?) if they can train themselves at their convenience rather then having to find when & where a course will be held and schedule and travel to it.. 

• Upvote 1