Best Memory Of Camping From Your Youth

The memory that still makes me chuckle.....

My last summer camp as a scout in 1993.

The first evening after pitching camp we went for a tour of the campsite. Bear in mind that girls had only been allowed into scouts in the UK since 1991 so most troops, including mine were all boys. During the tour we noticed a troop of Girl Guides camped and knowing looks passed between me and the other two patrol leaders.

On about day 3, with a few hours of free time, the three of us did something strange, we took a shower! We found some clean clothes, combed our hair and rerolled our neckers. We looked vaguely presentable! Off we went to find the troop of Girl Guides..... and found them we did. We introduced ourselves, smiled, and tried to be charming. Within a couple of minutes of getting there their leader appeared out of their kitchen tent, with the largest kitchen knife I'd ever seen in her hand. She demanded to know who we were, informed us she knew exactly what we wanted and proceeded to chase us across the campsite still brandishing the enormous kitchen knife.

We didn't go back.

Still chuckle at the memory!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 1977 Jamboree is pretty high on my list.  I also remember the shows, eating buffalo for the first time, and cutting my finger open while whittling sitting out the rain in a tent!  But, since Jambo

Well, I cannot say this is my "best" memory but the 1977 Jamboree at "More Rain" State Park stands out. Having to dig trenches around our regiment tents in order channel the water around (or through)

Camp raids were always fun.  Now that everyone has free-standing tents, that tradition has gone by the wayside.   I also remember the boys would roll from one wall tent at summer camp to the next, h

The memory that still makes me chuckle.....

My last summer camp as a scout in 1993.

The first evening after pitching camp we went for a tour of the campsite. Bear in mind that girls had only been allowed into scouts in the UK since 1991 so most troops, including mine were all boys. During the tour we noticed a troop of Girl Guides camped and knowing looks passed between me and the other two patrol leaders.

On about day 3, with a few hours of free time, the three of us did something strange, we took a shower! We found some clean clothes, combed our hair and rerolled our neckers. We looked vaguely presentable! Off we went to find the troop of Girl Guides..... and found them we did. We introduced ourselves, smiled, and tried to be charming. Within a couple of minutes of getting there their leader appeared out of their kitchen tent, with the largest kitchen knife I'd ever seen in her hand. She demanded to know who we were, informed us she knew exactly what we wanted and proceeded to chase us across the campsite still brandishing the enormous kitchen knife.

We didn't go back.

Still chuckle at the memory!

I guess she wasn't much into youth-led... :)

My favorite was not with scouts. My father had been bringing me into the woods and on canoe trips since I was an infant. At one point I was finally "old enough" to go with him on his annual weeklong canoe trip to Algonquin Provincial park, the NW corner. On that trip we saw moose, a fox (walked right into our campsite at breakfast, the northern lights. Watched birds drop fresh water mussels onto a rock island and then eat through the cracked shells. We made blueberry pancakes with wild blueberries found nearby. Invented a few camping recipes the last few days as our pantry was getting thin. The best was linguini, garlic, olive oil and mussels from the lake. While the adventure was great, it was my favorite because it felt like by going on this trip I had finally earned the trust of my father as an equal partner in the wilderness.

• Upvote 1

1970 something JLITC training (now called NYLT)

It was raining when we were dropped off at the camp. It was raining when I got called up to be assigned Patrol Leader. It was raining when our Patrol arrived at our site, had to assemble the platforms, and put up our tents. It rained when we were starting a fire to cook our meals.

It continued to rain for the next six days and we were in some form or fashion wet the entire time. When we were not being rained on, like in our tent, it was the attack of the killer mosquitoes. (And they thought the anti bug spray tasted great)

The only time there was sun was just before getting in the car to go home.

All that being said, I wouldn't trade the things I learned about myself or the friends I make for any other campout.