Does Anybody Still Use White Gas (Coleman Fuel)

I was in Cabelas the other day and happened to take a gander at the price of Coleman Fuel and nearly fell out when I saw it was $16.00 a gallon.   It got me to wonder if anybody still used it to power stoves and lanterns or has everybody goine to Propane which is so much cheaper?    I can remember some campouts where we might go through a couple of gallons of fuel powering the stove.  That would be big time expensieve now.

I actually still use white gas, literally. I mean you can't find Amoco anymore (bought by BP) but any premium unleaded will do, especially if it's 'no ethanol'. Just have to clean things more often.

My Troop uses propane for car camping and isopro-butane for backpacking stoves. 

Ditto. Only use white gas under certain conditions (winter camp, anything above 10,000ft).

Edited by Bad Wolf

I use white gas and unleaded all the time.  

I pay extra for the white gas because if it leaks it doesn't make everything smell like a gas station.

I do have a white gas/propane two burner as well.

Last weekend it was white gas and candles for the adults.  Boys used propane, charcoal and wood.

I used a small LED flashlight in the tent.

No. But the majority of adult leaders are addicted to propane. Thus the scouts, "I learned it from watching you."

It isnt like we cannot have fires, they boys still do a fire but only for "campfire" it serves no practical function.

It isnt like we cannot have fires, they boys still do a fire but only for "campfire" it serves no practical function.

Depends on where you live. In much of the west there is severe drought and fire danger. Red flag warnings keep our unit from having open fires or using charcoal. Heck, even liquid accelerant cannot be used which rules out many other cooking fuels. In most areas it is propane only.

At one point we had a fire ban in NC for so long that we had NSPs that didn't even know how to build one! And when we were able to get a firebuilding event at camporee ( It's good to have the firemarshall as an SM ;)  ) one 1 patrol was able to build the fire, cook the noodle, and tie it in a square knot! Even then, they could not do it in the 30 minutes allocated. It took them 31 minutes and they lost 10 points.

My son's troop had a tradition, and the fireban stopped it. One meal HAD to be cooked over an open flame/wood coals. They stopped it for a while, and haven't started it back up yet.

Depends on where you live. In much of the west there is severe drought and fire danger. Red flag warnings keep our unit from having open fires or using charcoal. Heck, even liquid accelerant cannot be used which rules out many other cooking fuels. In most areas it is propane only.

Agreed that some places it is impractical or illegal. That is why I made the statement that for us, those were not the obstacles.

Liquid accelerant isn't needed for wood or charcoal. 

fire ban

reminds me a family camp I took once to a state park where they had a county wide ban.

so no camp fires.

but you could use a grille as long as it had a lid

so I bought a little disposable table top grille at the local grocery, and cooked smores over that. 

It was comical... the thing was so cheap and rickety that I was afraid it would fall over from a stiff breeze.  

I put it IN the fire ring for safety.

what a joke

Liquid accelerant isn't needed for wood or charcoal. 

No. But you cannot use wood or charcoal during burn bans.

At one point we had a fire ban in NC for so long that we had NSPs that didn't even know how to build one!

Where my brother lives in west Texas they have a state park that has only lifted their burn ban once in the last seven years!!