How Do We Make Uniforming A Viable Method?

"No takers on the red berets though.  That was beyond useless."

Stosh, I'll say this much about the red beret:  on campouts, they made great pot holders.   When you're cooking bacon in that aluminum frying pan, the beret came in handy (for once). :)

...and frisbees during free time.

Lord those things were ugly.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it depends on what you see as the purpose of uniform.   Young people have a very basic desire to "belong" to something, that's the same where ever you are in the world. And that in itself is

@@Stosh, you'll love this. Went to camp in NM one year. A small unit (12 boys) from AZ were there. They wore the COMPLETE uniform from 1968....including the folding cap. They looked SHARP! One of the

Our unit's QM actively contacts scouts leaving the program to collect unneeded gear. He maintains an inventory and we open it up to any scouts who need gear.

And together with the green/red socks pulled up the knees while wearing scout shorts... the ugliest uniform was complete.

And together with the green/red socks pulled up the knees while wearing scout shorts... the ugliest uniform was complete.

You forgot the garters. ;)

You forgot the garters. ;)

The '70s uniform!   Funky!

Edited by desertrat77

I happen to think I look fabulous in my red-topped knee socks and shorts.   :wub:

Wha's wrong with the knee socks.  We have bramble bushes and poison ivy around here and when I wear shorts, I really like the protection.

How about the old gaiters that the scouts wore in the '60's?  That was a useless piece of equipment.  Even the leggings of the teens and twenties had a function.  

:)

Wha's wrong with the knee socks.  We have bramble bushes and poison ivy around here and when I wear shorts, I really like the protection.

How about the old gaiters that the scouts wore in the '60's?  That was a useless piece of equipment.  Even the leggings of the teens and twenties had a function.  

:)

Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder,I still maintain the red/green socks pulled to the knee along with the red beret to match wins first prize in the uggo uni contest.

I am not familiar with the gaiters from the 60s, but I use gaiters now. They are very functional. Perhaps they are more like the ones from the 20s. I also rarely wear shorts while in the woods. Clothing is a tool and one chooses the correct tool for the job.

Even in the tropics I don't wear shorts..for exactly the reasons DuctTape describes. Protection. If you want to cool off, wet them down and enjoy the evaporative cooling effect. Works on shirts too.

Edited by packsaddle

@@Stosh,.......

Our unit wears Class A for AM and PM meals as well as flags. Quick truck back to camp and swap out Class A shirt for Class C (color of the day). Class B is in their day pack for lunch meal wearing.......

I know they're not an official thing... but for your guys, what is the class B and the class C?

I understand generally that "class B" is considered a unit T-shirt, and some will add that it's won with the field uniform pants, belts, etc....

but C is a new one for me.....  C for civilian free for all?

I know they're not an official thing... but for your guys, what is the class B and the class C?

I understand generally that "class B" is considered a unit T-shirt, and some will add that it's won with the field uniform pants, belts, etc....

but C is a new one for me..... C for civilian free for all?

Class A is uniform shirt, shorts and socks.

Class A Formal is with sash.

Class B is troop shirt (a polo style shirt), uniform shorts and socks.

Class C is troop t-shirt. We have one color (red) which is standard. At summer camp we have one per day (red, green, yellow, orange, blue) and scout shorts/socks.

Edited by Bad Wolf

It's whatever the troop or camp says it is.  For BSA there is "the Boy Scout uniform" (formerly the "Field Uniform") consisting of a selection of one of several shirts (or a coat), one of several trousers or shorts, one of several styles of socks, and one of several belts.  Headgear and neckerchiefs optional.

I eschew the military terminolgy for BSA uniforms. I understand that for many it allows them to generate a internal understanding of how they define different uniform options. I am if the school that scouts is NOT paramilitary and we should avoid interjecting military terms where it increases the perception that scouts should be run like the military. The entire concept of boy-led runs counter to the chain of command rank structure of the military. The uniform is whatever the patrol decides it is, not the SPL or SM or troop committee.