New Cub Scout Program

Maybe it is my imagination but I thought I saw somewhere that the "arrow points" (the cloth arrows that went below the Wolf and Bear badges) were being eliminated. Is that true?

I'm just asking out of curiosity and nostalgia. Contrary to my account-name, I haven't actually been involved with the Cub Scout program since my son crossed over more than 10 years ago.

Maybe it is my imagination but I thought I saw somewhere that the "arrow points" (the cloth arrows that went below the Wolf and Bear badges) were being eliminated. Is that true?

I'm just asking out of curiosity and nostalgia. Contrary to my account-name, I haven't actually been involved with the Cub Scout program since my son crossed over more than 10 years ago.

I asked about that last night and that is correct.  I do not mind at all.  Those arrow points were hard to sew even more difficult to remove.  (Little boy has a few arrow points on his shirt because the only way I could figure to get them off was to cut them out and didn't want holes in his shirt.)

its true, i was disappointed when i found this out as well, partly nostalgia, partly because my son was a wolf last year and earned wolf arrow points, but now his bear side will look empty.  

• 1 month later...

Wanted to share a site with the forum, most explanations about the new cub scouting program only explain it all by referencing the old program - too confusing for someone who is not familiar with either one! Simple to understand and they have a really great pamphlet that our pack passes out to parents. Ours has been on the fridge and is used multiple times during the week. Keeps the boys excited about passing things off and keeps me organized.

site: http://cubscoutguru.com/

pamphlet: http://cubscoutguru.com/downloads/understanding-cub-scouts/

We are getting ready for our first district event without belt loops and pins. Some parents don't understand why their son should attend. I have explained that they will be able to work on some rank requirements. I'm not sure they really understand the purpose of scouting if they are only focused on what awards their kid can get. I get met with grumpy faces and comments when I explain that the boys will be doing some things for fun.

Mom2a, our pack is in a similar situation but the leaders are merely offering the opportunity to attend the district event. No leader is trying to convince anyone. That gives every family the freedom to choose for themselves, as it should be (and as it actually IS in reality).

AnnF, that is a very useful link, thanks.

Mom2A,  Why are you insisting that the parent have a good time with their child?   You don't want to come between the parent and THEIR good time, do you?   Heaven forbid the parent should have to connect with their progeny.

I remind folks (why the need? ) that if they have no connection/bond with their boy by the time he is twelve, they will have no connection with him when he is 18....

Thank you for your efforts in creating good citizens, in spite of the parents efforts to the contrary.    What better citizens can we have than ones that live life by the Scout Promise and Law?   "A Scout is T,L,H,F,C,K,O,C,T,B,C, and R."