New Cub Scout Program

The latest issue of Scouting Magazine is all about the brand new Cub Scout program.  How are you implementing this program in your council?  Is Roundtable a good place to introduce this to Pack volunteers?

We've been using RTs fand the suggestes matrials from national about the new program since January.

Biggest complaint is that folks wanted the materials, at least the leaders' info, 2-3 months ago so they could plan the upcoming year. Especially the district activities that take a year to plan.

Our district has been previewing as much of this as we could since December/January as well.  I agree with Eagle94.  All of our volunteers have been begging for information since February.  Luckily for my pack I have pieced enough information together between what information has been given to try fill programming needs through the summer.

I just went down and bought new den handbooks to give to den leaders.

Also new Den Leader Guides that presumably suggest prgram ideas.  One for each den level rather than the one package for all den levels that was available until recently.

Got a set of posters featuring the Scout Oath and Law which are replacing the Cub Scout Promise and Law of the Pack.

$111 for that.    Scouting is getting to be an expensive luxury.

A Cub Scout neckerchief and slide was about $18  --- $20 including sales tax around here.

I guess Cub Scout families have more money than they know what to do with,  although not the ones attending our recruiting night last night.

Edited by SeattlePioneer
  • 2 months later...

I'm more disappointed in the skyrocket in the price of the "immediate recognition" aka belt loops.  Previously 5.99 gave you a kit that lasted all year, per boy.  Now its 1.39 per boy times 7....at minimum.....

Is it correct that now the boys just earn rank belt loops and no more badge?  

No, the boys will get a belt loop for each adventure they complete.  Tiger/Wolf/Bear have 6 required and one elective Adventure, when they complete those 7, they get their rank badge.  They can earn other belt loops as elective.

Webelos will continue to earn pins, similar to before, but they are also now called Adventures.  Complete 5 required and 2 elective pins for the Webelos badge, and 4 required pins and 3 elective ones for the Arrow of Light.

No, the boys will get a belt loop for each adventure they complete.  Tiger/Wolf/Bear have 6 required and one elective Adventure, when they complete those 7, they get their rank badge.  They can earn other belt loops as elective.

Webelos will continue to earn pins, similar to before, but they are also now called Adventures.  Complete 5 required and 2 elective pins for the Webelos badge, and 4 required pins and 3 elective ones for the Arrow of Light.

Thanks!  I have been reading what I'd found on the new program, but I didn't seem to see awards- just what they had to do to earn them.  Is the rank patch any different?  The reason I ask is that I was told my son has till the end of August to get his wolf (the former version), otherwise I've got to go to the store, buy the patch, and save it for when he actually earns it.  

Thanks!  I have been reading what I'd found on the new program, but I didn't seem to see awards- just what they had to do to earn them.  Is the rank patch any different?  The reason I ask is that I was told my son has till the end of August to get his wolf (the former version), otherwise I've got to go to the store, buy the patch, and save it for when he actually earns it.  

The Rank Patch is the same, with the exception of the Tiger Rank.  They have dropped "cub" from the rank being just "Tiger" now.  

I'm not sure where or why the august deadline was given to you as the program runs from June 1 to May 31.  If your scout has not earned the rank by then he must start working on the next rank on June 1.  

(LDS units I believe may be different however.  If that pertains to you, I apologize as I'm not familiar with LDS rules)

this is how I understand it, if i'm incorrect, i'm sure someone will chime in

Interesting situation came up tonite as a result of the new program. My middle son has a late birthday,  and will turn 10 this year. Since he will meet the " six months since turning 10" requirement for the AOLby the end of the school year, he now has a goal of earning his Arrow of Light by May so he can " go to summer camp...." He knows that the Webelos badge is no longer required for AOL, and instead of working on the Webelos Badge, he wants to start working on AOL instead.

For example, for both the Webelos Badge, and Arrow of Light Badge, both have a Duty to God requirement that gives you  the option of earning your religious award, or if you already have it, doing certain other requirements. he said he wants to earn  his religious award, but put it towards the Arrow of Light, and not Webelos.

Your thoughts on the situation? i told him it's possible to do both in a year.

Also what are LDS units doing? Are you guys skipping Webelos Badge and going directly to AOL, or are you having them earn both still?