Girl Scout Ranger Program, Nps

I came across this just yesterday and thought I'd share with the group:

http://www.nps.gov/subjects/youthprograms/girlscoutranger.htm

What an excellent way to promote the outdoors!

Was chatting with a friend who has a son in our unit and she is a GS leader. We were discussing this program, the changes to the GS program and the updated GTSS and age guidelines. I was surprised to find that GS can do WAY more than Boy Scouts are allowed to do.  :dry:

It's an NPS tour brochure.

5 hours in the park gets you a badge.  10 hours gets a bigger badge.

But at least they're thinking out doors!

Edited by JoeBob

Daughter did the Junior Ranger program years ago. The whole family had a great time traveling around and watching her do all the things she had to do to earn the badge. She was so proud at the end. It was a great program, if not terribly 'high adventure', and it helped her learn a lot more about the park and all the things in it. Best of all, it wasn't restricted to scouts or girls, It was open to anyone in that age group. 

Son was already too old to do it but then, he was also already working on his own advancement goals in Scouts.

Edit: it took us a week in the park to do it.

Edited by packsaddle

5 hours in the park gets you a badge.  10 hours gets a bigger badge.

Sounds like an MB College.  :cool:

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • 1 month later...

Junior Ranger Award is intended for Cub Scout age folks.  Boy Scouts do a lot in the Parks, usually for their own ranks and badges, but the occasional Eagle or OA project comes to mind. I have also seen specific projects that Troops take on, one that comes to mind is the illumination of the Antietam Battlefield  , where local Troops help set things up, other "civilians" help, but it is mostly Scouts herehttp://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/luminary.htm   

AND, some parks DO have a Boy Scout Ranger Program http://www.nps.gov/gettinginvolved/youthprograms/boyscouts.htm  , just gotta ask about it.

Did You Know?

ANTI_Texas-Flag.gif

The First Texas Infantry lost 82% of their men killed, wounded and missing while fighting in the Cornfield at Antietam, the highest casualty rate for any Confederate regiment in one battle of the Civil War.

:) and did you know it was the Iron Brigade, mostly Wisconsin boys (2nd WI, 6th WI, 7th WI, 19th IN and 24th MI),  that inflicted those casualties!  Youngest Congressional Medal of Honor recipient (2nd US Battery B) was also heavily engaged in that battle in the Cornfield, too.