Is There A Way To Edit Something After The Fact?

Have searched the entire Forum, but have yet to find where I might be able to edit a post after it is actually uploaded.  Since I seem to always find an issue with stuff after the fact, I would really like to be able to fix it; or at least make it make more sense.  

• 3 weeks later...

I had an edit button, but I was only able to use it once.  After my first edit, the button disappeared.  I don't know if this is a time-out issue as Rick alluded to, or a forum setting that is limiting us to one edit per post.

I do know that IPB software has the ability to allow users to edit posts as often as they want for as long as they want.  I've been using another IPB forum for 7 years, and as long as the thread has not ben locked, I can go back and edit my posts from 7 years ago, and I can edit them as many times as I like.

Whether is a time-out, or a limit, it's an admin option somewhere and someone just needs to flip the switch.

edit: I'm testing things now.

edit 2: I'm getting a second edit, so it's not a limit on # of edits.  Now I'll wait 15 minutes and see if the edit button is gone.

Edited by Scouter99

All Members of the forum should be able to edit their posts for a limited time period after posting. Based on the discussion in this forum, SCOUTER-Terry has increased the time period from about 15 minutes to 1 hour. It is my understanding that this was the time limit on edits in the past, or at least part of the past.

A quick review of the ip board software says this is a feature covered by either a time based limit on editing or a given number of replies logged between posting and desire to edit.

Fix: Read your post before posting. ;)

• Upvote 1

A quick review of the ip board software says this is a feature covered by either a time based limit on editing or a given number of replies logged between posting and desire to edit.

Fix: Read your post before posting. ;)

There does not have to be any limit on editing; I can edit posts from 5 years ago on the other IPB forum I frequent.

There does not have to be any limit on editing; I can edit posts from 5 years ago on the other IPB forum I frequent.

Right, that's a admin setting. If they wanted to change it they could.

Scouter-TERRY provides this to the Scouting community as his gift to Scouters.

I fail to see how discussing ways to improve users' experience amounts to ungratefulness.  Or am I reading passive-aggressiveness into your post that isn't there?  Let me know within an hour and I will edit my response.  See, there's one non-typo reason to not limit editing, already ;)  The other day, LeCastor wanted me to edit a certain word out of a post; I was happy to, but it was impossible.  Two. 

Of the forums I visit, this is actually the only forum out of a dozen or so where editing is cut off.  It's simply strange, thus my input on the matter.

Edited by Scouter99

The one hour thing was the norm for the old forums of long ago. It was accepted by everyone back then. I see how it would be confusing for people to respond to a message and years later find that they had responded to something quite different because of a 'long after' edit. It seems like anyone serious about what they write to the internet ought to be satisfied with it when they hit the 'submit' button. An hour used to be a gracious plenty of time to reconsider what we've written. I should know - I've cringed when I spotted a grammatical error that became enshrined for posterity. So I just try to do better as a result. Or...try to get it right the first time.

Edit: I'll go further and state that if a politician decided to try to change something they wrote for public consumption five years after they wrote it (and I suspect a lot of them might like to), most of us would label that as a deceptive action. To me, it could constitute a lie. Fifteen minutes seems too short. An hour seems generous enough.

Edited by packsaddle

Edit: I'll go further and state that if a politician decided to try to change something they wrote for public consumption five years after they wrote it (and I suspect a lot of them might like to), most of us would label that as a deceptive action. To me, it could constitute a lie. Fifteen minutes seems too short. An hour seems generous enough.

You clearly don't follow national politics. ;)

When Congressmen step up to speak on literally anything they usually preface their comments with, "I ask unanimous consent to revise and extend my remarks." That allows them to revise anything they say after the fact.

Should see what some of our past presidents have done. ;)