Here Is New Fun One To Cheer Us All Up From Texas Via Fb

I swear. Nothing like NPR and their "journalism". They cobbled together quotes and misquotes from reliable and non-reliable sources to craft up this fictitious piece of garbage.

Blaming it on NPR is simply silly. First, this story has been around from earlier in the week before NPR even talked about it. Second, Todd Smith wrote his letter on Monday April 30th, days before the NPR story. What you are seeing is the Governor beginning to try and back peddle from the pandering and "explaining" that he is being reasonable.

As others have pointed out, the Army Times have been following this story for a while:

From March 23rd: Conspiracy groups question USASOC mission in Texas.

From April 29th: Utah governor: 'Jade Helm 15' training is standard exercise.

To quote the Army Times:

Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott has asked his state guard to monitor the exercise amid suspicions from some that the war simulation is really a hostile military takeover.

And we know the Army Times is just another conservative basher, right?

As for local news I found:

The Dallas Morning News: Former GOP lawmaker blisters Abbott for ‘pandering to idiots’ over military exercises.

San Antonio Express-News: Abbott orders the State Guard to protect Texas from Special Forces troops.

The Texas Tribune: Abbott's Letter Elevates Jade Helm 15 Concerns.

The Houston Chronicle: Governor's Jade Helm letter' embarrassed and disappointed' Texans, former GOP rep says.

These are just the first four local to Texas news articles I found, and all four support the narrative that the Governor issued his order in response to the conspiracy nuts. Sorry, this isn't a story "made up by NPR", nor is it a "fictitious piece of garbage".

The "fictitious garbage" is the idea that this isn't pandering to conspiracy nuts.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But it was so much fun watching many of our Forum Fellows froth themselves over nothing:   Gonna be a fun election season. Will it be Hillary Handout or Baltimore O'Malley? Or a 'yet to be conjur

Blaming it on NPR is simply silly. First, this story has been around from earlier in the week before NPR even talked about it. Second, Todd Smith wrote his letter on Monday April 30th, days before the

Wow, you like to use specious reasoning don't you. Comments below.

Blaming it on NPR is simply silly. First, this story has been around from earlier in the week before NPR even talked about it.

The problem with the NPR bit is that they link the conspiracy group accusations directly to why the Gov took this action. The ONLY link in the Army times to the TX Gov and the conspiracy nuts is this UNCITED statement, "Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott has asked his state guard to monitor the exercise amid suspicions from some that the war simulation is really a hostile military takeover."  Let's not just take something and state it as fact without citation. What is the SOURCE that is an official statement or document by the Governor's office that says this is why he is assigning the guard to observe? All I see is a publication saying that is why THEY say it is being done without citing the source.

Second, Todd Smith wrote his letter on Monday April 30th, days before the NPR story. What you are seeing is the Governor beginning to try and back peddle from the pandering and "explaining" that he is being reasonable.

Please post the ORIGINAL OFFICIAL SOURCE from the Governor that says he's deploying the guard to prohibit an invasion by the US military. The press releases say NOTHING to that effect.

As for local news I found:
The Dallas Morning News: Former GOP lawmaker blisters Abbott for ‘pandering to idiots’ over military exercises.

Does not source ANY statement by the Governor that he is deploying the guard to prohibit a military take over. All this does is link several disparate events and tie them together using the loonies as the reason. Not once does it quote any statement by the Gov or press release as to support their contention. 

San Antonio Express-News: Abbott orders the State Guard to protect Texas from Special Forces troops.

Really? This does not even quote or reference anything. This simply makes a statement. Are you really that desperate to make a point you will point to anything in print -- without supporting statements or quotes -- to prove your point? C'mon! The paid article is similar to the one above. It quotes nothing official as to support their thesis.

The Texas Tribune: Abbott's Letter Elevates Jade Helm 15 Concerns.

Again, no citations or quotes that prove Abbott took this action in support of the nutter's position.

The Houston Chronicle: Governor's Jade Helm letter' embarrassed and disappointed' Texans, former GOP rep says.

Again, no citations.

These are just the first four local to Texas news articles I found, and all four support the narrative that the Governor issued his order in response to the conspiracy nuts. Sorry, this isn't a story "made up by NPR", nor is it a "fictitious piece of garbage".

No, it wasn't made up by NPR, but it was continued by them. There is NO PROOF that Abbott is doing this in response to a small group of nut jobs. Period. I know you guys don't care to really know the truth because it is easier to believe what other people write, but here's the actual letter. Funny, but the only references I see have to do with 1) allowing observers (something done on just about every joint ops excise) and 2) ensuring that private property and individual rights are not trampled like they were last time such exercises took place.

The "fictitious garbage" is the idea that this isn't pandering to conspiracy nuts.

Again, PROVE IT!!! You posted a bunch of crappola that had ZERO links to ANYTHING that was a quote or an official statement saying that the Gov took this action to pander to the nuts. ZERO!!!

Of course, your next statement will be, "But, it's obvious he did it for that reason!" Never any proof, always accusations.

I posted the letter. Show me where he's responding to the nuts and NOT to the valid concerns about private property or personal freedom (illegal search, seizure and detainment) concerns that happened last time. Go on, show me.

Edited by Mozartbrau

I swear. Nothing like NPR and their "journalism". They cobbled together quotes and misquotes from reliable and non-reliable sources to craft up this fictitious piece of garbage.

If you read the official state press release, the Texas state resources are monitoring the exercises for any violation of state law since a portion of the exercises are taking place on private land. This was done at the request of the land owners in the event that federal troops damage or otherwise ruin private resources. A third party is required under Texas law to witness and investigate any claim in order for the land owner to be reimbursed. 

This happens ALL THE TIME in ANY state when private property is used. NPR is doing their usual slam job by making stuff up. Figures.

The official press release (linked to by NJCubScouter) doesn't say anything about "...since a portion of the exercises are taking place on private land", nor that "This was done at the request of the land owners". Where is your "proof" of that?

So the question still remains, did the Governor issue this order in response to the concerns of the nutters? How about we let the Governor say:

From the Statesman

“We are playing a pivotal role of government and that is to provide information for people who have questions,†Abbott said. “It is clear that people in Bastrop had questions, it’s clear from the questions I have received in my office that people have questions about it, and as governor and as government, I think we have an obligation to answer questions of citizens. And, by us working with the Special Operations Forces, we are able to provide information to citizens who were concerned about it.â€

So the order was in response to the crazies at the Bastrop meeting. So this isn't "fictitious garbage" after all?

The official press release (linked to by NJCubScouter) doesn't say anything about "...since a portion of the exercises are taking place on private land", nor that "This was done at the request of the land owners". Where is your "proof" of that?

So the question still remains, did the Governor issue this order in response to the concerns of the nutters? How about we let the Governor say:

From the Statesman

So the order was in response to the crazies at the Bastrop meeting. So this isn't "fictitious garbage" after all?

Well, if you watched the whole press conference you'd have those answers instead of vilifying a Gov doing his job. But it's always easier to believe anything in print, isn't it?

Edited by Mozartbrau

Well, if you watched the whole press conference you'd have those answers instead of vilifying a Gov doing his job. But it's always easier to believe anything in print, isn't it?

So, are you saying that the Governor didn't say he issued the order in response to the questions of the people of Bastrop? Or are you saying that pandering to their fear is "doing his job"?

Again, PROVE IT!!! You posted a bunch of crappola that had ZERO links to ANYTHING that was a quote or an official statement saying that the Gov took this action to pander to the nuts. ZERO!!!.

Well the Governor just said he did it in response to the nuts. At least multiple news sources are reporting that he did. I can't find a link to a video of the actual press conference (my Google Foo is failing again).

Interesting. "But it's always easier to believe anything in print, isn't it?"

Well...if your earlier statement ("If you bothered to read any of the local press...") is a guide, the answer must be 'yes' for you as well as others.

...or is it kettles and pots...?  C'mon! Lighten up, Frances!

Edited by packsaddle

ROFL. I'll say it again, point to a statement FROM THE GOV that says he did this because of the nuts.

If you read the official docs and listen to his press conference you'll see he never pays ANY attention to the nutters. He does listen to requests from several counties that asked him to protect their property and personal rights. These requests were made related to real issues, not nutter issues and conspiracies. The Gov noted as much in his press conference and his aides reiterated this when questioned on followup.

I'm done on this topic since you guys just want to argue without pointing to any direct statements from the Gov (rather than unsubstantiated allegations).

@@packsaddle again you point to local press yet NONE of them quote the gov. Please.

@@Rick_in_CA if there are multiple quotes and reports they shouldn't be that hard to find. So far you've struck out.

Edited by Mozartbrau

Helloooo....reading comprehension time.....the reason I QUOTED YOU was because YOU referred to the local press,  not me. YOU were the one who suggested reading the local press to learn about the 'reality' of things there. Pullleeeezzzzz

Well, if you caught the John Stewart show last night, you could have seen clips from Fox too.  But then, that show loves the loonies; gonna miss his unique perspectives.

Title "Here is New fun one to us up"... So, are we all cheerful yet??? :)   How about Now?? :)

Skeptic - I will miss Stewardt also, especially since Colbert is gone too..  Well I will give the new guy a try and hope he is decent..

And "NO" it is not where I get my serious news.. But, it's great to have something to lighten things up rather then always focusing on the negative.

The best part of Stewert for me has always been the Fox outtakes.  Then his general skewing of our various government agencies and so called elected representatives.  The guy that has taken Colbert's spot has been pretty good a couple of times.  We will see.

I knew there was going to be a replacement for Stewardt, I didn't know that Colbert got a replacement.. What is that show called? I will check it out.. I have never done the type of show Colbert is moving to, but I will check it out a few times when he starts.. I know it will not be political satire, but I really liked his humor, and it might be good even if it is about different subjects.. Of course the interviews both Stewardt & Colbert did at the end was my least favorite.. A lot of times I didn't watch that whole piece if the person they were interviewing held no interest for me.