Do You Really Need The Book ?

The book is helpful for kids that are self motivated learners or have parents that get involved with them learning on days off from school, etc.

We don't require the uniform neckerchief slide - if parents want to buy it that's fine. Each den makes a new one in the first couple meetings for the year. The kids make it and the parents man the Hot hot glue gun.

We wanted to do Pack neckerchiefs like the Troop in town does but were told NO WAY when the council found out (I asked here, but the committee chair asked the office). Was a shame because we were going to do a nice blue with gold embroidery on it ($15 each - but you get to wear it for all 4.5 years).

We tend to do the hand-me down necker. Each year, the Pack has a crossover to the next rank. At that, they get their new necker, and give the old one to the next group.  It seems to work ok. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what CubDayCampDirector suggests would be illegal.  Those pesky copyright laws again.  If the BSA didn't care about the money, they could put ALL publications online or on a CD and all members

Agreed. Disagreeing with the price tag of a book isn't license to violate copyright law.   Another approach would be to re-use them like textbooks (which, in essence, they are) and lend them to the

@ SeattlePioneer, when the committee chair asked at the council for the name of the manufacturer of the neckerchiefs, they asked why - he told them of our plan - they (old guard guys) went heavy handed with the " violations of official uniform guidelines!" I think they scared the crayola out of him - so at the next leaders meeting it was relayed back to us and of course the COR was at that meeting. So our idea of pack neckerchiefs was shot down fast.

I'm finding that unless it's a health and safety or legal issue it's better to ask forgiveness rather than permission - ha ha ha

I had already done the legwork (email request) and had the pricing....committee chair was just looking for cheaper price. He's not with us now.

Reusing like textbooks is an idea, but I doubt they are durable enough for that.  Maybe if they had hardcover editions...

and I suspect that many would never return.

I know that we have several lost books every year.... just from parents comments about not being able to find them.

The issue with not requiring the book is you risk the scouts themselves drifting further from scouting.  The book is something tangible for scouts to pick up and read.  I realize many might never open the book, leaving the management of their scouting experience to their leaders and/or parents, but you don't want to cut off those that do read it.  Part of the purpose of cub scouting is preparing boys for boy scouts.  Having the books aids in that goal as it allows scouts to be more vested in their experience.

To me, the best way to cut the entry expense is to eliminate rank specific slides.  That's the quick and dirty option to save an annual recurring expense.  There's no need to have to buy a new slide every year. 

I agree with this sentiment....

Even though my son is one of those that rarely wants to read it, I think having a nice book with pictures and such is needed.  It'll help things stick into memory for some kids.

The issue of having custom neckers made (or patches, etc) can have you run afoul of trademark infringement if you incorporate any of the BSA's protected trademarks.  The fleur-de-lis for one.  In our council, anyone having patches made for an event has to run the design by the SE and use "approved vendors".  It still irks me that they put "made in China" stickers on the back of official patches.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a mom of 6 (soon 7).  I bought my older son's cub books at the thrift store for $2 each.  They were current and unmarked.  I had planned to reuse for younger son.  Younger is using older brother's book for wolf.  It's actually more for the leader and because here are two sets of signatures and dates, I printed out a chart, to help den leader know what younger son has done.  I downloaded the free pdf for my son to read on his ipad.  My little boy has a vision impairment, so it is important that he be able to blow up print to a larger size.  I plan to purchase the new handbook as digital books.  I do have sticker shock, though!  I will be printing out the checklist to send to and from scouts with my son.  (I do not want the ipad going to scouts)

Christineka - Looks like the Kindle edition may be available.  http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Handbook-Boy-Scouts-America-ebook/dp/B00XWF6CA2/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433108753&sr=1-10&keywords=cub+scout

Also, do you know much about other AT devices for low vision, like the RUBY http://www.freedomscientific.com/Products/LowVision/Ruby  you may be able to work with his school or insurance to get one.

Christineka - Looks like the Kindle edition may be available.  http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Handbook-Boy-Scouts-America-ebook/dp/B00XWF6CA2/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433108753&sr=1-10&keywords=cub+scout

Also, do you know much about other AT devices for low vision, like the RUBY http://www.freedomscientific.com/Products/LowVision/Ruby  you may be able to work with his school or insurance to get one.

Thanks!  I'd been looking every now and then to see if they were yet available.  I know there are various devices for low vision, but so far, my son hasn't gotten any, but an ipad,which I bought secondhand for him.  This fall will be his first year at public school.  I know they're going to get him some thing for in classroom use.  Not sure if he can get anything to use at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would prefer the kids have their book before their neckerchief/slide. I know that may not be a popular opinion but in the past, many of our boys never purchased anything over class B but always had their books. This year our pack is trying to implement a way to help scouts get a full uniform so I'm hoping that with help with those having to buy a book. So far I haven't had many complaints but the new scout year is just beginning :) We shall see!

I personally would prefer the kids have their book before their neckerchief/slide.  ... 

Agreed.  But the challenge I'm having is pack administration.  Costs are escalating big time.  Ten years ago, a Tiger book was $5.50.  Now, it's $13.99.  254% increase.  Boy's Life is relatively flat in cost.  BSA membership has more than doubled.  

Same with Boy Scouts, merit badge books are $4.99.  That seems down from where it was when they switched to color glossy printing.  But it is still significantly more than it was ten years ago.  

BSA literature should be online for members and let us buy the stuff when we want it.  Stop wasting money producing things that people need now and then.  Put it online to get into people's hands as soon as possible and then it will be accessible from everywhere.  

I've been a Tiger Cub Den Leader the past eight years.

I have no plans to be a Den Leader again,  because I find the new program to be obnoxious.  WZAY too much detail,  and way too preachy.  Very light on fun activities for boys to do, as far as I'm concerned.

This morning I spent time trying to find the First Aid requirements in the new Wolf handbook.  I paged through the whole thing twice and found nothing.  I suppose there are First Aid requirements there,  but I couldn't find them.

My bias as a den leader would be to ignore the new program,  and decide on my own program.  Families would be free to follow the official program if they wish,  but I have no obligation to do so.   When I got through MY program,  boys who had been participating would get their badge.  BSA doesn't control who gets badges.

My prediction is that it's going to be a lot tougher to find den leaders with the new program, tougher to keep them,  and tougher yet for those den leaders to get through the official program,  which I'll bet a lot of boys will find boring and left liberal preachy.

I'll further bet that the new program will cause a noticeable  loss in Cub Scout membership. 

NOT a fan.

My bias as a den leader would be to ignore the new program,  and decide on my own program.  Families would be free to follow the official program if they wish,  but I have no obligation to do so.   When I got through MY program,  boys who had been participating would get their badge.  BSA doesn't control who gets badges.

Actually they do.  According to the Guide to Advancement, no one can add, subject, or otherwise change the requirements.  You might be able to physically get badges and give them to the kids, but I'd be royally pissed if I was a parent of one of those kids.

<<

Actually they do.  According to the Guide to Advancement, no one can add, subject, or otherwise change the requirements.  You might be able to physically get badges and give them to the kids, but I'd be royally pissed if I was a parent of one of those kids.>>

Outside of Eagle awards,  I don't think anyone pays much attention to that. 

Were I to do it (I'm not)  I'd certainly let parents complete all the badge requirements on their own and be glad to award them their badge when they are done.

Unfortunately,  VERY FEW parents seem to work with their boys on Cub Scout achievements around here.  The Den Leader does it or it doesn't get done.

But I'm really not interested in sweeping back the incoming tide of liberal and environmental politics which has swamped the Cub Scout program. 

I'll continue to do things I'm interested in,  but not as a Den Leader.