http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/toc.aspx has the latest updates posted this week.     In addition to those below, the revisions include the age appropriate guidelines as well.    http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416_Insert_Web.pdf

Would ask that you take the time to review the updated Climbing and COPE activities section and share this information with others in your area.   Would also suggest that if you have not reviewed it Belay On - the publication referenced - is a relatively new piece of literature for those who engage in the COPE / Climbing world.   It can be found with other reference material here:   http://www.scouting.org/Home/OutdoorProgram/COPE.aspx

2015 Updates

April

II. Aquatics Safety: The Safety Afloat section was updated to clarify Cub Scout participation in pack and den events.

VIII. Sports and Activities: The Climbing and Rappelling, and COPE Activities sections were each revised and expanded throughout.

XI. Transportation: Additions to this chapter include the future policy on using 15-passenger vans and guidelines on safe driving.

Richard

• Upvote 1

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CUB SCOUTS AND AQUATICS CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( And yes that is me shouting with glee at you! :D  )

When I first heard about the new Cub Scout Aquatics electives, I was stating that under the present G2SS policies, there would be no way that they could be earned except at those councils that provide the opportunity, which mine doesn't.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CUB SCOUTS AND AQUATICS CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( And yes that is me shouting with glee at you! :D  )

When I first heard about the new Cub Scout Aquatics electives, I was stating that under the present G2SS policies, there would be no way that they could be earned except at those councils that provide the opportunity, which mine doesn't.

Yes, but Cubs can no longer do archery or tomahawks except at district or council events. There's your trade off.

Edited by Mozartbrau

Archery was restricted to district/council events since for as long as I could remember.

And I don't remember Cubs being able to do tomahawks at all.

Our local council did archery, slingshots and tomahawks for webelos. Guess they we violating the matrix.

Mozart,

You'd be surprised at what councils allow and how BSA publications contradict each other. Look at the Guide to Safe Scouting. There is no mention of Cubs being able to do archery. Only that :

"Archery, and Knife and Tomahawk Throwing

These are approved activities for Boy Scouts and Venturers following the Sweet 16 of BSA Safety."

So some lawyer could probably argue that Archery shouldn't be done by Cub Scouts at all since there is no mention of Cubs being allowed to do archery in.

BUT as we all know, there is an Archery Belt Loop that will be around for approximately 3 more weeks. Plus it's taught at CS NCS programs as a viable activity. PLUS the current 2015 printing of the Shooting Sports Manual states Archery can be done at the Cub Level. So another lawyer could coutner claim it is allowed.

As for tomahawks, my Cubs were doing it this weekend at a council event. I didn't have a May 1, 2015 copy of the G2SS available, so I thought that too changed.  I know my Middle son ticked off my Oldest son's entire troop. He got 4/5 tomahawks on the target, with 2 bulls eyes, and would have gotten the 5th one in the target if he did't try and do a "Robin Hood."  His 5th throw hit the handle of one of the bull's eyes and bounced off. He scored more points than the three patrols combined. Youngest and Oldest didn't do too shabby either. Both got 3/5 in the target, and Oldest did have a bull's eye.

Ok, gotta find directions to make a tomahawk target for the backyard.  I now have 2 tomahawks to throw, and the kids told me they'd rather throw tomahawks than go fishing! :p 

• Upvote 2

Mozart,

You'd be surprised at what councils allow and how BSA publications contradict each other. Look at the Guide to Safe Scouting. There is no mention of Cubs being able to do archery. Only that :

"Archery, and Knife and Tomahawk Throwing

These are approved activities for Boy Scouts and Venturers following the Sweet 16 of BSA Safety."

So some lawyer could probably argue that Archery shouldn't be done by Cub Scouts at all since there is no mention of Cubs being allowed to do archery in.

BUT as we all know, there is an Archery Belt Loop that will be around for approximately 3 more weeks. Plus it's taught at CS NCS programs as a viable activity. PLUS the current 2015 printing of the Shooting Sports Manual states Archery can be done at the Cub Level. So another lawyer could coutner claim it is allowed.

Exactly, hence my previous understanding.

As for 'hawks, smaller kids who have the arm strength will always do better....lower center of gravity. ;) I love watching big scouts and adults pling their 'hawks off the target because they try to muscle it in. ;) Our best thrower is a 4' tall 11 year old. 

@@Eagle94-A1, seems council just asked our unit to run the tomahawk and slingshot range for next spring's cub program. Our SM reminded them about 'hawks and CS being a no-no. Seems sling shots are okay. Earth-friendly shot? Dog chow. :)

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/toc.aspx has the latest updates posted this week.     In addition to those below, the revisions include the age appropriate guidelines as well.    http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416_Insert_Web.pdf

Would ask that you take the time to review the updated Climbing and COPE activities section and share this information with others in your area.   Would also suggest that if you have not reviewed it Belay On - the publication referenced - is a relatively new piece of literature for those who engage in the COPE / Climbing world.   It can be found with other reference material here:   http://www.scouting.org/Home/OutdoorProgram/COPE.aspx

2015 Updates

April

II. Aquatics Safety: The Safety Afloat section was updated to clarify Cub Scout participation in pack and den events.

VIII. Sports and Activities: The Climbing and Rappelling, and COPE Activities sections were each revised and expanded throughout.

XI. Transportation: Additions to this chapter include the future policy on using 15-passenger vans and guidelines on safe driving.

Richard

I'm confused, what exactly can Cubs and Webelos do now that they couldn't before.  I would love to see a side by side to see exactly what changed.

@@Eagle94-A1, seems council just asked our unit to run the tomahawk and slingshot range for next spring's cub program. Our SM reminded them about 'hawks and CS being a no-no. Seems sling shots are okay. Earth-friendly shot? Dog chow. :)

Our district does hawks at Webelos Woods.  Interesting that it is against the rules.  Maybe because it is a camporee with Webelos guests?

As for 'hawks, smaller kids who have the arm strength will always do better....lower center of gravity. ;) I love watching big scouts and adults pling their 'hawks off the target because they try to muscle it in. ;) Our best thrower is a 4' tall 11 year old. 

:ph34r: Nothing triggers a guy's hair-raising-on-the-back-of-the-neck flight adrenaline like a petit venturer dropping three throwing axes in as many seconds square into a stump from 10 yards out. :eek:

• Upvote 1

:ph34r: Nothing triggers a guy's hair-raising-on-the-back-of-the-neck flight adrenaline like a petit venturer dropping three throwing axes in as many seconds square into a stump from 10 yards out. :eek:

Don't mess with girls and target sports. We have three Venturers who are the best target shooters across all sports. They have RSO shirts that say "Range Goddess".  :D

• Upvote 2

I'm confused, what exactly can Cubs and Webelos do now that they couldn't before.  I would love to see a side by side to see exactly what changed.

Mash,

Boating was restricted to district/council events which required either a NCS certified Aquatics Director, or an NCS certfied CS Aquatics Supervisor.

Now, According to the Guide to Safe Scouting, page 24, "Cub Scout activities afloat are limited to council, district, pack, or den events that do not include moving water or float trips (expeditions). Safety Afloat standards apply to the use of canoes, kayaks, rowboats, rafts, floating tubes, sailboats, motorboats (including waterskiing), and other small craft, but do not apply to transportation on large commercial vessels such as ferries and cruise ships."

What I find hillarious is that the second link's  "AGE-APPROPRIATE GUIDELINES FOR SCOUTING ACTIVITIES"  still states that boating activities are for the district/ council level only still.

Guess they need to update the 2015 Age Appropriate Guidelines again.

• Upvote 1

Mash,

Boating was restricted to district/council events which required either a NCS certified Aquatics Director, or an NCS certfied CS Aquatics Supervisor.

Now, According to the Guide to Safe Scouting, page 24, "Cub Scout activities afloat are limited to council, district, pack, or den events that do not include moving water or float trips (expeditions). Safety Afloat standards apply to the use of canoes, kayaks, rowboats, rafts, floating tubes, sailboats, motorboats (including waterskiing), and other small craft, but do not apply to transportation on large commercial vessels such as ferries and cruise ships."

What I find hillarious is that the second link's  "AGE-APPROPRIATE GUIDELINES FOR SCOUTING ACTIVITIES"  still states that boating activities are for the district/ council level only still.

Guess they need to update the 2015 Age Appropriate Guidelines again.

thanks!