Scouts Aid Relief And Rescue In Nepal

Seems like Oklahoma City has been experiencing it's fair share of disasters with the tornados and fires the last 20 years. The Scout units are always ready to jump in help, but FEMA doesn't allow the scouts to volunteer as scouts, at least in the work zone. Strangely individuals and other organizations are allowed to do the same work, but the scout units have to volunteer in the back ground through organizing drop offs for food and supplies. I don't remember the details and I'm not suggesting FEMA has a bias against scouts. 

It is frustrating because until about 25 years ago, our town annually ran a disaster simulation of which all scout units participated. Now the government is in control.

Barry

The Scout units are always ready to jump in help, but FEMA doesn't allow the scouts to volunteer as scouts, at least in the work zone.

They did in 1974. During the April outbreak that year a monster went through where I lived (3 miles away) and hit dead center of the closest town. Our troop mobilized and helped direct traffic and run the shelter for those made homeless. 

The lawyers have made this experience something boys today could not participate in. Very sad.