This recipe also works in a 9"x13" cake pan in a regular oven.  Which is a clue.  Any thing that can be prepared in a 9"x13" cake pan can be done by splitting into 2 9" pie pans in 2 Dutch ovens. 

My guys love chocolate layer cake with vanilla icing and red velvet cake with cream cheese icing.  Two DO's, two cakes stacked with frosting in the middle and on top.  Have done apple pies that same way using a glass pie plate -- two ready made crusts, canned apple filling and a couple of pats of butter.

• Upvote 1

Besides the usual bland ingredients, my other reasons for dislike are that it is very hard to get them sealed, and we are always dealing with at least a few that have either torn or pulled open.... or folks use cheap/thin foil..... &/or they burn horribly and stick.

The key is the foil and using the right method for folding.  If you have cheap foil, you have to use two layers.  The folding starts on the long side and you fold down  around a quarter inch and then fold the fold over itself several sides.  Then you take the ends and bring them to the middle and fold down where they meet the same way.  The packet can be turned half-way through without it leaking.

Last weekend, I taught the patrol grubmaster how to do the folding.  He taught his patrol how to do it as they cooked dinner.  Included canned potatoes (lots of moisture) and carrots with some salt and pepper.  Mine was delicious and the rest of the boys had nice juicy burgers (or veggie burgers if that was their preference).

• Upvote 1

What I am asking is for you guys to give your favorite camp meal recipe. From just of the fire to Dutch oven to foil meal extra I do like to eat !!!!

On every campout, my guys do baked Dutch Oven penne pasta.  Very simple.  Put in a liner.  Pour in a pound of uncooked penne pasta (the new guys are always amazed that you don't have to cook the pasta first).  Add a jar of sauce and a jar of water.  Cover and cook around 30 minutes.  Stir the pasta, add motzarella cheese on top and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more.  The guys serve it with meatballs (frozen meatballs in sauce in a pot or a dutch oven) or italian sausages (grilled over coals or a fire or cooked in a cast iron frying pan.  

OK, now I'm really hungry.

How to do foil dinners correctly.

Brown the hamburger in the mess kit fry pan with the chopped onions.  Cut up potatoes and carrots and boil in the mess kit pot.  Pour a bit of the liquid in with the hamburger/onion in fry pan, add a bit of flour and thicken the gravy.  Pour out the rest of the liquid from the potatoe/carrot pot, separate them, add some brown sugar and butter to the carrots, mash the potatoes and pour the meat and gravy over them.

It is a bit to clean up afterwards, but to-date I have never had a burnt "foil" dinner that ended up dry and tasteless.  

Use sour cream instead of gravy and boil up egg noodles and have Stroganof (sp?) 

Ground pork and bacon also works well.

Dump the potatoes and go with pita bread.  Instead of gravy go with ketchup and make a Sloppy Joe and eat the carrots raw.

Needless to say, I haven't had a foil dinner for years.

Moisture, quality foil, proper heat and rotation are the key to non-burnt foil dinners.

Just like you wouldn't just toss your DO on any old fire, foil dinners aren't just tossed in the coals. Move coals off to the side of the pit and check temp remove until about 300F and the put dinners on top. Rotate after a few mins depending on what you're cooking. Similar rules to outdoor grilling for whatever you're cooking. Done!

Edited by Mozartbrau

How to do foil dinners correctly.

Love it!

After our 2nd to the last campout, which was a WEBELOS AKeala event....I vowed never again.

We were hosted by the troop, and the troop had decided that adults would just eat form the patrols' meals....

except for dinner which was supposed to be in the dining hall, but a last minute change had them bringing tin soldiers already folded and prepared by camp staff.  No seasoning, just plain hamburger, potatoes and I think carrots.

al different sizes, some not folded well

what a nightmare....

so

I plan on always bringing my own stash, or backup stuff at least.

In your example, i would need to make sure I have butter and flour, if I knew the group planned on burger tim soldiers....

I can always use sugar that I keep packed for coffee, in place of the brown sugar....

My following camping trip at that camp was for a cubscout council event. Meals provided in the dining hall..... but after that tin soldier nightmare, I threw a couple freeze dried meals into my pack as a backup, along with my backpacking stove that I bring anyway for emergency coffee..... thankfully I didn't need either....