One of the problems with check handling today (and this is not new) is that no one looks at the signature. You can sign the check “Micky Mouse†and it will go through because almost all checks are process by machine. People don’t get involved unless there is a dispute.

The machines that process checks read the routing, account and amount information that is printed with special ink at the bottom of the check.  Nothing else matters.  A signature is only a formality that is used as Rick_in_CA states.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

note nice to tease the deslexic have you heard of the Americans with Disablities act my lawyer has

Here we go again. Another opinion from the cubicle farm in Irving. Publish the actual policy and let the units take it from there. If national can't write a lucid policy (and yes, I'm snickering as I

come on stosh a subenia that says qwazse on it would be funny as hell

... account to sing for checks ...

That would be awesome! :eek: Except, even if banks would allow it, BSA policy wonks would shout "Hazing!" :o

Edited by qwazse

If someone manages to get the pin for a debit card (only 4 digits for many cards) they can clean out the account and there is only the best wishes of the bank to protect you from this fraud. With a credit card, even with the worst bank you are only going to be liable for the first $50 of the loss at most. Moreover, many credit cards also have a guarantee regarding the purchase and if the vendor doesn't follow through after running the card, you can file a claim and do a charge-back. Not necessarily so with a debit card.

With a check, a signature can be forged, as noted, but unless it is a perfect forgery, there is a record of it (this is from personal experience) and once the check is established (more easily with 'mickey mouse' as the signature) to be fraudulent, the bank is liable for the entire loss and the account will be restored. I've experienced this. 

With a pin there isn't necessarily any evidence other than your claim. 

I cut up the debit card we got a couple of years ago when we changed banks.

On theb rare occasions when someone need to be fronted cash,  I write them a check for an appropriate amount and set up a Quicken account to track expenses against that when I get receipts.

As Treasurer,  I want people to turn in receipts for reimbursement promptly.  A debit card would do the reverse.  I might never get receipts.

It's not a matter of fearing that people will "steal" from the pack.  It's about maintaining effective controls and records so we know what's going on.

And it's not been an issue,  so far.   The cash advances have served that function when needed.

Here we go again. Another opinion from the cubicle farm in Irving. Publish the actual policy and let the units take it from there. If national can't write a lucid policy (and yes, I'm snickering as I write that) then hire someone who can.

I was going to make Mozart's point. If I want to clean out the troop's account, a credit card will be the most difficult route for me. A couple years ago we had to have a paper check for something on very short notice. The treasurer was away for a week so, as a signatory on the checking account, I went to the bank and asked for a counter check. I was surprised that instead of having a stack of blank checks on the counter, I had to ask -- and pay! -- for a check to be printed with our name and account number. Actually, I got a sheet of three checks, one of which I used for the approved purpose, the other two floated around on my desk until I finally threw them in the shredder. No one knew of the existence of these checks. I could have written them to "cash" and cleaned out the troop account anytime I saw fit.

The way I run my own business is if I can't tell my subcontractors "my house keys and credit cards are under the door mat, put them back when you're finished with them" I don't need to be doing business with that guy. Same with troop leaders. Have I ever been burned? No. Could I be burned? Sure. But while BSA sure likes to teach "Trustworthy" I never cease to be amazed a how little faith they put in it.

• Upvote 1

For our units, the bigger solution is to have visibility into the bank accounts.  Multiple people with access to review the accounts.  Also, our treasurer doesn't have a debit card.  BUT ... he's the one who audits every purchase.  If you purchase something, he notices and asks what it was for and wants some type of receipt.  

We use a card. No problems.

- Receipts are scanned via phone to PDFs and sent to treasurer. No exceptions.

- Bank insures our account for lost and stolen cards so we are covered as long as we keep a certain balance. Not a problem.

- Only two people have the card or know the pins (personalized).

- Cash back is turned off on the account.

- We keep the minimum in the account and the rest in savings. Only the treasurer can switch between the two.

As with anything it's all about process. You can find banks willing to work with you and protect your money. Crooks will always find a way around ANY process. The key is reducing your liability. Been doing this for ten years now. No issues. Also, FAR less admin time for all involved.

packsaddle said it, but I'll repeat....

Using a debit card does nOT give you the same protections as a credit card

Well I hate to tell you, but our bank DOES protect us. We have it in writing and it is part of our account. 

Many banks are offering through federally backed programs insurance on savings and checking if using a debit card. Not all banks do, but many do. If you do your homework you can find one.