Growth Spurts - Kids Growing Faster Than Ever?

Looking ahead when mud season is over, I asked scouts to wear their sneaks (they usually do but I like to think that are doing as I ask :rolleyes: ) and bring their boots to meeting.

Every scout was currently wearing sneaks at least a size and half larger than his not-so-old boots. In 6 months, three scouts went from a size 9.5 to 11.5. In same period, another scout went from a size 10 to 13, another 9 to 12.

I mean old Schiff needed his arches to fall to reach size 12, these scouts haven't reach age 14 yet! 

I was 4' 11", 98# when I started high school.

I was 6' 0", 135# when I finished my sophomore year.

My mother used to go back to the stores and complain about the poor quality of jeans they were selling because they shrunk so much in just one or two washes.  :) 

Not sure that it's kids growing faster than ever - it might be that we're growing older faster than ever and have forgotten our own growth spurts.

Well that's looking on the bright side of life. I forget what else I was going to say. :o

It's backpacks.  See, the kids have more and heavier backpacks at younger ages.  This causes them to lean forward more and more.  In order to keep their balance evolution kicked in and produced bigger feet.  My 17yo is my height but his feet are two sizes bigger. 

Must be either his Neaderthal or Hobbit evolutionary heritage.

• Upvote 2

I was 4' 11", 98# when I started high school.

I was 6' 0", 135# when I finished my sophomore year.

My mother used to go back to the stores and complain about the poor quality of jeans they were selling because they shrunk so much in just one or two washes.   :)

Sounds familiar! I never wore 32" inseams; went straight from 30" to 34" in sophomore year. I remember making milkshakes with a bunch of raw eggs in them to try to maximize caloric intake. Didn't work though. Still only weighed about 135lb. Thirty five years later, at least I'm up to 160!

Sounds familiar! I never wore 32" inseams; went straight from 30" to 34" in sophomore year. I remember making milkshakes with a bunch of raw eggs in them to try to maximize caloric intake. Didn't work though. Still only weighed about 135lb. Thirty five years later, at least I'm up to 160!

Fifty years later I've pushed that up to 170#'s  :)

61 years old, 6'2", 225 pounds, and knees that remind me not to eat.

My 13 year old boy has hit 5'10" and I'm putting more weight in his pack to slow his vertical climb.

It's not working...

• Upvote 1

Hah! My newly 11 year old is wearing size 12 men's shoes. His last pair were 11s. He can look his mom in the eye with a satisfied smile and is likely to lap his older brother in height, at three years younger he is is only 1/2 inch shorter. And those feet! Did I mention the feet? If he were a puppy, I'd be thinking he was a Great Dane...