Been thinking... dangerous I know. I could support MBUs if they did not end with a blue card, but instead with the name and contact info of a MBC for the Scout to contact to be tested on the material learned at the large group activity.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget God, Gays and Girls. The death of the program will come from within. Our brand managers are managing us into irrelevancy.

When MB colleges have MBCs signing off on requirements they are attesting to as having been completed -- but not validating these requirements were completed -- and signing off on Eagle-required MBs,

Actually, the "troop leader" has discretion, subject to appeal, to refuse to award the MB.  I quoted the 2013 GTA a few days ago, and the 2015 version has the same language:   "7.0.4.7 Limited Recou

Chief,

I agree you do sound like my kind of SM. Problem is there are many more out there that do not know what the job of SM is. I've been to trainings where many have said that their job is to produce Eagle Scouts, and many of those base their entire troop program simply on advancement. Troop meetings are merit badge classes, POR are by patch only, and program is totally run by and chosen by adults. Oh and just to add something here many of them have leaders that have been trained and some even where "ye old beads".  So the idea that they simply did not know any better isn't always the truth. In fact the troop that we compete for new scouts has double the number of scouts as ours. Not because they run a better program but because they "produce" more Eagle Scouts each year then us. From my own expierneces I think there are more parents that only care that their son get Eagle then they do the quality of the program. Almost every time that I have tried to redirect a scout to the proper trail I have been called a"gate keeper" or "BSA harda**". I have been in Bad Wolf's situation many times and told to award MB or rank. Biggest problem is that National and local councils don't seem to care about the quality either. So then comes the question, if the owners of the program do not care, why should I?

• Upvote 1

Can you reconcile or clarify these two statements, which seem to contradict each other:

As a counselor I consider it my job to be sure they understand the material. Not quiz them on it at completion and then deny them the badge if they don't know the information.

I will say this- Either the requirements are completed or they are not.

Which badges do you counsel that a Scout can get signed off without being able to recall or demonstrate the material?

Edited by Scouter99