If the BSA is so worried about its "Brand", then why do they not put more effort into ensuring quality? The "limited recourse" does not absolve the District, Council nor National from their responsibility for quality control. Although it appears they believe it does.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget God, Gays and Girls. The death of the program will come from within. Our brand managers are managing us into irrelevancy.

When MB colleges have MBCs signing off on requirements they are attesting to as having been completed -- but not validating these requirements were completed -- and signing off on Eagle-required MBs,

Actually, the "troop leader" has discretion, subject to appeal, to refuse to award the MB.  I quoted the 2013 GTA a few days ago, and the 2015 version has the same language:   "7.0.4.7 Limited Recou

Forget God, Gays and Girls. The death of the program will come from within. Our brand managers are managing us into irrelevancy.

Yup. The right has no clue what the left is doing. I doubt they have any experience in real world brand mgmt.

I've read the books. Been down this path. Still had to sign. Case in point, boys spent 8 hours in a first aid MB course watching power points. No actual hands on work for first aid. Boys hated it, our SM refused to sign because the spirit of the MB was not followed. A parent complained to district and council. We were "ordered" by the council to sign and award the badge. SM refused and said council could sign and award if that's how they felt. Stood behind the very clause you posted. Council threatened to pull his membership if he didn't award the badge. He handed the parents the badge and the blue card and invited them to find another troop.

That's a real shame, though I imagine I would have made the best out of things and got on the stump for the whole troop to know how so-and-so got his First Aid MB ;)

Case in point, boys spent 8 hours in a first aid MB course watching power points. No actual hands on work for first aid.

That's almost how they do first aid courses for AHA. Students watch a video. Only 2 or 3 'hands on" items, one of which is taking off gloves without risking infection.

best first aid course I ever had, and it was the reason why I didn't get First Class in a year, was at summer camp. The counselor was awesome, and my SM wanted me to take it with that MBC. One day of learning the skills, one day of applying the skill on a "Hike" that had stations at/ repeat. Final day was another hike.

• Upvote 1

I think I'll throw my hat in this as my humble first post. :unsure: I am both a MBC and  A Scoutmaster.  As a counselor I consider it my job to be sure they understand the material. Not quiz them on it at completion and then deny them the badge if they don't know the information. I recently participated in a MBU. I see nothing wrong with them, as long as pre-req's are completed, and there are understandings that some badges will result in partials, even at MBU's. I would also like to say that requiring 20 nights of camping per Rank would be untenable. I don't like to put Scouts in a position of "Scouting Or football" or "Scouting or Band" or Scouting or any other program. I do think sometimes Scouts will have to make personal decisions on finishing Eagle or going some other route in life. Personally, Ive never felt that It's necessary for every Scout to make Eagle to benefit from Scouting. I've had plenty Scouts make it to Life and no further before Joining the Military or going off to college. Its  easy for many people in scouting to insist that ranks become harder and harder all to prevent what many people like to call "paper Eagles". I will say this- Either the requirements are completed or they are not. I would NEVER slight a Scout who attained all the requirements and Passed a BOR by labeling them a "paper Eagle". A scout earns a rank or they do not. If you have "paper Eagles" in your troop, and your a SM or Com Chair, its YOUR fault. I will tell you that I have parents of Scouts who have scouts in the Troop who made Eagle. Not surprisingly, nearly every parent believes one scout or another didn't work as hard as their child or wasn't "Eagle material".  As a SM, I spend a considerable portion my time putting out fires of Jealousy and protest of how one scout or another got something he didn't deserve. Im pretty clear on it-I advise all parents that If Ive personally signed off on a badge or rank that the requirements have been met. MBC's are supposed to be skilled in their respective badges. If a counselor signs a Blue card as completed, I consider it completed. I will ask a Scout about when they completed the pre req's since unlike the rest of the badge, the MBC wasn't present to know it was completed. "Helicopter parents" are something I think we all have plenty of. On the one hand we preach that they need to be more involved, then we have some that are To involved for our liking. I will say, as mad as this may make some people, that I see much of our leadership trying to be Scouts all over again. Scout leadership needs to understand just that-they are no longer Boy Scouts. I see many of them running around more concerned with pining another badge on their uniform than realizing they are there for Scouts. In the end its not what we "want" or what "we think" should happen to make Scouting more like what "we" want. I think this actually leads to them being "more badge requirement oriented" than Scouting PRINCIPLES oriented. Im all about making sure Eagle is worked for, and not devaluing it, but intentionally making it more difficult to" increase its value " esp in midstream for Scouts that started under a different set of rules...makes me wonder if we are doing it more for us, or for the Scouts.  Im having enough problems answering questions , and defending recent decisions that are unmentionable here- from prospective Scouts parents and even defending Scouting on FB from those bashing us as some very crude and disrespectful things. Making it harder to participate wont help us. I simplify it. The rules and requirements are enforced in my troop, I don't care where you complete a MB-at a MBU or at camp or in the troop, just be sure you complete it, and can tell me something you learned from it. Bottom line, while I think there are "helicopter parents" there are also "helicopter leaders". I don't do this-I see  my job as one of providing opportunity for Scouts. Ensuring they follow rules and complete requirements, and providing guidance where needed. Im not a coach to push them to success. I just let them know I can give the what they need for opportunity to make themselves successful. I make myself available to ensure they have every opportunity to complete a MB or a rank, and I'll help them in whatever way I can. But they WILL do it, or it wont be awarded,

• Upvote 1

On prerequisites, many of these MBCs will sign off on requirements that were supposed to be done at home without testing or reviewing if they had been completed.

I had several scouts take the Cooking MB at a "college". They had the whole badge signed off in one day. They were simply asked if they had planned a menu or cooked the meals required. They said yes. While they had helped on camp outs they had not done the detail required by the requirements. Had the MBC taken the time he would have found that out. Instead he merely took 40 seconds with each scout, asked them if they completed all the requirements and then signed off.

I've seen this at every MB college. There's no control. No real review. It's sign and go. Hiding behind "a scout is trustworthy" does not help. Most of these kids want to be trustworthy but they may not interpret the requirements the way they should; that's what an MBC is for. If they simply sign without testing they violate the role they've signed up for.

That's why our guys don't do MC colleges.

• Upvote 1

I will say this- Either the requirements are completed or they are not. I would NEVER slight a Scout who attained all the requirements and Passed a BOR by labeling them a "paper Eagle". A scout earns a rank or they do not. If you have "paper Eagles" in your troop, and your a SM or Com Chair, its YOUR fault.

When MB colleges have MBCs signing off on requirements they are attesting to as having been completed -- but not validating these requirements were completed -- and signing off on Eagle-required MBs, then the fault is not with the unit but with the MBC and the college.

We've discussed such cases in our unit with the scout and used the remedies outlined in the GTA. Half the time the scout has come clean and re-worked the badge. The other half of the time the parents took it to council and we were instructed to award the badge. In those cases we gave the badge and suggested that our unit might not be a good fit for that scout. Years later we see that scout announcing his Eagle project; usually something that a First Class scout could do with his eyes closed and not worthy of an Eagle project. Unit approves, district approves (both are Eagle mills) and the kid makes Eagle....but I'll bet the farm that, while the scout "earned" it, he has none of the skills an Eagle should have.

I'll end with this: Our Eagles know their core skills. There's a reason we hard test them on important MBs like first aid, orienteering, etc.; we don't want our scouts to end up like this Eagle. Good training and good choices can become habit, just like poor choices and poor training can.

• Upvote 3

Welcome to the forums, Chief. You sound like my kind of Scoutmaster.

I will say, however, we seem to have had different experiences with MBUs and even summer camp. There are a great number of counselors not as diligent as you or I would like. My experiences are similar to those Bad Wolf describes. Most disturbingly, our council condones such programs -- especially at summer camp -- bemoaning the lack of staff or budget which they seem to believe is an acceptable excuse for short-changing the requirements and the Scout.

Until recently, we Scoutmasters have been powerless to correct such situations. The changes in the Guide To Advancement which allow us to challenge and take corrective action on MBs we feel are clearly unearned is a step in the right direction. (Truth is, I've used this same approach for years, counseling a Scout to be Trustworthy and really complete the badge with or without the counselor.) Unfortunately, National's policy making the SM's authorizing signature on a blue card meaningless is multiple steps backwards. Taking away our ability quietly direct Scouts away from problematic counselors is beyond comprehension. In the past, I simply quit sending Scouts to those counselors. Now, when we have problem counselor, policy is for us to go to council to have that counselor removed. Are most leaders going to burn an otherwise good volunteer and/or supportive parent over this?

BSA policy is written through rose-colored glasses. Everyone is competent and does their job to the letter. That view was embodied in the old committee training video where every committee position is not only filled has a fully staffed sub-committee meeting at their separate tables complete with table tents identifying them as "Finance", "Membership" or "Program". That scene always got a roar of laughter from the crowd who knew the annual fight to sucker someone into handling recharter or that the Program Committee looks a lot like the Scoutmaster.

In reality, no one wants to be the heavy and say no. No one wants to tell a kid their work doesn't meet the requirements. And some are just lazy. Turning a Scout down means they have to meet with them again. And why teach one or two boys the merit badge when in the same time they can teach 15 (quality of instruction or individual sign-off be damned). And for most teenage boys, getting away with something is just what they do. That an adult sign's off on Cooking MB without ever having lit a fire is like winning the lottery. Hey, they adult is in charge and signed off, who is a kid to complain? (And truth be told, I rather like those situations. Makes for a great conversation about character and what's right.)

Twocubdad, BSA has admitted to me that they know about the merit badge mills.  Optimism is one thing,  Ignoring fraud that you know to be going on is another thing entirely.  More like glasses with stainless steel lenses.

BSA's retort is that it has no power to stop merit badge mills.  Nonsense.  Thirty candidates for one staffer for 300 total minutes does not nearly pass the Smell Test - or the national camp standards,  It goes on because BSA elects to allow it to go on.

Not that everyone at National is happy with this disgrace.  

Edited by TAHAWK

BSA's retort is that it has no power to stop merit badge mills.  Nonsense.  Thirty candidates for one staffer for 300 total minutes does not nearly pass the Smell Test - or the national camp standards,  It goes on because BSA elects to allow it to go on.

My cousin tells me in his district they put on the Radio MB every June...for 200+ Scouts at a time. One five hour session and the MB is completed.

Freshman Bio 100 at A&M has a better student-teacher ratio than that. ;)

Edited by Bad Wolf

Requirements

1. Explain what radio is. Then discuss the following:

1. The differences between broadcast radio and hobby radio

2. The differences between broadcasting and two-way communications

Radio station call signs and how they are used in broadcast radio and amateur radio

The phonetic alphabet and how it is used to

communicate clearly

Do the following:

1. Sketch a diagram showing how radio waves travel locally and around the world. Explain how the broadcast radio stations WWV and WWVH can be used to help determine what you will hear when you listen to a shortwave radio.

Explain the difference between a DX and a local station. Discuss what the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) does and how it is different from the International Telecommunication Union.

Do the following:

1. Draw a chart of the electromagnetic spectrum covering 100 kilohertz (kHz) to 1,000 megahertz (MHz).

Label the MF, HF, VHF, UHF, and microwave portions of the spectrum on your diagram.

Locate on your chart at least eight radio services, such as AM and FM commercial broadcast, citizens band (CB), television, amateur radio (at least four amateur radio bands), and public service (police and fire).

Explain how radio waves carry information. Include in your explanation: transceiver, transmitter, receiver, amplifier, and antenna.

Do the following:

1. Explain the differences between a block diagram and a schematic diagram.

Draw a block diagram for a radio station that includes a transceiver, amplifier, microphone, antenna, and feed line.

Explain the differences between an open circuit, a closed circuit, and a short circuit.

Draw eight schematic symbols. Explain what three of the represented parts do. Find three electrical components to match to three of these symbols.

Explain the safety precautions for working with radio gear, including the concept of grounding for direct current circuits, power outlets, and antenna systems.

Visit a radio installation (an amateur radio station, broadcast station, or public service communications center, for example) approved in advance by your counselor. Discuss what types of equipment you saw in use, how it was used, what types of licenses are required to operate and maintain the equipment, and the purpose of the station.

Find out about three career opportunities in radio. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.

Do ONE of the following (a OR b OR c):

1. AMATEUR RADIO

1. Tell why the FCC has an amateur radio service. Describe some of the activities that amateur radio operators can do on the air, once they have earned an amateur radio license.

2. Using proper call signs, Q signals, and abbreviations, carry on a 10-minute real or simulated amateur radio contact using voice, Morse code, or digital mode. (Licensed amateur radio operators may substitute five QSL cards as evidence of contacts with amateur radio operators from at least three different call districts.) Properly log the real or simulated ham radio contact and record the signal report.

Explain at least five Q signals or amateur radio terms you hear while listening.

Explain some of the differences between the Technician, General, and Extra Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who administers amateur radio exams.

Explain how you would make an emergency call on voice or Morse code.

Explain the differences between handheld transceivers and home "base" transceivers. Explain the uses of mobile amateur radio transceivers and amateur radio repeaters.

BROADCAST RADIO

1. Prepare a program schedule for radio station "KBSA" of exactly one-half hour, including music, news, commercials, and proper station identification. Record your program on audiotape or in a digital audio format, using proper techniques.

Listen to and properly log 15 broadcast stations. Determine the program format and target audience for five of these stations.

Explain at least eight terms used in commercial broadcasting, such as segue, cut, fade, continuity, remote, Emergency Alert System, network, cue, dead air, PSA, and playlist.

SHORTWAVE LISTENING

1. Listen across several shortwave bands for four one-hour periods—at least one period during daylight hours and at least one period at night. Log the stations properly and locate them geographically on a globe.

For several major foreign stations (BBC in Great Britain or HCJB in Ecuador, for example), list several frequency bands used by each.

Compare your daytime and nighttime logs; note the frequencies on which your selected stations were loudest during each session. Explain differences in the signal strength from one period to the next.