Under 18 Male, Under 18 Female, 18-20 Male, 18-20 Female, 21+ male, 21+female for sleeping.

Hopefully your camp has individiual bathrooms.

Separate sleeping areas for the 18-20 year olds? This is getting ridiculous! Just call them adults and be done with it.

Just curious . . . when an NYLT course has separate sleeping quarters based upon staff/participant, gender, and age, how many sleeping areas are necessary?  Bathrooms?

Depends on the participants

6 sleeping--Under 18 Male

Under 18 Female

18-20 Male

18-20 Female

21 and up Male

21 and up Female

Bathrooms--just one is needed with a sign to change it to one of the 6 above. 

Separate sleeping areas for the 18-20 year olds? This is getting ridiculous! Just call them adults and be done with it.

Personally, I don't see the sleeping areas to be a problem. In our troop, the great majority of the Venturing age youth sleep in individual tents. 

• Upvote 1

I'm seeing a few people suggesting 6 areas.  Would also desire separation of staff from participants, and would like staff to be as close together as practically possible.  Would this add 4 more areas?

I'm seeing a few people suggesting 6 areas.  Would also desire separation of staff from participants, and would like staff to be as close together as practically possible.  Would this add 4 more areas?

Yes. You want to give the Youth Partcipants some distance and autonomy to live the patrol method, and to give the staff a break from them. 

Adults are staff.  The areas are (male and female for each), youth participants(under 18), adult participants (18-20 yr olds) and staff. 

Peri,

Youth can also serve as staff for NYLT. You you would need a total of 10 areas. 

Male Youth Participant  <18

Female Youth Participant <18

Male Youth Staff <18 

Femail Youth Staff <18

Male Adult Participant 18-20

Female Adult Participant 18-20

Male Adult Staff 18-20

Female Adult Staff 18-20

Male Adult Staff 21+

Female Adult Staff 21+

Me personally, I'd recommend the 18-20 year olds to take Wood Badge as I am told the courses are almost identical. Only difference is the ticket for WB.

Peri,

Youth can also serve as staff for NYLT. You you would need a total of 10 areas. 

Male Youth Participant  <18

Female Youth Participant <18

Male Youth Staff <18 

Femail Youth Staff <18

Male Adult Participant 18-20

Female Adult Participant 18-20

Male Adult Staff 18-20

Female Adult Staff 18-20

Male Adult Staff 21+

Female Adult Staff 21+

Me personally, I'd recommend the 18-20 year olds to take Wood Badge as I am told the courses are almost identical. Only difference is the ticket for WB.

I didn't realize that. Wow.

Zero sleeping quarters. 8x8 tarps for each person. On the ground around your respective fires. Fold the tarp over your sorry hide if the weather turns foul. Stow bedrolls under one fly in the morning. Combine the remaining tarps for fly's during the day.

One single-person camp shower per patrol, set up in a different location each day, with two fly's for privacy.

Unisex latrine with "occupied" sign on the door.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been taught that the 18-20 year olds could tent with either youth or adults.

Say you're backpacking, where you're trying to minimize the weight. You're carrying 2-man tents. (Talking about all-male crew, not dealing with gender issues here.)

You have 7 youth -> 4 tents.

You have 3 adults -> 2 tents.

total 6 tents.

BUT, if one of these adults is 18-20, that person may be considered a youth for this purpose. So:

8 youth -> 4 tents

2 adults -> 1 tent.

total 5 tents. Weight savings of one tent. Yay.

This is the way it worked at Philmont when I was on staff there. 18-20 year olds were considered a Godsend for just this reason.

Granted, I've been away from Scouting for the better part of two decades, but I just went through YPT (twice, actually, once online and once in person, about a week apart) and did not find anything to controvert this notion. Even asked this question of the guy who taught the course in person and he agreed that that's still how it works.

Mgood. you should definitely look up the changes made to the policies. 18-20 year olds have been considered Adults in the boy Scouts for a long time. They could never tent with -18 Scouts. Venturing had different rules that were recently changed.