Hi,

Not sure how or why?

But today in my mailbox I received a note saying that someone had commented on something that I'd posted.

I followed the link but once there got a notice saying  sorry.

I'm thinking that it has been at least a couple of years since I visited or posted anything here.

That's kinda strange especially when I think about the amount of time that I used to spend here.

I really haven't looked around the site that much.

But have noticed some very familiar names.

There are of course a lot of new names and that's as it should be.

While maybe old timers like myself might like to think that we have the know, have the knowledge and "Have been there"!

All living things need to have new life. Without it the alternative is not good.

Back in the day (Boy do I ever hate saying that.)

While I was on really only active in this forum, I had a pal who was a Moderator on another site.

The site he was on had very strict rules about what topics were and weren't allowed.

One word that didn't follow the party line was enough to have the offender booted off and banished.

This site was by far the most active and I like to think the most friendly.

Friendly to even people who had at times some very off the wall thinking and people that I very well might have called "Twits."

Terry and most of the other Moderators were good about not over-moderating.

This was by far the best Scouter Forum.

On a personal note or two?

Yes! I'm still in the land of the living.

No I haven't moved to Ireland yet.

OJ my son who some of you "Seen" Grow up, through my postings here. Is now 27.

He is getting married next year to a very nice girl.

I can't wait to be a Grand Dad and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have a Grandson, so we can play this wonderful game of Scouting.

My great hope is that I don't ever become one of the old geezers who stand around complaining that things are not what they used to be.

I'm still working for the DOC.

Everyday I'm saddened to see young guys who end up in jail, in my view them not having a support system at home or close to home has played into them ending up where they are.

The dog count has gone up to four.

Friday the terrier that was abandoned eight years back and we took in, is still terrorizing the local ground hogs.

Ollie the English setter who was gun shy and tied to a fence post down in Georgia. Is now eleven. Like me, he is starting to slow down a bit. He still likes to chase the Canadian snow geese who take up residence in the corn fields.

Dudley the Goldie is nothing but ninety pounds of love and rarely if ever leaves my side.

Then we have Jorge. She was dumped in the fields.

She is a tiny little thing who likes to yippy yap and bite people.

Sad thing is that she is so good for both Her Who Must Be Obeyed and myself.

I'm working on bringing her around.

I'm really not doing anything is or for Scouting.

My name is still on a few lists.

I receive the odd notice about a dinner or a meeting.

I no longer follow what's new or what's happening.

Very few of the group that I used to hang out with are still involved.

Some of us do get together every now and then, have a couple of beers and try to embarrass each other telling stories  about the times when we messed up.

In my case there seems to be more of these then seems fair?

Well that's about it.

Nothing that wild or that exciting happening here in sunny Pennsylvania

Eamonn    

• Upvote 3

One does need to keep up those scouting skills so that Grandpa won't be rusty when he gets to Tigers... 

Of course you could be blessed with granddaughters and they like to be outdoors too.  I have three of them.  Just as much fun as grandsons.  :)

Welcome back, your comments are still needed here on this forum.

• Upvote 1

Welcome back, Mate!  I think the forums are a lot friendlier than they used to be, and I really like this new software.  My own "Scouts" are now 36 and 31, both married and I'm expecting my third grandchild in two weeks!  Finally we got a boy, so I'm holding on to the uniform and camping equipment! 

I just came back after being away for quite a while.. I am sticking around for a while as the new forum is very nice and it is now easy to track stuff you are interested in keeping tabs on, unlike the old forum which never recovered from the upgrade that was buggy and lost features that were in the one it replaced..

I too am not as involved in scouting, some trainings I still officially am a UC but should officially resign since my going on night shift has made it impossible to meet with them to visit or help out.  But, hey I still find I am opinionated..

Great to hear from you again, Eamonn. In response to:

"I can't wait to be a Grand Dad and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have a Grandson, so we can play this wonderful game of Scouting.

My great hope is that I don't ever become one of the old geezers who stand around complaining that things are not what they used to be."

I can only tell you from experience with grandsons (now 3 of them), they are more fun than you can even imagine. I think about them all the time. The oldest is just beginning to learn t-ball and not quite old enough for cubs....but he's grasped checkers firmly and can play a passable game of chess (but he really hates to lose, lol). The other two boys range from talking to infant. This summer will include canoeing and fishing and swimming. But I warn you now...they are EXHAUSTING! There's no way you or I can keep up with their pace. It's time to begin reliance on the craftiness that we develop with age, lol.

As for being a geezer...heck we ARE geezers. Might as well enjoy it.

Thanks for the more then kind words.

Have to admit that one of my main reasons for not being around was, after the change I got fed up with things not working.

Don't tell anyone!

But I put most of this down to me not liking the changes.

It is nice to see so many familiar names and nicer to hear that there is a feeling of friendship.

More then once I think that I might have commented about how the parent or worse still a youth might feel if they stumbled here by accident and seen the lack of friendship..

Thanks for the more then kind words.

Have to admit that one of my main reasons for not being around was, after the change I got fed up with things not working.

After I read your post yesterday, there was a "server driver error" ... The first one with this new software ... Just sayin'

:)