How Much Does Your Pack Pay ?

I have a basic question our Pack has $5000.00 in the bank account we use that money for awards and other den meeting supplies. We then have a fundraisers and at the pack meetings we charge for food.  We ask our parents to pay for just about everything occasionally the pack will chip in part of the money but not enough to make a difference $10.00 or so.   On camping trips you supply your own food the pack just picks up the camping fees.  So my question is what does your pack pay for and how much money should we keep in the account for rainy day fund ?

Our pack dues are $80 per year, and a bit less for the 2nd year WEBELOS

this was based on a history of a pack with around 40 boys

Our $80 + our take from fundraising covers

annual BSA dues

boys life

a T-shirt (theoretically, but most boys only get a new one when the outgrow or loose the old one...

handbook

awards (patches, pins, etc..)

adult membership fees

adult training expenses, den meeting supplies, etc... (although most leaders just pay their own)

B&G food, decorations, entertainment

Pinewood Derby trophies and decorations

occasional expenses such as derby software updates

pack trailer tag and maintenance

etc...

The only additional charges have been for trips.

we collect the charge of admission for any overnight or event

and when camping we'd estimate and charge a nominal fee per family for food.... like $15-$20 for the weekend.

trying to keep it all even

What we have tried to do is have enough reserve in the spring to cover our expenses till the dues and fundraising kicks in next fall

show n sell popcorn order in the fall

handbooks

a few awards

I think the magic number for our pack used to be approx $3000 in the bank.  Seems like a lot but that was a comfortable number.

When I was just  a parent, I wondered where that $80 went. (well $70 before the dues change last year)  Seems like a lot.  Then as ACM a few years back... I think it was towards the end of son's Wolf year, I added up all his patches, pins loops, books, etc... and found that at his pace, $80 didn't quite cover it.

Now I'm realizing that his pace with awards slowed drastically, so I think it's about right.

With fewer boys now, and much less aggressive fundraising we'll certainly need to re-evaluate where we are now and likely need to be collecting a bit more.

edit:  a couple times when fundraising was good and we had an extra balance, we take the boys someplace fun for an end of year meeting. (minigolf, go-carts, video games, etc..)

Edited by blw2

Our pack charges $90 per year which covers the books, pack meetings, awards and registration. Fundraising covers campouts and outings. We try to keep enough money in the bank to cover 1 year of expenses for the pack, which gives us a cushion in case we have unexpected expenses like the registration fee hike last year that came through right after recruitment, or an influx of new scouts after the popcorn sale, stuff like that. We actually charge more than most area packs but don't charge a lot of little fees through the year, which parents seem to like.

Look, I'm all for having some money in the bank as a hedge against hard times, or the addition to the Pack or Troop of families who cannot afford the costs and need help.  But how much is reasonable is a good conversation for your Pack Committee to have.  That money is there to support the boys having a good Cub Scout program.  A large amount just sitting in a savings account doesn't accomplish that.

• Upvote 1

For my pack (50 boys) we charge $10 for monthly dues and then recharter and boys life. Total is $156 so we round down to $150. We allow them the offset that cost through popcorn sales using the equation (150 - Sales * .33) so they can choose to sell popcorn or write a check (due net 30 after popcorn closes). We cover pretty much everything except basic uniform costs and try to avoid asking parents for a dime after that.

Look, I'm all for having some money in the bank as a hedge against hard times, or the addition to the Pack or Troop of families who cannot afford the costs and need help.  But how much is reasonable is a good conversation for your Pack Committee to have.  That money is there to support the boys having a good Cub Scout program.  A large amount just sitting in a savings account doesn't accomplish that.yea

Yea scoutergripper I agree with you there that is why I am asking I am going to suggest to the commite that we spend more money I am afraid that the fund raising will loose steam becuse we ask them to raise money then we ask them for money

The BSA strongly recommends use of the Unit Budget Plan.  In my opinion, income should be just enough to cover expenses.  I have heard of units with thousands of dollars in their account, but why?  A contingency fund is fine, but keep in mind that if the Pack folds for any reason, all of that money belongs to the CO.

Yea scoutergripper I agree with you there that is why I am asking I am going to suggest to the commite that we spend more money I am afraid that the fund raising will loose steam becuse we ask them to raise money then we ask them for money

I don't think you should actually spend more money.... except to bring the balance down to where it should be.

Hopefully the bulk of that extra money.... & I'm only assuming it's extra because we don't spend that much.... but assuming the extra came from fundraising this year.... what i would suggest is this...spend it on the boys, "they" earned it.

Using my off the cuff number of $3,000 as your target, based on my pack's experience (we liked to end each year with $3k in the bank as a comfortable break-even number).  Your break-even would be different....

so let's say you need $3,000 to get you through the summer and to cover the expenses kicking up in the fall to pay for the popcorn show n sell inventory, books for the scouts, neckers if you provide them, deposits that will be needed for the fall trip, or whatever....

So you have $2k EXTRA

I'd suggest spending that activities or presenters at pack meetings, &/or have an end of the year party with the money, or take them on a trip or outing... a museum, a tour boat ride, etc.....

I'm not suggesting to waste it, but rather let the boys have fun with it and maybe learn something.

Then, re-evaluate.

Maybe you could reduce dues a bit if you think fundraising will remain the same.

or you could hold dues high and plan on a party every year.... or have a BIGGER B&G, etc....

IF I had more money this year as CM, i would have taken advantage of the many options such as our local science museum coming in to run an active science pack meeting (which carries a fee).  I know of one pack that brings in a guest activity or speaker for every pack meeting, most of which cost....

You may very well find out though if you dig into it, that $5k is your pack's number.... it's what scouters that have come before you have determined as what you need to cover thing till next year....