Get Ready For New Requirements In Faith

Yes, we don't buy new.. But, try for a good car only a few years old from those who have money to burn and rotate them constantly.. So, car color isn't as important to me as it being a good heavy sturdy car with comfortable room..  That way I can slide around on icy winter streets and bounce off of snowbanks like a pinball... 

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For duty to God, I have always fallen back on the words writtenin the 1911 Handbook. To paraphrase, a Scouts duty to God is demonstrated in their actions by helping others, doing ones good turn daily.

We've had this discussion before. The BSA requires that you believe in a higher power. It does not require that you believe in a higher power that prescribed (or prescribes) ethics and morality for ma

This just seems like one more in a long line of micromanaging the program. Instead of helping leaders understand how to make the patrol method work we get JTE. Instead of helping us have a discussion

::Banging head against wall, in hopes that it might feel better after I stop.::

Is this our queue to switch to the appropriate methods of first aid, because I don't think NJ is doing it right.. :rolleyes:

Edited by moosetracker

I think we all need a thread like this about once a year, that meanders around about religious and tangential issues and lets us all vent and blow off steam. Have we run our course?

Thanks Stosh - Pretty much what I said, North was not lily white, but defiantly better then the South.  Also points out what I also believe, that even today there is still a need to improve. I will admit that I did believe it was getting  better (both north & south) with each generation, until all the crap in the news the last 2 months..   Yes, the north was better then the south, but never perfect.. As I said the North did not have the resources to absorb the number of people who migrated up from the South, and it did cause racial tension because it put a strain on housing availability and jobs..

The article stated white flight, that is the perfect description for the North.. Blacks would move into an area, whites would move out.. There were black & white neighborhoods, a few whites lived in black neighborhoods and a few blacks lived in white neighborhoods and the schools were zoned to a neighborhood.. Because of this a school would end up predominantly with white students or black students. If too many blacks moved into a neighborhood, the whites normally would start moving out faster and selling to another black family and so the neighborhood would change.. But with shopping and restaurants etc. the populations normally mixed fairly well.. I am sure you could point out a store or restaurant or two that may have had a racial owner, if there was no law against it, then I am not surprised that a few places got away with it.. Whenever they had to give up that practice, it didn't cause a community uprising over it, so I do not think they had the majority of the population on their side ready to defend their actions..

As I stated our city also went through discussions of bussing sometime when I was in high school.. But, even being in the midst of this argument although a lot of people was against bussing, their was no disrespectful talk against the other side, as stated, I never heard serious bigoted hateful racial speech until I met the southern kid at college, even during disgruntled discussions over bussing.. As stated everyone (both black and white) liked being in walking distance to their schools.. But, the blacks did feel the city did not put in the expense to keep their schools up to par with the white schools.. They would have preferred their schools improved, not bussing..  For us, if they wanted to mix the populations we didn't want to go to their schools, but we were fine if they got bussed to ours, or yeah fix their schools, after all if we were bussed, we would want good schools anyways..

I never witnessed a need to keep the blacks in their place, especially by brute force tactics.. Again I am sure there was your occasional rogue group.. But the KKK was never a group that gained footing in the North for a reason..  It was simply a belief that we didn't deny them anything, as long as didn't effect our way of living negatively.. Negatively would be something like if the community went from predominantly white to predominantly black then the housing prices in the neighborhood went down, so the answer was white flight.. If someone in the neighborhood thought the answer was burning a cross on the new neighbors lawn, or throwing a brick through their window, usually those same white neighbors who were selling their houses would be horrified by that type of action.

Again the North wasn't perfect, just 10 to 20 years ahead of the South..