Get Ready For New Requirements In Faith

Just because a troop is sponsored by a Lutheran church does not make it a Lutheran troop.

I know of a Cub Scout pack that is sponsored by a pizza place.  I don't think the pizza place promotes religion in any sense of the word, so they must be atheistic.  They corporately they don't have a duty to god, unless maybe some pizza god someplace.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For duty to God, I have always fallen back on the words writtenin the 1911 Handbook. To paraphrase, a Scouts duty to God is demonstrated in their actions by helping others, doing ones good turn daily.

We've had this discussion before. The BSA requires that you believe in a higher power. It does not require that you believe in a higher power that prescribed (or prescribes) ethics and morality for ma

This just seems like one more in a long line of micromanaging the program. Instead of helping leaders understand how to make the patrol method work we get JTE. Instead of helping us have a discussion

I know of a Cub Scout pack that is sponsored by a pizza place.  I don't think the pizza place promotes religion in any sense of the word, so they must be atheistic.  They corporately they don't have a duty to god, unless maybe some pizza god someplace.

Did you miss the whole who-ha about the pizza joint in Indiana? Not to take a turn down another road.. But, people defending them and cake bakers were stating they weren't discriminating against the gays, but they were Christian pizzerias & bakeries and so it was a Christian pizza and/or a Christian cake that couldn't attend an event that went against their religion.. Ok this came from defenders of this new Indiana bill.. I know Hobby Lobby supreme court verdict has them stating corporations are religious.. I don't know if the Supreme court would back the cakes & pizzas coming from these religious businesses can also be religious and that a pizza/cake can have a "duty to god" which incorporates the pizza/cake not attending a gay wedding.

Any way back on track..

Just because a troop is sponsored by a Lutheran church does not make it a Lutheran troop.

If this is in reference to the Scientology troops, I would say perhaps they are open to the community and so are not strictly a Scientology troop, but I do not think a church would sponsor a BSA troop if members of their church defiantly were banned from being BSA members due to their religious beliefs. 

Blue spruce, red cedar, and white cedar ARE all Gymnosperms. I'm not sure what you mean by "the EverGREEN classification".

But they are ALL Gymnosperms...assuming you're talking about Picea, Juniperus, and Thuja - there are several different genera and species called 'red' or 'white' cedar. Most are Gymnosperms though.

Edit: I'm not sure what you meant by that anyway. Wanna explain?

Edited by packsaddle

Blue spruce, red cedar, and white cedar ARE all Gymnosperms. I'm not sure what you mean by "the EverGREEN classification".

But they are ALL Gymnosperms...assuming you're talking about Picea, Juniperus, and Thuja - there are several different genera and species called 'red' or 'white' cedar. Most are Gymnosperms though.

Edit: I'm not sure what you meant by that anyway. Wanna explain?

Gee, when I was a kid in school, probably up until I was in High School, all the trees that didn't lose their "leaves" in the winter were called evergreen trees.  So to name them Blue Spruce, etc. only adds to the confusion.  

My wife is a forester by degree so when I call a fir a pine tree, etc. I get in trouble.  So now I call all pines, spruces, cedars, confers, junipers, etc. evergreen trees.  But then the junipers are really bushes, but to me it's a bit like talking to a Navy sailor about boats and ships.  The whole conversation is a little dinghy to me.

The point being how much confusion can we throw out there before it's co confusing no one understands anything anymore.  :)

Did you miss the whole who-ha about the pizza joint in Indiana? Not to take a turn down another road.. But, people defending them and cake bakers were stating they weren't discriminating against the gays, but they were Christian pizzerias & bakeries and so it was a Christian pizza and/or a Christian cake that couldn't attend an event that went against their religion.. Ok this came from defenders of this new Indiana bill.. I know Hobby Lobby supreme court verdict has them stating corporations are religious.. I don't know if the Supreme court would back the cakes & pizzas coming from these religious businesses can also be religious and that a pizza/cake can have a "duty to god" which incorporates the pizza/cake not attending a gay wedding.

Any way back on track..

If this is in reference to the Scientology troops, I would say perhaps they are open to the community and so are not strictly a Scientology troop, but I do not think a church would sponsor a BSA troop if members of their church defiantly were banned from being BSA members due to their religious beliefs. 

No, the pizza place is in my local area and they just do the pizza thingy.

As far as Scientology troops sponsoring troops where their members can't join?  I don't question motives.  As a Christian doing ministry, I don't stop and ask someone what their religion is before helping them out.  Maybe these units are outreach programs for the Scientology community or maybe they are just doing community service.

To try and infer a motive as to why others do things is an exercise in futility for me.  :)  I'm not curious enough to ask why.  Maybe someone should.  I dunno.

Just because I call a unit a Scientology unit does not mean I'm implying it only allows Scientologists.  It's chartered by the church of Scientology.

And what do you do with Ginko, Bald Cyprus, and Dawn Redwood?  Isn't it enough that they are trees without inquiry into the specifics?  Do we kick them out because their leaves are not "faithful ever"?

Edited by TAHAWK

Any way back on track..

Corporations had legal status as persons long before the Hobby Lobby decision. It's why the New York Times Corporation can assert its First Amendment rights to Freedom of Press, just as Hobby Lobby can assert its First Amendment rghts to Freedom of Religion, and why the BSA can assert its First Amendment rights to Freedom of Assembly. 

I don't think the Indiana Pizza case resulted in any legal action, so SCOTUS won't be involved. It was based on a hypothetical ("would you serve pizza to a gay wedding?") asked by a reporter, they answered they have and do serve pizza to gay people, but wouldn't cater to a gay wedding. 

The whole question was pretty stupid, as any gay couple that served fast food pizza at a wedding aren't worthy of the name.

We just watched that Scientology documentary the other night and there was a reference to the BSA troops they sponsored.

Edited by AZMike

And what do you do with Ginko, Bald Cyprus, and Dawn Redwood?  Isn't it enough that they are trees without inquiry into the specifics?  Do we kick them out because their leaves are not "faithful ever"?

All are Gymnosperms as I'm sure you are aware. Even pine trees have a season in which there are more needles shed than at other times. But they just have new ones out already thus preserving some 'green'. The above species merely lose everything on a seasonal basis. The term 'evergreen' is somewhat subjective.

p13e.jpg

324704204_evergreen-shipping-continer.jp

And we are on the 11th page of this topic (we are still on this topic, yes?)

What it boils down to is the ScoutLeader, if he/she is doing his Duty as he/she sees fit, should ask the Scout "how do you 'do your duty to God?' " and stand back. If he/she insists on trying to get the Scout to say "his"  right answer, then , yeah, we got trouble. If he/she nods and says " umm-mmm", then I see no problem..  Again, the ScoutLeader CANNOT  judge the Scouts answer in any way.  There is no right or wrong answer.  It is not a "skills test". 

It CAN be educational in both directions, if, again there is no judgement, right/wrong.  Only enlightenment.  

And we are on the 11th page of this topic (we are still on this topic, yes?)

Ummmm... Well we have taking little side trips, but we seem to get back to the topic eventually...  We have been pretty good.. So do we get to go out for ice cream? Huh, Huh?.. We have been pretty good..

11 pages and as clear as mud.. All religions including atheist religions (except for a few BSA personally dislikes but no list of them)..  Virtually any belief that is personal and has no organized religion including believing a rock or tree has some sort of higher power..

11 pages and as clear as mud.. All religions including atheist religions (except for a few BSA personally dislikes but no list of them)..  Virtually any belief that is personal and has no organized religion including believing a rock or tree has some sort of higher power..

Ah, and that is everyone's solution to what? Anybody read the BSA Vision and Mission Statements lately. How in the world can and organization base itself on teaching boys the values that guide morality and ethics without God, or some made up god? It seems the answer to my question of do you want to allow atheist to be eagles is a resounding yes. But you want to do it by suggesting atheism is a religion? Where do they get their morality? Pretty insulting to folks who take worshiping God seriously. 

Personally I don't see National going that direction because what is the point of a moral values program when god is just made up for the convenience of going camping and getting some badges. I think that will create a greater exodus than adding a requirement to ask the scout about God. I had several scouts of atheist parents in our program. They were very up front that they wanted their son to make his own choice based on observing believers. They knew that Duty to God and Reverence was a part of the program. Watering down god to nothing is an insult to them.

I'm not suggesting every scout has to worship my God, but to make up spirituality and gods to pacify a few people who struggle with Duty to God is not going to fix the problem in the long run. Either scouting is a values program, or it's not. Right now it is a values program.

Barry