Webelos 3 Mile Hike

Thanks to Scouts Mom Web Site, I found my answer:

Requirements for the Webelos Walkabout Adventure
  1.  Create a hike plan
  2. Assemble a hiking first-aid kit
  3. Describe and identify from photos any poisonous plants and dangerous animals or insects you might encounter on your hike.
  4. Before your hike, plan and prepare a nutritious lunch. Enjoy it on your hike, and clean up afterward.
  5. Recite the Outdoor Code and the Leave No Trace Principles for Kids from memory. Talk about how you can demonstrate them on your Webelos adventures.
  6. With your Webelos den or with a family member, hike three miles (in the country if possible).
  7. Complete a service project on or near the hike location.
  8. Perform one of the following leadership roles during your hike: trail leader, first-aid leader, lunch leader, or service project leader.

Our Boy Scout Troop is thinking about offering a 3 mile hike and campfire, for the Webelos in our area.  [We do a Webelos Campout, at our Tenderfoot Weekend in the Spring.]  We thought this would give us another contact with the Webelos, in the Fall.  We want to do the hike at our troop meeting place (a county sportsman club, with lots of acreages), on a troop meeting night.  Some of our older scouts would hike with the Webelos.  At the end of the hike, they would come out of the woods, to a campfire with the rest of the troop.  And I would think, there would be some food.

It is always an attraction for the Webelos Leader, if his Den will complete some requirements.  Our scouts are thinking of it, as another recruiting opportunity.

If our scouts decide to try it, I will let you know how it goes.

• Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...

We did the 3 mile hike with the Webelos last night.  We had about 30 Webelos show up, and about 50 people all together, with the parents, and a couple of siblings.  We combine the hike with a road cleanup, for a service project.  The Webelos walked about 2 miles doing the road cleanup, so they only had to hike another mile, on the grounds of the Sportsman Club, do get the 3 miles in.  We had vests and gloves for everyone, and a vehicle with flashing lights in the front and back of the group, while they did the road cleanup.  Some of the Webelos came late, and join in the road cleanup when they got there, and some did not get there, until the campfire.

The former SPL took the Webelos on the last mile of their hike, coming out of the woods, to find the troop at the campfire.  Several of the Boy Scouts, organized the Webelos by Packs (we had 4 different packs represent), and work out a skit with each group.  The Webelos had a great time at the campfire, do their skit and watching the other Packs and the Boy Scouts doing skits.  The Boy Scouts had 4 dutch ovens going, and everyone has a snack at the end of the campfire.

Below is the information we send out to the Packs about the hike.

Webelos Hike, Service Project, & Campfire (Den Event)

Start Time: Tuesday, September, 29 05:30 PM

End Time: Tuesday, September, 29 08:30 PM

Event Message:

Webelos Hike, Service Project, & Campfire

What:        3 mile hike for the Webelos, with a road clean up on [location redacted by moderator]Road and campfire, with the scouts from Troop 185. 

Where:[Location redacted by moderator]

Date:          September 29, 2015; 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.

Bring:        Wear your uniform, but dress for the weather.  Bring water and flashlight / headlight.  

Campfire:  If you cannot make the hike, join us at 8:00 for the campfire.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Our District sponsors a "Buddy Hike" Day.  Every Troop is encouraged to invite Webelos to join them in a hike around a local reservoir , it is about 3.5 miles.   We can get 50 or 60 (or more!)  Scouts that way in one place at one time...Nature study is encouraged, bring a bag lunch. 

If all you do is "hike", one can do 3 miles in an hour.   I am a guide for a  local Parks' historic trail, and the 3 miles we do there, with stories and q&a takes about 3 hours! 

<<I actually got in trouble when I was a DE because I camped a lot. In addition to district and council camporees,  I did OA events and IOLS training, or whatever the outdoor portion was called at the time. But I was single at that point.  Like ProScouter06 above, once you start spending 12 to 16 hour days, longer if you are assigned summer camp duties, you need time to away from Scouting. Especially if you have family.>> 

Excellent idea!

New Webelos Den Leaders  often need support and encouragement to get started promptly with an outdoor program.

We will be doing our Webelos 3 mile hike in January. My husband and I found a historical nature trail of sorts nearby that's right at 1.5 miles (both ends come out into a parking lot.) So we will hike to one end, then back to the beginning :) Beautiful location with an outdoor amphitheater, river access and some other neat points. I have 12 scouts so I will definitely have some help with my assistant den leader and guardians. We're looking forward to it!