Freethought Society Challenges Octorara School District For Boy Scout Recruiting During School Day

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/freethought-society-challenges-octorara-on-boy-scout-policy/article_43af23dc-e1ea-11e4-b04a-7b40cf8159d8.html

And the prize for completely missing the point goes to:

Charlie Rogers, scout executive with the Chester County Council of Boy Scouts of America, said no parents or Scouts from Octorara or other area troops have made discrimination complaints to the council.

“Our programs are open to all kids regardless of sexual orientation,†he said.

Edited by Merlyn_LeRoy

"Downey also said the organization uses its private organization status to avoid compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act by barring overweight Scouts from some programs"

Merlyn I think your friend jumped off the cliff there.. 

SE Rogers said several interesting things in that article.  Such as:

As far as leadership is concerned, Rogers said there have been no complaints and “local organizations select appropriate role models and we don’t question who they pick.â€

Rogers said the Boy Scouts do have some religious requirements and called this a “gray area.†He said troops that meet at churches might begin their meetings with a prayer, while those meeting in public schools often skip prayer. He said most religious activities associated with the Boy Scouts are conducted on a family level.

“We have had lots of kids who don’t have a belief in God and most of them function well (within Scouting),†Rogers said.

It makes one wonder, is his council following the national membership policies?  Or are some of his words being taken out of context?  Or what?

Edited by NJCubScouter
The answer is, it's my browser playing tricks on me

Merlyn, did you remove that quote intentionally?  It seemed to me I was looking at it and then it disappeared, long after the time it says you edited the post.  I am wondering if the forum is playing tricks on me.

SE Rogers said several interesting things in that article.  Such as:

It makes one wonder, is his council following the national membership policies?  Or are some of his words being taken out of context?  Or what?

Nah I bet he just meant non Judeo-Christian kids (assuming you meant the don't believe in God part). Because honestly calling the religion aspect of Scouting a "grey area" is a MASSIVE understatement. 

Edited by Renax127

Nah I bet he just meant non Judeo-Christian kids (assuming you meant the don't believe in God part). Because honestly calling the religion aspect of Scouting a "grey area" is a MASSIVE understatement. 

This explains why my new (non-jewish, non-christian) kids say, "May the Great Scoutermasters of all true Scouts be with us until we meet again."  ;)

Edited by Mozartbrau

Renax, I see no reason to believe that's what he meant.  I assumed he was using "God" in the same way that the BSA uses "God", to mean any supreme being(s).

But that's not all I was referring to, another one was when the SE said “local organizations select appropriate role models and we don’t question who they pick.† It may just mean that nobody has called or written to that council saying that a particular leader in a particular unit is, for example, openly gay.  That has happened in other councils, and the council did take action.  The other way to read the statement is that this council is not following national policy.  I would not be surprised if a "clarification" appears in the next week or so, stating that the council does follow national policies.  That is the way these things always seem to go, and one can just imagine the calls and emails that occur between National and the council, between the original statement and the "clarification."

This explains why my new (non-jewish, non-christian) kids say, "May the Great Scoutermasters of all true Scouts be with us until we meet again."  ;)

Mozartbrau, I see the smiley face, so I'm about three-quarters sure you are making a joke there.  But I'll ask anyway, does anyone actually say it that way, with "Scoutmasters" in plural?

Our troop says the Scoutmaster's Benediction as part of our standard closing ceremony, but by tradition we say it so quietly that I don't know exactly what anybody's actually saying other than myself.  I'd be willing to bet that there are several different variations that the kids have picked up from each other - not due to any religious differences, but just from misunderstanding what the words are, like a game of "telephone."  I'd also be willing to bet that some of the Scouts do not realize who "the Great Scoutmaster" is.

And now that I think about it, we actually say "Master" rather than "Scoutmaster."  Or at least I do.  Maybe I should check on that...

• Upvote 1

Mozartbrau, I see the smiley face, so I'm about three-quarters sure you are making a joke there.  But I'll ask anyway, does anyone actually say it that way, with "Scoutmasters" in plural?

Yes they do say "Great Scoutmasters". It is pretty funny. But I am 100% sure they do ti because they are new and are just following the mistake made by other (Christian) Scouts who say the same thing.

Yes they do say "Great Scoutmasters". It is pretty funny. But I am 100% sure they do ti because they are new and are just following the mistake made by other (Christian) Scouts who say the same thing.

Which would tend to suggest that some of your Christian Scouts may not really understand whose presence (until we meet again) they are requesting either. 

Which would tend to suggest that some of your Christian Scouts may not really understand whose presence (until we meet again) they are requesting either. 

Possibly. Though I think like many things in life that become responsorial, they do it because they do it. If they stopped to think about it I think they would link the request to their own belief system....and for some of them it is truly "Great Scoutmasters". ;)

Perhaps Freethought could ask for a recruiting session and if they are rejected, sue for discrimination?  What are their membership requirements?  Agreement with their lack of belief?  Could William Penn  and is "free thinking"  join?

Perhaps Freethought could ask for a recruiting session and if they are rejected, sue for discrimination?  What are their membership requirements?  Agreement with their lack of belief?  Could William Penn  and is "free thinking"  join?

Well, they certainly could try suing for similar recruiting opportunities, but that would also mean every church in the area and Satanists would have to get the same recruiting access.

The Freethought Society is a chapter of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, which has no requirements apart from the annual $40 membership, and presumably still being alive, though Christopher Hitchens is an "In Memoriam" member of the FFRF honorary board.