Troop Wants To Change Council.

Go to solution Solved by derf56,

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...and here I was believing that "For the boys" drivel.

Thank you to all who responded. We have received all info from national, in writing. A troop cannot move from one council to another for any reason, Unless all leaders and scouts physically move to t

Smart, Smart... You avoided a civil war in the old homestead.

They say that they are unhappy with couNcil. Thay attended an out of council campoRee this past weekend. They talked them into coming to their summercamp. THan after talking about councils,they were told they could change coucils.

Just need to find out if they can.

Thay have not talked to charter partner aabout if yet.

Just for referance i am former scoutmaster.

What do you mean by fiscally remain in the present council.. Seems somehow this is something where they want their cake and eat it too..

I am unsure they can do this, we have been trying to just switch a unit from one district to another because the school the scouts attend are in the other district with other scouts in the school belonging to the other district and they would like to go to the same district events, if you look at a map it also would make more sense they be in the other district as the one they are in swings out to scoop them up, we can't do it.

There's nothing wrong with attending a campree in a different district or council.  We do it all the time.  

There nothing wrong with attending a summer camp in a different council either.  We do it all the time.

We are boy-led which means they can pick and choose wherever they wish to go for activities.  They get the activity flyers from all the surrounding districts within and outside of the council and pick the one that sounds the most fun.

They really want to do the patrol-method at summer camp.  Our council does not accommodate that so they attend a summer camp that does.

Even with all this discussion going on.  No one has ever suggested we switch councils.  There is no need to, we go where the boys want.  End of discussion.  If the council wants our troop to attend their activities, better start putting on a better program.

No. Ain't gonna happen. Council boundaries are set by national. The physical location of the CO determines the council you're in. We once had a troop and pack chartered to a church which moved to a new facility a few miles away but in another council. In that case, their charter was moved to the new council. Otherwise, forget it.

Then again, you may want to let the new leaders go at it for a while. It will give them something to do to work off the extra steam. A good learning experience too. Like allowing the Scouts to hike a mile or two down the wrong trail.

Your best chance is to find a new CO in the new Council and move your charter.  This will take the cooperation of your current CO if you want to retain unit number, troop equipment, bank account, etc.

Your best chance is to find a new CO in the new Council and move your charter.  This will take the cooperation of your current CO if you want to retain unit number, troop equipment, bank account, etc.

Moving for them would depend on how far the border is to the other council, they may travel an hour or two for their council event, but not wish to do that weekly.. Also the troop # may not be possible even if the CO is agreeable to all of it.. Another unit in the other council may already be using those numbers..

Stosh, I know our troop would go to different district and different council events.. Not all the time, but when they wanted something different and to see how the other half lived.. It definitely would be doable if all they want is to go to the other council events, maybe a little more pricy, some of the camps would charge an extra surcharge for out of council units.

Edited by moosetracker

We have a troop that drives 2 hours every year for our Klondike because they like it much better than the one in their council/district.  They contribute a ton of prizes every year as a thank you for allowing them to participate.  Their boys are some of the nicest scouts I have ever met.

...allowing them to participate?

Never heard of having to get permission to attend an out-of-council event.

My boys do it all the time and never have to get permission.  Just sign up and pay the fee and you go.

When my former troop went to summer camp 4 states away, the camp was happy to have us...and our money.

It's not that we allow or don't allow people to participate, poor choice of words on my part (although there are troops that complain about them coming, but that's a different story).  My comment about getting prizes was just meant to show how thoughtful and courteous this troop was.

Although, Stosh, I do have to say, we don't see a lot of sharing among councils or districts various events in my area and I have heard of troops turned away when they went to register for an event outside their area.

We have an awesome set of neighboring councils not yet absorbed by Laurel Highlands.

I doubt this is a boy-driven decision. Does somebody think they can build their little feifdom in the other council? Do they feel that because they camp out of council their FOS collection should go in that direction?

Suppose a patrol likes their CO's facilities and meeting night, but they would like to camp with a different troop and have their popcorn sells go to that troop's treasury. Would this discruntled troop be okay with a set of boys behaving that way?

In our council, to change districts the DE's have to be ok with it, and although map wise it makes sense for this one town to be in the other district, the DE for that has them does not want to loose the boys, even though it is a struggling pack/troop with not many boys..  The problem is the fact that national puts way to much emphasis on head count and every year increases the head count a DE must have to retain their job.. If the DE is looking already at the need to find 75 or 100 more boys in the next 3 months, the thought of letting 10 boys cross over to another district and ending up with 85 or 110 more boys needed is enough incentive for them to say "No" even if it makes no sense for the unit to be part of their territory.