It would be fun to have one.  But it's more my jealousy than actually choosing one.  

• If I'm going to pull something to camp, it had better have space for camping gear, etc.  
  • If we do more than just troop cooking, then we need multiple trailers.  One for adults.  One for each scout patrol.  That's a lot of trailers.  

I could see really enjoying it if it was for me and one or two others and we could put our great in the trailer too.  

Or it would be great for a large picnic environment.  Otherwise, I just don't see the purpose.

Well, there are some scouts for whom cooking on a camp-out isn't just an annoying chore.  While learning to do more with less is good, sometimes the ability to have a really good multi dish meal is fun.  While I'm certainly capable of dealing with a backcountry trip now and again, it's not my preference.  And I felt the same way as a scout.

Oddly enough, I was the cook most times then too.

Really good multi-dish foods are not exclusive to front-country camping. I, too, was often the camp chef (and still most of the time). Doing more with less is a skill, by definition one doesn't need as much to do a lot. With a small patrol and each person carrying a little, that allows for many combinations of minimal gear. The difference is planning and taking only what is needed, not everything.

We built a smoker out of an old ammo box like Alton Brown did here. We have patrols lining up to use it on various camp outs. We have a hard enough time getting a truck to pull the trailer, let alone a chuck wagon trailer. Nice idea though.

Don't have a trailer, don't need one.  When we plop camp, they can make as many trips as they would like between camp and the parking lot.  I find that as time goes on, the number of trips always get fewer.  We haul all our gear in the back of a pickup truck and the boys ride in passenger vehicles.  One year, I did pull a trailer with my wife's SUV because my pickup truck was being serviced. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2017 at 10:17 AM, elitts said:

Well, there are some scouts for whom cooking on a camp-out isn't just an annoying chore.  While learning to do more with less is good, sometimes the ability to have a really good multi dish meal is fun.  While I'm certainly capable of dealing with a backcountry trip now and again, it's not my preference.  And I felt the same way as a scout.

Oddly enough, I was the cook most times then too.

This was/is me as well.  Chugging along "as many miles as possible" isn't my bag.  I'm grudgingly willing to backpack to get someplace cool if needed, but I HATE it.  (I'll happily canoe though) It's the actual being outdoors I enjoy, and part of that is eating a decent breakfast and a warm, tasty meal at the end of the day.  You might talk me into leaving my seasonings behind in favor of mediocre dehydrated food, but it'll have to be a pretty exceptional destination. 

Besides, when I did Philmont in 92 my pack was 70-75lbs.  Now that so much gear is lighter, you can't tell me to leave the salt/pepper/garlic/parmesean behind when my whole kit weights 50lbs.

with a pack weight that high, it is no wonder you hate it. I am not talking the 70lb pack either. A 50# is way too much. A lighter pack is not about trendy new lightweight gear it is more about not taking stuff. The old timers, Beard, Nessmuk, Kephart, Cave, etc... these guys had light loads and this was over 100 years ago! The secret was knowledge and skill.

They also ate well on extended voyages into the backwoods, and so do I. One does not need to forego good eatin' while backpacking and suffer through mediocre fare.  The secret is the same; knowledge and skill.