This dovetails into a double issue, but one of the reasons I think my boys do well with the food selection and preparation is because we attend a camp that doesn't have a mess hall.  The boys get food from the commissary and do the cooking in the camp site.  It focuses the boys with time as well.  If they are going to get fed, the had better not horse around.  

So they get extra time for this?  No, they have 5 MB session times on the schedule besides cooking all their meals.  While I can't prove it, the perception is that the boys ALL have to pitch in to make it happen and I don't see one or two boys trying to do it all for the patrol, but everyone seems to pitch in or go hungry because they didn't all work together better.

It is interesting in the at the Commissary provides the food and the instructions for cooking, but a lot of time the boys modify things so as to make do or specialize the meal.  I didn't think one could do a cobbler in a fry pan.  They didn't have a DO and it turned out pretty good.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stosh, I think this is the start of the "Guide to Good Eating"    Just to be clear, did your PL ban these awful foods or was it the SM?     As far as I know, my Troop does not have any banned sub

An innovative SPL took a page out of our cooking MB class and created a "Top Chef" competition. Every camp out he pulls several recipes from the troop cook book. PLs then come up during menu planning

Heh, when I started living on my own, I bought a box of instant mashed potatos for a post-college Thanksgiving party.  I was surprised at how good hey were, they tasted just like the mashed potatos my

it has been discussed that marshmallows should be banned form our pack camps.  They always end up as torches, falling out of the pit and stuck to a shoe, or flinging through the air.....

The key to a perfect roasted marshmallow is that you cook them over the coals and not the open flames.  We would let the campfire die down to red coals, demonstrate the proper way of roasting marshmallows and then let the scouts try.  That reduced the number of flaming, charred and flung marshmallows by 50%.  Then we could just throw a couple of logs back on to get the campfire roaring.  

One of the first lessons my boys learn is a good cook fire has no flames.  This is especially important if one doesn't want to scrape all afternoon on cast iron pans that have food burned on like cement.

Golden brown, melted all the way through are the only ones that make it to the chocolate and graham crackers as far as I am concerned.  I have actually had boys want to be taught to do it right.  Lead by example.  :)

Sorry, marshmallows are a staple around the campfire. 

I guess I could add that I frown upon food that magically appears in a Patrol tote during the camping trip when someone happens to leave camp for "coffee" and comes back with [insert forgotten items here].   :mad:  That started happening and I put a stop to it.  If the Scouts forget the ground beef for their tacos they'll just have to settle for veggie tacos with cheese.  This is a great time to learn that, in life, you won't always have the luxury of sending someone to town to get x,y, or z.

• Upvote 1

Learning is often a result of experience, and a good bit of that experience is bad experience.

Try cooking competitions instead of prohibition.

Teenagers are always a "path of least resistance" group. Sure they like good food, but if they can do less work they almost always will.

Agree that cooking competitions help. But these actions need to be continuous to keep the vigor alive.

it has been discussed that marshmallows should be banned form our pack camps.  They always end up as torches, falling out of the pit and stuck to a shoe, or flinging through the air.....

Show them Dutch oven s'mores. They'll never go back to the real ones. ;)

Heh, when I started living on my own, I bought a box of instant mashed potatos for a post-college Thanksgiving party.  I was surprised at how good hey were, they tasted just like the mashed potatos my mom made.  Then it dawned on me.

Lol!

Sadly my mom must have been Julia Childs....everything from scratch. Pain in the patootie replicating my childhood eats, but always worth the effort once I sit down to eat. ;)

What's really bad is when you cook better than your mom....

I love to cook so one would think I would be having problems with my weight.  Nope I weigh in at a mean 172 this morning, 7# more than I weighed when I graduated college.

Put it this way.  People put on more weight with good tasting high calorie crap food than they do eating good tasting well prepared and thought out good-for-you food.  The best thing Micky D's serves is a mean glass of water.....  KFC?  Well let me tell you, their water ranks right up there with the best there is.

For pie irons "Smores"

Bread slices

butter

peanut butter

chocolate

marshmallow

graham cracker

Butter slices bread and place in the pie irons. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each half,  Add chocolate, marshmallow and a crushed graham cracker. Cook in coals. Be very careful when biting in, the insides will burn.

DO S'mores

- Butter 1/3 cup on bottom, greased in like a baking dish

- Layer bottom with graham crackers

- Layer in mashmallows

- Layer in chocolate bars

- Layer top with graham crackers

Cover lid with 4-8 coals, bottom with 3-5 coals...very light heat. Just need melting and slight baking. If you stay or soak the graham crackers in milk they bake well and it's gooier. ;)

“The thirteenth point of the Scout Law is… A Scout is Hungry.  He is grateful for the efforts of others in feeding him. He is eager to learn how to successfully feed others. He cleans as he cooks.  There is no dish so mediocre that it cannot be improved with ketchup.â€

= From an old IOLS handout =   

• Upvote 1

The only things banned are Soda, Energy drinks and bottled water. Soda is sometimes given as a patrol competition prize.

The issue with bottled water is it generates too much trash and bottles tend to be left all over the campsite

The scouts can make what ever they want but they can not repeat a meal the rest of the year

We started holding an "Iron Chef" contest on campouts. The patrol gets a "golden" frying pan to hold on to until the next completion

The Scouts really like this and are asking to do them on every campout.

Meals have become much more adventurous and the Scouts are using recipes