Guide To Safe Scouting

I have often wondered why BSA has titled this little document GUIDE to Safe Scouting instead of something like Safe Scouting Policies.  Policies seem to invoke strict rules where Guide seems to invoke a more lenient guidelines approach.

So are they guidelines or are they mandates?

I put this under issues and politics for a reason.

:)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because BSA is less strict then even pirates. The code is more like "guidelines".  

Aye, Captain Mozartbrau, 'tis one of the best posts there is.  R     Which reminds me, which letter is the Pirates most favorite?

Stosh, when is the last time you saw a moderator in this forum take any action (as opposed to maybe making a stray comment once in a while) because a thread has gone off topic?

I think they call everything "Guide" or "Guidelines". Exhibit B.

For my money, our unit treats anything coming from BSA as policy. As discussed in another thread, when it comes to safety and some other things we assume the BSA "guidelines" to be minimum policy and will add to it (as long at not advancements) if we deem it in our scouts' best interest. Water safety comes to mind. Training is another. For instance, we require all scoutmasters to have IOLS, leader-specific, YPT, CPR/AED, first aid and all the "optional" training in order to hold a position in our unit. This way we have many trained (and hopefully, enlightened adults) on our outings.

The Guide to Safe Scouting has both guidelines and mandates - the key is to read carefully and look for certain keywords.  When you see words such as must, shall, are limited to, required - then you're dealing with a mandate from policy.  When you see words such as should, may, recommended - then you're dealing with guidelines.  The Guide isn't an actual policy document, it just gives an overview of various policies that fit into the safe scouting rubric and enhances that overview with guidelines on implementing the policies and on best practices.

When you see words such as must, shall, are limited to, required - then you're dealing with a mandate from policy.  When you see words such as should, may, recommended - then you're dealing with guidelines. 

Not sure that works. In the tools guidelines. You have a sentence where the term "guidelines" is clearly meant as a directive.

"Manufacturers’ literature and age and skill restrictions shall supersede the recommendations on the chart below. If there is a conflict, leaders shall follow the most restrictive guidelines."

For the average Scouter, they'd be best served treating any BSA doc as the minimum requirements and, as shown above, if there are other directions, policies, guidelines which are more safe (e.g., manufacturer directions, Coast Guard guidelines, etc.) they should use those.

I, too, regard the G2SS as rules for how to conduct a Scouting event.  Similarly, there is the Chicago Manual of Style for scholarly writing and it's also an "Essential Guide." Safety with the youth and turning in a paper written willy-nilly aren't the same thing, but both have guides to show us how to do it properly.

Why does BSA insist on vague language when it deals with important issues?

Could you provide a quote?   :cool:

I just want to make sure I'm "referencing" so Qwazse doesn't call me out again.   ;)

Edited by LeCastor

Could you provide a quote?   :cool:

Page 105 of the G2SS.  One part of the page says that open platforms above4 feet with proper fall protection requires someone to be 18 or older to do,  but the NOTE states pionering projects, such as monkey bridges, have a maximum height of 6 feet.

Some have read that signal towers are A OK with anyone going on them and without the protective gear, and others say protective gear is required and only adults can go on them..

Page 105 of the G2SS.  One part of the page says that open platforms above4 feet with proper fall protection requires someone to be 18 or older to do,  but the NOTE states pionering projects, such as monkey bridges, have a maximum height of 6 feet.

Some have read that signal towers are A OK with anyone going on them and without the protective gear, and others say protective gear is required and only adults can go on them..

OR....

1) All platforms must be less than 4'.  If taller than that only those older than 18 years of age with fall protection to be on them.

2) Pioneering projects must be less than 6' in height and if greater than 4', only those 18 years of age with fall protection can be on them.

This means you can be on a Philmont trail that walks along a 50' precipice is okay, but you need fall protection to cross a river on a 5' monkey bridge and they must be an adult.

The more one reads this stuff the more clear it becomes..... :)

Okay, let me get this straight... any boy that is on the top bunk is breaking the rules because they are too young and they don't have fall protection on?  Do I have that correct?

I sure am glad G2SS is crystal clear for all situations one comes across.

Why does BSA insist on vague language when it deals with important issues?

Because BSA is less strict then even pirates. The code is more like "guidelines". ;)

Edited by Mozartbrau
  • Upvote 1