To Do Or Not To Do, That Is The Question.....

It might be a bit interesting to find out how and how one works with Dutch ovens.  There's been quite a bit of talk about them, but as a scout we never used them.  It wasn't until I became a leader did I see a more general use for them.

1) Do you use Dutch ovens?

2) Wood or charcoal?

3) Troop cook or patrol cook?

4) Size(s) used?

5) Uses: stove top style (Stews, soups, oatmeals) or Oven (breads, pies, cobblers, casseroles, pot roast, etc.)

6) Do you own an aluminum Dutch oven?

7) Do you use DO's on activities other than plop camping?

8) Aluminum foil liners or clean as you go?

9) Oil or wax?

10) Troop use any other cast iron other than the Dutch Oven?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1.  Yes, it not uncommon to see our Scouts interested in using the Dutch oven. 2.  Charcoal unless we are running low and then I've seen Scouts pile wood coals on top. 3.  Patrol cook.  (Of course! 

I don't do a lot of trips where it is feasable to carry that weight. Even on canoe trips, there are multiple portages and a light duffle is still the way to go. I learned to cook on the open fire and

Hit the antique stores and resale stores for cast iron.  I have taken some really bad stuff (as long as it isn't cracked) and brought it back to life.  And once you get a small fry pan and maybe a cou

1.  Yes, it not uncommon to see our Scouts interested in using the Dutch oven.

2.  Charcoal unless we are running low and then I've seen Scouts pile wood coals on top.

3.  Patrol cook.  (Of course!  :D )

4.  #12

5.  Egg bake ('Mountain Man'), breads, cobblers

6.  Only cast iron here

7.  We once packed in some DOs to Rock Island State Park in off the coast of Door County, WI.  

8.  Clean as you go.

9.  Oil

10.  I once brought my cast iron skillet to make pancakes for the Duct Tape Patrol (old guys and gals).

• Upvote 1

It might be a bit interesting to find out how and how one works with Dutch ovens.  There's been quite a bit of talk about them, but as a scout we never used them.  It wasn't until I became a leader did I see a more general use for them.

2) Wood or charcoal?

4) Size(s) used?

5) Uses: stove top style (Stews, soups, oatmeals) or Oven (breads, pies, cobblers, casseroles, pot roast, etc.)

9) Oil or wax?

1.  Yes

2.  Primarily charcoal, but we have used wood.

3.  Patrol cook, although the adult patrol often makes a cobbler for the troop.

4.  Not sure.

5.  Both.

6.  No, but I am looking at them.

7.  No

8.  Parchment liners.

9.  Oil

10. Yes, we use cast iron skillets on the camp stove. This is for plop camping only. 

Yes

2) Wood or charcoal?

Both, mostly charcoal

Patrol 

4) Size(s) used?

I forget, I'll check if I remember. 

Both

No cast iron

No

Depends on the patrols decisions, adults swear by the liners

9) Oil or wax?

Oil, didn't know you could use wax/..

yes. Griddles and skillets. 

1) Do you use Dutch ovens? YES

2) Wood or charcoal? Mostly charcoal but have used wood embers and stovetop (propane gas).

3) Troop cook or patrol cook? Patrol

4) Size(s) used? 8 qt

5) Uses: stove top style (Stews, soups, oatmeals) or Oven (breads, pies, cobblers, casseroles, pot roast, etc.) - Both

6) Do you own an aluminum Dutch oven? NO

7) Do you use DO's on activities other than plop camping? Yes. Outdoor fundraiser lunch booths. Weight and cool-down time limits use to sedentary sites.

8) Aluminum foil liners or clean as you go? Tend to use liners for the sticky desserts and cheesy gooey dishes.

9) Oil or wax? Oil

10) Troop use any other cast iron other than the Dutch Oven? Yes, skillets

Bonus round

11) Feet or not? Feet

12) Accessories? Charcoal chimney, welders gloves (usually cheaper), lid lifter (rotating lip/pot, lifting pot), aluminum foil/occasionally parchment paper, storage lid wedge

13) Lodge (USA) or not? Lodge (USA), God have mercy on any WoodBadger that bought elsewhere.

14) Cleaning - hot water, metal mesh scrub pad, dish cloths, NO SOAP

1. Yes

2. Mostly charcoal

3. Mostly adult patrol, some patrol

4. 12 and 14 inch

5. Stove top and oven

6. Yes I have one aluminum oven

7. Not much. Some cooking demos

8. Have used liners. I mostly clean as I go. Boys like them.

9. Oil

10.Yes. skillets and griddles

1) Do you use Dutch ovens? Yes

2) Wood or charcoal? Mostly charcoal

3) Troop cook or patrol cook? Patrol

4) Size(s) used? Mostly 12" and 14", regular or deep

5) Uses: stove top style (Stews, soups, oatmeals) or Oven (breads, pies, cobblers, casseroles, pot roast, etc.) Yes. They make great skillets.

6) Do you own an aluminum Dutch oven? No

7) Do you use DO's on activities other than plop camping? Also on rivers where we don't have to portage

8) Aluminum foil liners or clean as you go? That's a religious fight. If it's my DO I'd never use a liner, but I take care of my gear. Troop gear is not so well taken care of.

9) Oil or wax? Wax? What are you, an Egyptian mummy?

10) Troop use any other cast iron other than the Dutch Oven? Skillets

Replies as colored text....

1) Do you use Dutch ovens?  Yes

2) Wood or charcoal? Both. When possible wood fires. If not, then charcoal.

3) Troop cook or patrol cook?  Patrol. Each patrol has one DO. If they need a second they need to plan in advance and barrow one from another patrol or the adults.

4) Size(s) used?  12" and 14". Most are regular depth. A few are "deep". Link to sizes here.

5) Uses: stove top style (Stews, soups, oatmeals) or Oven (breads, pies, cobblers, casseroles, pot roast, etc.)  Most ovens for cobbers, mountain man, pizza, stews or casseroles, chicken Kiev,  fish boils, fried pies, etc. Even taught the guys how to use the lids to make flapjacks.

6) Do you own an aluminum Dutch oven? No. Cast iron.

7) Do you use DO's on activities other than plop camping? Yes, cooking competitions, demos and Cooking MB classes. Also teach first years to cook using DOs.

8) Aluminum foil liners or clean as you go? Depends. Up to the Scouts. 

9) Oil or wax? Wax? Urgh! Oil

10) Troop use any other cast iron other than the Dutch Oven?  Each patrol has 12" skillets and DOs. The adult kitchen has griddles.

Lodge all the way. Drove past the Lodge outlet store in TN a few years back...was all my wife could to to keep me from spending $1000 there. I nearly set up permanent camp up in the middle of the store!

Edited by Mozartbrau

1) Do you use Dutch ovens?  Definitely. Box ovens, reflector ovens, sandwich presses, campfire popcorn poppers, you name it

2) Wood or charcoal?  Usually charcoal, with a starter chimney.  Saves a lot of time.  But we will use coals from the campfire it it's ready.

3) Troop cook or patrol cook?  Both.  Summer camp is mostly a troop deal so guys take turns cooking campfire snacks for the whole troop.  Otherwise, all cooking is by patrol.

4) Size(s) used?  Mainly 12"  I personally have a 16".  We also have two casserole dish cast iron pans we've had metal lid made for.  They're great for cookies, brownies and big skillet breakfasts.

5) Uses: stove top style (Stews, soups, oatmeals) or Oven (breads, pies, cobblers, casseroles, pot roast, etc.)  Mostly oven

6) Do you own an aluminum Dutch oven?  Yes, but no one ever uses.  The heat distribution is weird.

7) Do you use DO's on activities other than plop camping?  Troop meetings, cook-offs, demonstrations.

8) Aluminum foil liners or clean as you go?  We use parchment liners.  They aren't leak proof so you still have to clean the DO, but sugary stuff doesn't bake on.  I find the heat build up under the foil liners is hard on the finish.

9) Oil or wax?  Flax seed oil

10) Troop use any other cast iron other than the Dutch Oven?  Every patrol has cast iron skillets plus the afore-mentioned casserole pans.

Edited by Twocubdad

1.  Yes.

2. Usually charcoal with a starter chimney.  Other accessories include either a pan or platform to protect the ground (LNT)

3. Patrol (we don't do any Troop cooking)

4.  12", 16" - also one dad has an 8" which opens up using it on backpacks at least for the truly committed

5. Everything - full dinners to desserts

6. Yes, just one but it's the last choice

7. Troop meetings, community events

8. Mostly clean, but aluminum foil on occasion

9. Oil

10. Skillets

Yes, WAX....!

For those who have ever had to reseason a Dutch oven because the oil went rancid, with wax I have some of my older Dutch ovens and cast iron cookware that hasn't been used for many years and is just as "fresh" as the day I packed it away.  Be sure to use bee's wax (natural) and not regular candle or canning wax (parafin is petroleum based).  When I store my large, not often used DO's I put the hot waxed cover on and seal it shut.  Never have to worry about rancid oil in foods ever again.  There is a draw back to wax.  It makes a really great smell of honey when cooking.  :)

As far as liners are concerned.  I have used cast iron for 20 years every day in my kitchen and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER heat beyond a medium heat on anything.  Things stick because they burn on, For me my cast iron is better than Teflon or any of the new ceramic finishes on the market.  If you scratch it, no big deal add extra oil and reseason.  Brand new finish!  If a large piece chips off, toss the whole thing in a self-cleaning oven, run a cycle, wash the rust and ashes off.  Reseason and you're done.  Brand new again.  Just remember to keep the heat to 3 up/3 down for medium heat on a DO and don't go beyond that unless food is not touching the oven walls or bottom.

2) Wood or charcoal?

4) Size(s) used?

9) Oil or wax?

1) Yes we use them. Adults mostly, but one patrol has a a cook who loves his DOs, so he has used his personal one.

2) Depends. If I have access to wood, i do use it. But I mostly use charcoal.

3) Patrols.  Only time we ever "troop" cooked was demonstrating liquid fuel backpacking stoves.

4) #10

More later

1 Yes

2 Charcoal with a starter chimney.

3 We used to patrol cook, but now troop.

4 #10 (I think)

5 Both.  We have done everything from stir fry to monkey bread and cobblers to lasagna and fried chicken.

6 No. Cast iron only.

7 Sometimes for troop meetings.

8 We have dutch oven liners that we use, but we will clean as we go if someone forgets to use one.  :o

9 Oil

10 We have cast iron griddles.

Sorry I'm back.

#5 Both. We've done casseroles, pizzas, etc as well as stews and skillet stuff. Also we have used just the top as a griddle by inverting it.

#6 1 of the new leaders has an aluminum one we takes on canoe trips. he said he will bring to play with next time he's in the country and can camp.

#7 Me and the other "old" leaders are a no. New leader has taken his new one canoeing.

#8 Ditto what 2Cub said about parchment paperliners.  I LOVE THEM!

#9 Oil.

#10 I personally have access to a cast iron pan and skillet that I use regularly at home. SWMBO would inflict a slow painful death upon me if I even tried to take them out of the house as they are her grandmothers, or maybe great-granmothers.

Now the leaders won a cast iron skillet last year for a DO cook off. But we haven't used it yet.

Edited by Eagle94-A1

Who doesn't?

2) Wood or charcoal?

Mostly charcoal, but will use wood embers if we have a fire going.  On a winter campout, we once put it in a pot bellied stove.

Patrol cooking.  The Troop has two dutch ovens and between the SM / ASMs we have at least another 6 

4) Size(s) used?

12 inch and 12 inch deep.

Pasta (1 pound pasta, 1 jar sauce, 1 jar water, 30 minutes), chili, meatballs, short ribs, spare ribs, stews, corn bread, dump cakes, cheese cake, chocolate layer cakes, cobblers, apple pies, brownies, monkey bread, coffee cake and lots more.

Isn't that a contradiction?

We also use them for the cooking merit badge class (we had 6 going at once) and the boys use them for patrol meetings when they are doing cooking related activiteis.

It depends.  For pasta and baking we use paper liners. We've also used oven roaster bags for liners.  For stews and other things that need to be stirred, we don't use liners because they tear.

9) Oil or wax?

Crisco.  It doesn't go rancid like oil, it is easy to use, can't spill and comes in small and large cans.  What more could you want?

The boys use cast iron skillets to make pancakes (smooth side) and bacon (ridged side).  I also have a double pie iron (lots of fun at campfires with some pie dough and filling or bread and jelly) and a waffle iron. 

11) Feet or not?

Feet.

12) Accessories?

Lid lifter, lid stand, Lodge gloves, trivets (for next two items), pie plates (how else do you make an apple pie?), cake pans (double chocolate layer cake), muffin pan (blueberry muffins) and square pan (brownies and coffee cake)

13) Lodge (USA) or not?

Lodge (USA).

14) Cleaning

Hot water, scrubby sponge but no soap.  If it is real bad, throw it on the grill for 10 minutes and scrape clean.  Wax paper and Crisco to finish it off.

Edited by Hedgehog