• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's where the PL needs to start teaching "leadership from the back seat."  By this I mean the boys doing the KP need to be doing it because they are taking care of their buddies in the patrol, not

I use Kudu's method of distance between patrols so we don't have a centralized KP station.  Every patrol does their own thing from food prep through cooking to clean-up.   Adults are on their own.

Still use the three pot method: one Hot soapy container for cleaning, one Medium for rinsing, and one Cold with bleach for sterilizing.    One patrol at least may be changing to the Philmont method

We sanitize and I STILL run my personal plates through the dishwasher at home.

Why? If the water is clean and the process well-run, you should be good.

The sanitizing step on a campout is unecessary. Soap kills nasties, boiling water kills nasties. But even that is overkill because the "dirty"plate was not contaminated in the first place. The point of cleaning it is to remove the medium in which bacteria will colonize if left unwashed.

With the sanitizer, you don't need boiling water.  The sanitizer works in cold water.  We teach the Scouts to heat one kettle of hot water and divide it among the three tubs, then adding sufficient cold water for the job.  Using warm water help cut the grease and makes it a little more comfortable in cold weather.

Gee, I have only one sink at home...  I wash and then rinse with hot water from the tap, then put in the rack to dry.

I always prepare, eat and clean up by myself.  Usually I cook in the frypan and eat right out of it, then I wash in soapy water, dunk in boiling water, hold over the fire to dry and put away,  Same applies to the metal coffee cup I use.  Dutch Oven gets cleaned out with water, then heated to dry and then oiled.  My stamped steel frypan us treated like a cast iron fry pan so it only gets rinsed and re-oiled.

I do understand why boys who don't pay much attention to the seriousness of cleanliness need the extra precaution that the 3 bucket system provides.

1.  Wash in soapy water

2. Dunk in boiling water

3. Hold over fire to dry

vs.

1. Wash in soapy water

2. Dunking rinse water

3. Dunk in water with a sanitizing tablet

Not sure I see a huge difference.

1.  Wash in soapy water

2. Dunk in boiling water

3. Hold over fire to dry

vs.

1. Wash in soapy water

2. Dunking rinse water

3. Dunk in water with a sanitizing tablet

Not sure I see a huge difference.

Well, for one thing, you can't use the fire to dry the plastic junk the boys bring to eat off of.  :)

2 buckets instead of 3.

But I dont use any buckets. Hot water is made. Put drop of soap in mess kit (If oily, soap is to cut grease) add hot water, just enough to wipe out any remaining bits of food. Rinse with a little more hot water. Wipe dry with bandana.

Instead of putting dishes into buckets of water, change the paradigm and add the water to what is being cleaned.

Sanitizing is a waste, there is nothing to sanitize. The entire purpose is to remove any remaining food which could grow bacteria.

I think part of the three bucket method is to reinforce the Patrol Method.  What opportuinity is there for boys to work together if they all just rinse their plates?  The three bucket method is an exercise in team work.  One guy boils water, one guy takes out the buckets and drops in the soap and sanitizing tablet, one guy half fills the first two buckets with cold water and third bucket with entirely with cold water.  One guy in charge of scraping, one guy in charge of washing, one guy in charge of sanitizing, one guy in charge of drying.  Two guys in charge of filtering the water as they dump it.

As for the necessity of sanitizing, lets just say that one extra bucket kills any viruses that could be picked up from scouts hands, eating surfaces, etc.  And, from the looks of the rinse bucket, that extra rinse IS necessary.  That really is the difference.  If you have running water in your sink, you rinse the plates in clean running water -- not a basin that has been used to rinse everything else which may or may not be totally clean due to the residue from the wash bucket.

Now, I think that Stosh's clean-up method makes sense when we go backpaking.  We don't cook as patrols - everyone has their own food prepared in their own pots and eaten off their own plates. My method is to wipe with a small paper towel, wash with warm water and rinse with boiling water - using as little water as necessary.