• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with Stosh on this one.  Our Troop operates in the same way with PLs signing off on their Patrol members' advancement.  This wasn't always the case, though.  When I became SM it was very much

The answer is in the Guide to Advancement (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf)   ​4.2.1.2 The Scout Is Tested   The unit leader authorizes those who may test and pass the Scout on

Yeah, I think there is more relevance-maintenance  and control hungriness in Scouting that we would like.    But, hey, that's why we have capable GTA looker-uppers like Hedgie, quality trainers like

Statistically an unsafe behavior repeated 130 times will result in 100 times nothing will happen. 29 times that activity will produce injury, and once it will be fatal.

The safety speaker that presented that information had a jar of candy with 130 pieces of candy in it.  He then said that there are 100 pieces of candy in the jar that are okay.  29 that have a massive amount of laxative in it and one is poisonous.  He offered it to everyone listening.  No one wanted any.  But as he pointed out, other activities won't be so obvious.

SSScout, totally agree. This was a while ago and I do know if they still do it or not. I didn't know that this was wrong until I changed troops and took training so I was the newbie. However, when I did mentio this stuff to leaders that were still in the troop it didn't matter. This was one of those troops where the CC and a lot of the committee had been with the troop for years and years and they were "large and in charge" so to speak. Again it has been quite a while since I have spoken to people in the troop so I hop things have changed.

This is what had been going on in our troop (some of you will remember my thread about a "deferred" BOR)  We had to contact district and council to get these individuals educated about BSA policy.

Going back to the original post... it is unfortunate that some trainers sometimes feel a need to make things up.  Or maybe the other ASM misunderstood what was said by the trainer or by a participant.  As has been quoted from the Guide to Advancement, it is up to the unit leader (in this case the Scoutmaster) who signs off on rank advancements.  In our troop First Class Scouts and above can sign off for T-2-1 requirements except for Scout Spirit and 1 or 2 others that require an adult's signature.  (LIke the First Class requirement that says talk to a teacher, attorney etc. about your rights and responsibilities as a citizen, that one is signed off by the person the Scout has the discussion with.)  Star, Life and Eagle requirements are generally signed off by adults.

"He offered it to everyone listening."

Man, that was your chance to eat a handful, fake a heart attack, and cause near panic in the guy's mind.

Naw, this guy was great.  He would know the bluff right away.  He's the guy that when he saw 4 guys in a trench putting in sewer line without the massive metal forms to keep the sandy soil from collapsing in called to them to get out of there.  They wouldn't listen, so he tossed stones at them until they got mad enough to come after him.  After they got out of the trench and were ready to beat the crap out of him he said, "Go ahead and hit me, at least now I know you're safe."

Please think upon the implication of this 2015 statement by BSA:

Patrols will sometimes join with other patrols to learn skills and complete advancement requirements.

[emphasis added]

The Scout is to primarily experience Scouting in the context of the patrol.

The troop exists for administrative convenience.
Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 1