"knights In Shing Armor" Day Camp Theme

<<

How are y'all handling the swords, as far as the scouts go? We had small ones made of wood that our program director made and had them paint. Problem was, if anyone was even remotely seen as pointing it at someone or poking someone with it, they had it taken. I admit I apparently spaced out during training when that was covered but I don't even know why we had them there if that was a huge no no. Yes I realize you can't go around stabbing one another but...well, I'll hush, lol. Just curious how others are doing it. That's why we jousted with noodles :p>>

Swords are made from about 18" of 1/2" PVC pipe,  with hilt made of 3/4" wood with a 5/8" hole bored in it,  and screwed into the PVC to hold it in place.  The PVC pipe is covered with a layer of pipe insulation for padding and that is covered with a layer of aluminum foil  ("Cubs in SHINING" armor!)

Swords will not be issued to Cub Scouts  --- there is no way to stop them from fighting with each other.

Instead,  swords and lances will be considered stage props for activities such as skits and den pictures.

For jousting I have two "quintains"  (Google that if interested)  They are rotating targets boys can hit with a lance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go to Monty Python " And the Holy Grail"  and enlist your adult helpers there by. " We're knights of the round table, we dance when ere we're able, and imitate  Clark Gable..." etc. Name your Staff a

Our Cub Scout Day Camp is July 21-24.     Still have one activity that needs to be developed  --- our obstacle course,  which we want to include a Scouting style rope Monkey Bridge.   I have a Cu

Posted Images

<<

How are y'all handling the swords, as far as the scouts go? We had small ones made of wood that our program director made and had them paint. Problem was, if anyone was even remotely seen as pointing it at someone or poking someone with it, they had it taken. I admit I apparently spaced out during training when that was covered but I don't even know why we had them there if that was a huge no no. Yes I realize you can't go around stabbing one another but...well, I'll hush, lol. Just curious how others are doing it. That's why we jousted with noodles :p>>

Swords are made from about 18" of 1/2" PVC pipe,  with hilt made of 3/4" wood with a 5/8" hole bored in it,  and screwed into the PVC to hold it in place.  The PVC pipe is covered with a layer of pipe insulation for padding and that is covered with a layer of aluminum foil  ("Cubs in SHINING" armor!)

Swords will not be issued to Cub Scouts  --- there is no way to stop them from fighting with each other.

Instead,  swords and lances will be considered stage props for activities such as skits and den pictures.

For jousting I have two "quintains"  (Google that if interested)  They are rotating targets boys can hit with a lance.

Gotcha :) We should have never had them handed out but for some reason she figured that's a great idea. The quintains are an awesome idea!