"knights In Shing Armor" Day Camp Theme

Hmmm...

I'm thinking of a man sized piñata that boys could raise,  lower and pull in different directions using ropes.  Another boy would "fight" the opponent and the opponent would be dropped to the ground when a good blow was struck.

I'll have to think about that some more....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go to Monty Python " And the Holy Grail"  and enlist your adult helpers there by. " We're knights of the round table, we dance when ere we're able, and imitate  Clark Gable..." etc. Name your Staff a

Our Cub Scout Day Camp is July 21-24.     Still have one activity that needs to be developed  --- our obstacle course,  which we want to include a Scouting style rope Monkey Bridge.   I have a Cu

Posted Images

Hmmm

I'm thinking of a man sized piñata that boys could raise,  lower and pull in different directions using ropes.  Another boy would "fight" the opponent and the opponent would be dropped to the ground when a good blow was struck.

I'll have to think about that some more....

I know some people I would like to use as a pinata can I send them your way ?

I'm thinking about an attack Cub Dens could launch at day camp....

I have some 1.5x3 foot images of animals painted on plywood.  Perhaps they could be mounted so that attacking Cub Scouts could knock them over.

Orange traffic cones would have to be attacked and subdued by attacking Cub Scouts.

For a finale,  all the boys in a den would have to subdue a 4x8 foot plywood dragon.  Soaking it with buckets of water perhaps?  Or whatever.

Perhaps a second defending den would set up the obstacles before they got their chance to do the attack...

Still thinking about this one....

Oriental Trading sells cheap/good compass for less than 50cents. DO NOT get the black and white ones, they are painted on things.  Get the plastic, multi color ones on a caribiner.  They actually point north and can be used to Navigate!   Practice pacing (so many steps for 100 feet) and send them on a compass scavenger hunt.  Even Tigers with a parent can do it, especially if they are in a fairly open field area.   Four 90degree turns, they should be back to start! That sort of thing.

Dens draw a map of the campsite.  Pace off the distances, do it at lunch break.   Scout Scavenger hunt is good, record the "sign" they see on the "landmark", like an orienteering course, but simpler, smaller.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to see how your camp ended up going (I wasn't sure which week y'all were doing it.) Ours with this theme starts tomorrow. I have very little to do with planning the program like I'd hoped (I was up to my eye balls in spreadsheets, paperwork, a few crafts, binders and doodles.)

1/4" plywood, 16x 24 inches.   A piece cut off the length of the shield is nailed on two pieces of 2x4 to form a handle.  The handle is nailed on the shield from the front,  then the front is covered with aluminum foil glued to the face of the shield.   Den names and numbers decorate the front of the shield,  and boys accumulate stickers as they complete various activities and competitions.

The boys get a plywood blank,  the plywood for the handle and the 2x4 standoffs.  They hammer the shield together then cover it with aluminum foil and decorate it as they please. This worked fine when I did it as a Tiger Cub den activity.

Shields will be used in our jousting competition and available for use in skits.

I'm imagining that these will be fun for boys to make and that they will grow attached to them as they display their "honors" on the shield as they win them. 

Personally,  I'm not big on most of BSA's Cub Scout bling.  It's too expensive and burdensome to attach to uniforms. We do a lot with stickers.

July 21-24 is the Day Camp.

Edited by SeattlePioneer

Our Cub Scout Day Camp is July 21-24.

Still have one activity that needs to be developed  --- our obstacle course,  which we want to include a Scouting style rope Monkey Bridge.

I have a Cub Pack with the materials needed for that,  but I need one or more experienced people to assemble it.

Today I e-mailed the five people on the District Pioneering Merit Badge list to see if I get any nibbles.

Just locked up a volunteer to put together our health/First Aid activity,  which will include practice with first aid kits the Red Cross is providing for each boy for no cost.

• Upvote 1

Just locked up a volunteer to put together our health/First Aid activity,  which will include practice with first aid kits the Red Cross is providing for each boy for no cost.

Very cool! I'll have to call our local office and see if they're up for something similar.

Cub Scout Obstacle course: "Crossing the Crocodile infested Amazon " "Look out for the Piranha!"

--- Nail/screw 2x4 end pieces to a 2x4 set narrow side up to make a balance beam. Make a couple shorter ones, arrange in a curvy row. Add some 9" cinder blocks (called CMUs by architects) to jump to and from.

---Tie a heavy rope between two big trees about 4" off the ground, maybe 10' long, tight, and another rope about 5' higher for them to hold on to. Ask them to navigate that.

---Old tires on ground to hop in and out of, like the course you see football players use, but don't be alarmed if the Cubs can't make the distance with the shorter legs. They will still have fun with it.

--- Sink a fencepost in the ground, 4' high. Use the tires, have the Cubs pair/triple up to lift the tire OVER ONTO the

fence post. Can a Den do it as a team for time? . Scout staff can lift them back for the next team, or just pile'm on, add on to it.

Set up a relay race for the Den, for time. Use balls, flag folding, stick handoffs, knot tying, filling up a measured bucket with a wet sponge.... Make stations for the Cub Dens to travel between.

KiS MiF!

Now that I have a minute (of course well after midnight), I'm attaching a few photos of our twilight camp (these scouts' parents have signed photo waivers for what its worth.) For camp, some of our activities were: 

• Noodle jousting
  • Swimming in Lady Laura's Lake (a play on lady of the lake and utilizing our pool) 
  • Archery in the form of shooting at castles at bower's battlegrounds (since dragons are a no-go) 
  • Creating shields, swords, a mini coat of honor on a rope (for name tags), paper helmets & capes all in crafts 
  • Whittling (for those who don't have the chip yet), learning the various ways to make foil packs and fires for Webelos (no one made a fire, just went over every step except the lighting) & learning the proper way to do a handshake for all ages (our area of scout skills)
  • Creating catapults from drink caps, Popsicle sticks & rubber bands & seeing chemical reactions for engineering
  • There was more (bb range, another photo op, etc.) but this is the jist of it.

My best friend worked on the sheilds for the opening ceremony in one of the photos below (one of the few ideas we borrowed from national.) She and I (very last minute) turned 6 large fridge boxes into a castle that the kids have used a photo prop all week (and dragon hole up for our mascot.) 

Its been a very hot but wonderful week. For a camp we were worried wouldn't pan out, I couldn't have asked for a better time. The boys have loved it. Our dinner and awards are tomorrow.

post-39654-0-19861300-1434689329_thumb.jpg

post-39654-0-00576100-1434689342_thumb.jpg

post-39654-0-82817100-1434689486_thumb.jpg

post-39654-0-27137100-1434689493_thumb.jpg

post-39654-0-40999000-1434689500_thumb.jpg

post-39654-0-31904600-1434689510_thumb.jpg

post-39654-0-37093600-1434689527_thumb.jpg

1. Great ideas and pictures!

I especially liked the castle and the archery targets.

We have a volunteer who is going to be making a castle out of a 4x8 piece of plywood + some add on towers.  We'll be using that and swords and lances I made as props for skits.

The lances will also be used in our jousting competition  --- we have two "quintains"  for jousting which can be used in a variety of ways which should be fun.

1. Great ideas and pictures!

I especially liked the castle and the archery targets.

We have a volunteer who is going to be making a castle out of a 4x8 piece of plywood + some add on towers.  We'll be using that and swords and lances I made as props for skits.

The lances will also be used in our jousting competition  --- we have two "quintains"  for jousting which can be used in a variety of ways which should be fun.

Thanks :) Those targets were such a pain. So much sponging, lol. We did it indoors as we were dying outside in 100+ degree heat. But made for fast drying! By the time those were done, I just slapped some targets on a castle and printed it for bb targets. We just didn't have the time to make anything as elaborate for over there (or the materials.)

Y'all's castle sounds like it will be great! We went with a western theme last year and someone made a stage coach. I don't want to know how long that took him but it looked awesome. Sadly he dropped out this year so we made due with what we had (he too was going to make a castle of such out of some material he had laying around.)

How are y'all handling the swords, as far as the scouts go? We had small ones made of wood that our program director made and had them paint. Problem was, if anyone was even remotely seen as pointing it at someone or poking someone with it, they had it taken. I admit I apparently spaced out during training when that was covered but I don't even know why we had them there if that was a huge no no. Yes I realize you can't go around stabbing one another but...well, I'll hush, lol. Just curious how others are doing it. That's why we jousted with noodles :p

We got Lucky..We actually had Patrick Lambke "The Black Knight" &Troope from KEJA perform for our Cub Scouts at an Event.

There are 3 Albums on Facebook..Open to Public to View. here is a Link to the  Albums

https://www.facebook.com/johnpaul.stoddard/media_set?set=a.542177099132420.144210.100000204053599&type=3 

https://www.facebook.com/johnpaul.stoddard/media_set?set=a.542423669107763.144262.100000204053599&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/johnpaul.stoddard/media_set?set=a.546492022034261.145142.100000204053599&type=3