Tracking Any Bugs Or Feature Requests For The New Forum

I thought the same thing as you Faith, but I can't find anywhere to indicate that.  But with the name Faith and a Den Mother avatar, I bet I can guess your gender in less than 3 guesses.  :)

Maybe so. I just don't want people to think its a façade and I have anything fishy to hide ya know ;) Plus...its just one of those things that bugs me hah.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forum members have have been making more mistakes with Up (green) and Down (red) voting.   Can the arrow buttons be made larger and positioned farther apart?   Could members be allowed to change t

Remember Mozartbrau, too much of a good thing is not acceptable in the BSA.  

Faith,   I did a quick cursory survey of the profiles of a number of the members.     Of all the active moderators they have gender marked. (active past 24 hours)   Of all the active members the

Posted Images

I'm guessing here, but maybe if you put your birthdate in the software, it calculates your age that on your birthday it updates your profile automatically.

Probably. Maybe it throws you a tiny little virtual birthday party as well. Edited by NJCubScouter

Click on your user name at the top of the screen, then My Profile, then Edit my profile, its all there.

Hmm. I'm still missing something. That was the first thing I tried before posting and I see no spot for gender. I see birthday among other things but no gender. I realize it has to be there somewhere, I just don't see it:/

Click on your user name at the top of the screen, then My Profile, then Edit my profile, its all there.

Hmm. I'm still missing something. That was the first thing I tried before posting and I see no spot for gender. I see birthday among other things but no gender. I realize it has to be there somewhere, I just don't see it:/

I see it too but when I click Edit Profile it takes me to another screen. Clicking through the tabs I don't see any where to edit gender. Maybe I need to move to California so the government can pay for it? ;)

I would like to suggest two things for the benefit of the bug-tracking process, and particularly to assist the individuals (who appear to be two in number) who will be the ones to directly address any issues.  (The Moderators can address the issues in the sense of talking about them and commiserating about the problems, but we can't actually do anything about them in a technical sense.)

First:  When giving a "bug report" including "I don't see (whatever)" I think it would be helpful to say what kind of device you are using and the name of the browser and, if possible, the version.  As we have seen already from Stosh's posts, it apparently does make a difference what browser you are using, and hopefully the Administrators will be able to use this information to "standardize" what people see across different devices and browsers - although I suspect it probably will not be possible to help everybody with every issue.  At least they will hopefully be able to explain what is happening.

When editing my profile, I can see the "Gender" drop-down box (three choices: Not Telling, Male and Female) on both the devices I use to access this forum:  A standard-issue laptop with Windows XP and the current version of Chrome, and a first-generation iPad with Safari, not sure what version but almost certainly not the current one.

Second:  I know this sort of goes against something I said yesterday, but in this folder and any others discussing technical issues having to do with the forum, I strongly suggest that we all remain strictly on-topic.  That way the Administrators will not have to wade through all kinds of irrelevant commentary to get to the technical issues.

Two issues running here.

1) As a moderator you have access to more features than the rest of us.  At least that's the way it is on other boards I have moderated.  What you see is not what everyone else sees.

2) I have Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome all loaded on my PC (Dell running Windows XP).  I do not see Gender listed anywhere in my Profile under any of the different browsers.

Oh, by the way, every Moderator should have a second account in which they can log in as a regular user and see what everyone else sees.  That's standard protocol for moderators, admins and develoopers.  In the case identified with this software, it would also be feasible to have Firefox, IE and Chrome (CM on mobile) all loaded on your PC/mobile as well.  You all went cold turkey changeover without proper, extensive testing.  I understand why, but one needs to be prepared for a major fall out because of it.

By the way even the way the website looks varies between browsers.  When people are told that the latest forum responses are listed at the right, that is correct for IE and Chrome, but they are listed at the bottom in Firefox.

Hope these suggestions help

Oh, by the way, every Moderator should have a second account in which they can log in as a regular user and see what everyone else sees. 

I'm about 15 minutes ahead of you.  There is an issue with that suggestion under this new software, and I am working on getting around it.

:)  When in doubt read the manual?  Works for me.

If you can't double register on the same computer, let me know and I can keep the moderators informed of what the users see.

With all the various platforms and browsers and their combinations, support is going to be a nightmare anyway.

Edited by Stosh

I would like to suggest two things for the benefit of the bug-tracking process, and particularly to assist the individuals (who appear to be two in number) who will be the ones to directly address any issues.  (The Moderators can address the issues in the sense of talking about them and commiserating about the problems, but we can't actually do anything about them in a technical sense.)

First:  When giving a "bug report" including "I don't see (whatever)" I think it would be helpful to say what kind of device you are using and the name of the browser and, if possible, the version.  As we have seen already from Stosh's posts, it apparently does make a difference what browser you are using, and hopefully the Administrators will be able to use this information to "standardize" what people see across different devices and browsers - although I suspect it probably will not be possible to help everybody with every issue.  At least they will hopefully be able to explain what is happening.

When editing my profile, I can see the "Gender" drop-down box (three choices: Not Telling, Male and Female) on both the devices I use to access this forum:  A standard-issue laptop with Windows XP and the current version of Chrome, and a first-generation iPad with Safari, not sure what version but almost certainly not the current one.

Second:  I know this sort of goes against something I said yesterday, but in this folder and any others discussing technical issues having to do with the forum, I strongly suggest that we all remain strictly on-topic.  That way the Administrators will not have to wade through all kinds of irrelevant commentary to get to the technical issues.

Thank you for the additional information.  I have used my smart phone (Chrome), laptop (Windows 8 - Chrome, Firefox and Explorer) and desktop (Windows 7 - Chrome, Firefox and Explorer) and do not see it. As a moderator of multiple other forums, I know that sometimes you have additional options that we cannot see as regular users as Stosh stated. I just wanted to bring it to attention that while it may be there for some, it most definitely isn't for everyone (which I counted as a bug.) I apologize for not including more details. I am attaching a screenshot as well.

Not a huge deal, of course, but something I still wanted to bring to attention. Not sure if that means there are other things we cannot access as well.

10gmtqu.png