As some of you may recall, last month our current SM advised that he was going to step down at the end of March due to some issues with work.  Because of that I agreed to step back in as SM for the next 18 months to 2 years.  After I told him and our CC that I would step back in, the CC said that was great and then he said that his work issue wasn't going to be an issue after all and that we could talk about it.  In the meantime, it got out that I had agreed to step back in and a lot of people that had been with the troop were happy because things were not as organized as before and there were certain things (patrols, adults cooking and doing KP on campouts, etc.) that had changed since I had stepped down.  One of these people was our Unit Commissioner.  After I spoke with him, he said that he was afraid that I would get stuck with being SM longer than I intended and that was why he hesitated about me stepping back in and we agreed that I would take over after a brief transition period sometime in May or so.

Then he told the boys that he would be leaving and after a transition period I would take over in June or July.  And then at the Committee meeting he told the parents and other adults it would be September.  However, the more I become involved the quicker I would like to take over.  How can I bring this up to him without offending him.  I have some sensitivity to this as there were issues similar to this right before I joined the troop 10 years ago that completely blew up and I don't want bad feelings here and the same thing to happen.

There are things that I have started doing, like organizing a family camp that we haven't had in a couple of years and restarting the website that has not been used in over a year, both kind of pet things that I thought were useful to the troop.  I have added an Annual Planning meeting to our calendar in August that I used to have that we haven't done lately.  I just don't want to do too much until I officially take over but I don't want to take too long.

Any guidance?

He may have thought he was doing you a favor by extending the transition. Just thank him for all he's done and tell him you think you're ready to complete the transition quickly. That's the truth, isn't it? He deserves the truth.

Somehow I get the impression that the SM isn't really all that interested in stepping down now that the glitch at work resolved itself.  It's probably a good idea to clarify the reality of the situation.  If he's stepping down, make it effective immediately.  If not, have the COR give you a call when he does.  Then do your best in the role you have on your shirt sleeve.  If others are wondering what you're wondering, direct them to the COR for further clarification.  There's nothing you can really do until the change has been made. 

Stosh

No really standardized way to do it. You got to know you SM, and have support when you talk to him about steppign down.

I do not suggest doing what my CC wanted to do with my son's SM: tell point blank he's fired and now on the troop committee.

I know, CC can't do that, but COR is SM's son, and although he knows it time for dad to step down, he doesn't have the heart.CC said he would handle it as he and dad are good friends.

June 1 aint coming soon enough for the SM elect ( he's still CM), and June 6th ain't coming soon enough for me ( when I change from MC to ASM with the troop and DL to MC with the pack.)

Is you is or is you ain't my Scoutmaster (apologies to Louis Jordan)?   In fairness to you , you deserve to know when(if ever) the "old" SM will step down, or not....

If there are activities to take care of, then between you and the CC and the present SM,  you might take on some of those (you are a ASM, yes? If not, re-register...). 

I have been asked, on occasion, to take on the SM mantel, temporarily, when the regular SM was not available, since I had the training, the experience and the ASM on my sleeve. No problem.  When the time came to name a new SM , after 15 plus years, I made it known I COULD, but liked my role as Commisher and Trainer and CSDC person.  The Troop found a good man to take the role, and I made sure he knew I would be there to help.

Make sure all involved know what YOU expect and what YOU are willing to do, no insult intended, no idea of a coup de'tat.

Buen Scouting !

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No really standardized way to do it. You got to know you SM, and have support when you talk to him about steppign down.

I do not suggest doing what my CC wanted to do with my son's SM: tell point blank he's fired and now on the troop committee.

I know, CC can't do that, but COR is SM's son, and although he knows it time for dad to step down, he doesn't have the heart.CC said he would handle it as he and dad are good friends.

June 1 aint coming soon enough for the SM elect ( he's still CM), and June 6th ain't coming soon enough for me ( when I change from MC to ASM with the troop and DL to MC with the pack.)

In our unit, following the BSA model, one of the Committee duties is to recruit and suggest leaders (including the SM) that the COR or IH can choose to appoint - as the CO owns the unit and all leaders serve at the pleasure of the CO.  The committee retains the supervisory and managerial oversight of the program leaders and program, while not being directly involved in the program side itself (that is what all those boards of review are for, the committee QC's the program and acts as the eyes and ears of the COR, IH and CO).  While the CC can't just unilaterally fire the SM or any other leader (short of a YP issue) we can and have, as a committee brought the SM  up to speed on issues our supervision revealed...if counselling the SM does not bring the program back into the fold we can loop in the COR,and/or IH rand if it gets bad enough the COR or IH can remove a leader.  It happened once for a burnt out SM that just could not bring himself to say 'no more' and once for a power mad CC that tried to work a personal vendetta against another leader and his family.  Its always a last step, but the IH and COR can end an appointment on the advice of the committee just as easily as they can make the appointment.  We have to work to remove obstacles to boy leadership, which many problem leaders represent.

The trick in all of this is to try to keep it transparent to the boys as they need no part of adult squabbles and are not suited to evaluate or discipline adults.  We owe them nothing but the best program, always. 

Jeff in KC