Extending a Pack Into a New Geographic Area

The pack I work with is on the edge of a neighboring school district that has two elementary schools with no nearby Cub Packs and where no Cub Pack has existed for many years, if ever.

I'm thinking about extending the geographic range of our Cub Pack into this area in the fall. I'd find a place suitable for holding den and pack meetings that we could use. Then, on Mondays we'd have our regular pack recruiting and den meetings, and on Wednesday do the same activities at the additional location. See who shows up and joins.

The existing pack would provide pack meetings, the formal organization of the pack and pack activities.

If the membership in the new area grew to an appropriate size, a new pack could be formed at that time.

It seems to me that existing Cub Packs might be encouraged to look for ways to extend Cub Scouting into new areas using their existing organization like this.

Any comments would be welcome...

If you have the organizational and leadership depth to take on a bunch of additional boys, go for it. Otherwise, I'd think about getting the parents in those adjacent areas to start a new pack or two. Either way, it's good of you to think about this.

One advantage of expanding and then breaking off a new pack would be the leaders of the "new" break off would get some experience on running a pack from working within the old. It's really difficult to start from scratch, but an expansion with leader development might give them a foot up.

Stosh

Yeah sure, recruit from there. But I'd also suggest ...

Knock on the door of every candidate CO in those school districts and see if one of them would be willing to host a pack event (e.g. PWD or B&G). This way, those parents you are training would get a better feel for the resources available to them.

Your DE, if worth his/her paycheck, would already have a list of prospects.