Bridging over and Webelos uniform

Why else? To distinguish the boy who still is a Webelos and earned his AoL from the boy who is working on that Scout rank and earned his AoL once upon a time. It's not all about the epaulets! Bottom line: the only insignia a cub can carry over to his hour scout uniform is the AoL. (Okay, and service stars.)

re-reading this old post.... qwazse I think missed my point...

why would they offer both the diamond rank badge AND the oval rank badge, for the SAME rank?

It still strikes me that to someone and at some point along the line, somebody must have intended this to be some sort of transitional thing, given that the rank patch is the same size, shape, smell, taste, and feel, as the Scout ranks

Honestly, that whole rank patch thing to me smells like there were three parallel schools of thought happening and the folks weren't talking with each other.

.... I mean if a scout were to opt for the diamond WEBELOS rank badge, where does it go in the diamond on his Cub uniform?  Why Does the newly minted WEBELOS remove his Tiger?  that just doesn't make any sense.....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re-reading this old post.... qwazse I think missed my point...

why would they offer both the diamond rank badge AND the oval rank badge, for the SAME rank?

It still strikes me that to someone and at some point along the line, somebody must have intended this to be some sort of transitional thing, given that the rank patch is the same size, shape, smell, taste, and feel, as the Scout ranks

Honestly, that whole rank patch thing to me smells like there were three parallel schools of thought happening and the folks weren't talking with each other.

.... I mean if a scout were to opt for the diamond WEBELOS rank badge, where does it go in the diamond on his Cub uniform?  Why Does the newly minted WEBELOS remove his Tiger?  that just doesn't make any sense.....

Here's a little history about the Tiger Badges, and oval Webelos Badges.

From August 1982 to about  early1990s,  Tiger Cubs as they were called were not officially part of a pack. Their uniform consisted of an orange tshirt and full tiger paw iron on decals. At the end of the school year, they received a square "Tiger Cub Graduate" patch that was worn on the right pocket, and could be worn with the "Progress Toward Ranks" totem, essentially covering it up. At some point the Tiger Paws had cut outs in them to correspond to the activity the Tiger earned. Major problems with those ( the iron on decals kept getting messed up due to the cut outs). But the patch at the end of the year went from a square patch on the pocket to a "Tiger Cubs, BSA" strip under the right pocket, so it wouldn't be covered up.

Sometime in the 1995-1997 time frame when I worked for national supply, the iron on decals went away, and a belt fob with  recessed diamond shape in the middle, came out. You earned beads then when you earned your Tiger Cub Rank, the new diamond shape Tiger Cub Badge was placed on the belt fob. What was cool was that the Tiger Cub Badges had a glue background that you peeled and stuck to the belt fob.

At some point in the early 2000s, Tigers were fully incorporated into the Cub Scout program. The belt totem became a pocket totem, and the Tiger Cub Badge became an official patch to wear on the pocket. BUT WHERE?  Someone at national decided that since most Webelos went to the tan and green uniform, go ahead and put the Tiger Cub Rank patch in the spot where the Webelos badge would go. And since Webelos are transitioning from Cub Scouts tyo Boy Scouts, create a new Oval Webelos badge.  Problem was that the LDS units, and more traditional units, as well as those parents and Cub Scouts who kept the Blue uniform on wanted the traditional diamond shaped patch. So then the option of removing the Tiger Patch and replacing with Webelos patch, wearing the blue Webelos diamond by itself, or in in a tan and green uniform going with the oval caem about.

Yeah Eagle94, I figured it went something like that....actually I knew the bit about Tiger not being part of the pack....

The bit about the oval WEBELOS badge fits right in with my thinking that really, what does it matter?..... let them leave it on till it's replaced with Scout.  Who cares?  It shouldn't be all taht long after joining the troop that it would go, anyway, right?

The only two items that can remain on the uniform is the Religious Knot and Recruiter.

Cub Scout service stars, too.

IF the boy has received any heroism knots, they transfer as well.

Arrow of Light patch transfers which will again morph into a knot for the adult uniform.

Cub Scout service stars, too.

IF the boy has received any heroism knots, they transfer as well.

Arrow of Light patch transfers which will again morph into a knot for the adult uniform.

TY Stosh somehow I completely forgot about the AOL (why I have no clue because I am the Webelos Leader DUH)

Also they Discontinued the AOL Knot many years ago.

Edited by JasonG172

TY Stosh somehow I completely forgot about the AOL (why I have no clue because I am the Webelos Leader DUH)

Also they Discontinued the AOL Knot many years ago.

The AOL Knot is still currently in use.  Any adult can wear the knot on their uniform.  I have one on mine.