Hi all,

It has been a while since I posted on here, but I would like to hear what your thoughts are. I am a former SM of my troop, having stepped aside almost 2.5 years ago after 7 years in the role. I gave two years notice and had someone in place that I trained a year prior. My replacement has announced that he needs to step down at the end of the month. He had mentioned that he was going to step down in the middle of next year and has been looking for a replacement, but no one who currently has scouts in the troop has stepped up. Now things have changed and he is stepping down at the end of the month. I spoke with him and the Committee Chair and there is still no one that has volunteered.

I am having an internal debate as to whether I want to step up, at least in an interim basis, to become the SM again. Both my boys are out of the troop (the youngest almost 1.5 years ago). I was thinking that now that my boys are gone, it may be time to move on to the next part of my life. However, I rechartered again this year and I still go to the meetings and have gone on campouts when they are short leaders. My oldest son (21) has registered as an adult leader this year as well and has gone on a couple of campouts as a leader. Part of me wants to just let go and force some of the parents of current scouts to step up, which has been an issue over the last couple of years. However, the other part of me would hate to see the boys in the troop struggle with someone who doesn't really want to be SM. The other thing is that if I step up on an interim basis, then the boys will have 3 SMs over the course of the next year or so.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Unfortunately my advice won't help you. My boy quit scouts 20 years ago and I've moved on from ASM to SM of two other troops as well as being UC for others. I guess I enjoy outdoor activity more than my son. :) As long as my health holds out and I enjoy it, I'm sticking with the program. I still have a wait, my 3 grandchildren are girls. :(

Stosh

I have already spoken to my wife and she is fine with it. In fact, I asked her if I was crazy for even thinking about it and she said no. So I have her support. I wouldn't have even come out here without talking to her-I'm not that stupid :D. My dilemma is more around giving the current parents another excuse not to get involved by volunteering myself. And if I volunteer on an interim basis, does that disrupt the boys too much. Trust me, if I didn't enjoy my time as SM, I wouldn't even be thinking about volunteering.

Point of clarification here.... Did she say you were not crazy for thinking about it or not crazy for doing it? Two different animals here. :)

"I will take over as SM for a 1 year period so I have the opportunity to train a permanent replacement. I will need an adult willing to take over make a commitment within the next 6 weeks."

That oughta do it....

The way it stands right now is if someone has to step up, they do so without any support. If you offer a year's worth of experienced support someone might be more inclined to step up. If at all possible, have more than one step up. Say you will be needing 3 ASM's to train that after a year, one of them will need to step up to SM. No one wants to be hung out to dry by themselves and this sounds a lot like that.

Stosh

How many people have you asked to be Scoutmaster?

Have you taken the training “Selecting quality Leaders�

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/membership/pdf/522-981.pdf

Instead of waiting for someone to volunteer, follow this training and put together a short list of 3 or 4 people who you think would be a good Scoutmaster and ask them to take the position.

They don’t even need to currently be in the Troop or even in Scouting.

Many people are waiting to be asked and won’t volunteer for the position.

Many time the people who volunteer are the control freaks who end up doing everything and alienating everyone around them

• Upvote 1

Stosh,

You make some good points on this. We have some leaders that have been involved in the troop for some time and have an idea of what is involved, some of whom I approached when I was stepping down. However, when I talked to them this time as well as last time, they said they weren't interested. I do like the idea about giving a time limit of how long I will step in for and then recruiting from there.

I have a question for you. Do you get any gruff from folks within the troop that you have been around too long or ask why you are still doing this when your kids have been out for so long? I know that some people I have talked to (including district folks) have said that you can be SM for too long, especially if you don't have kids in the troop. How do you keep your ideas fresh?

CNY,

I know when I looked for my replacement, I approached people that I thought would be a good fit and didn't wait for people to step up. I explained the role and found someone that I thought would be really good and he has been. I really don't know if anyone has been asked by the SM or Committee Chair. I know I have asked a couple of people that I thought would be good replacements and they have told me they don't want the job and I assume that they would tell the SM and CC the same thing. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it and forward on to our CC as well.

I'm in my 10th year as SM - my son has been gone for 3 years. I think the Adults who even think of such things are damn grateful I'm there. Sort of a "there but for the Grace of God go I" attitude. I have made it clear that I have no ego involved and am willing to step down any time there's someone who wants the job. I'm not holding my breath. I only do it because I love it.

I would strongly encourage you to step back in. It's about the boys.

How about your oldest son taking the job, with you backing him up unofficially if he needs help?

I have mixed feelings about folks without skin in the game (a child involved in the unit)

I really think it could be a good thing in a lot of ways. It gives a steadiness.... and it removes some of the emotion sometimes.

but in my limited experience (our CC), and me as CC of our Troop.... it's hard to have a strong drive and passion sometimes too....

I think a lot of it depends on YOU

If you really want the job, go for it.

But if you don't, this is the right approach:

<

Have you taken the training “Selecting quality Leaders�

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/me...df/522-981.pdf

Instead of waiting for someone to volunteer, follow this training and put together a short list of 3 or 4 people who you think would be a good Scoutmaster and ask them to take the position.

They don’t even need to currently be in the Troop or even in Scouting.>>

A search committee to identify the best person for the job should be formed and that person should be asked. If they refuse, go to the second best person.

Waiting around for someone to volunteer is a bad and often futile practice.

Stosh,

I have a question for you. Do you get any gruff from folks within the troop that you have been around too long or ask why you are still doing this when your kids have been out for so long? I know that some people I have talked to (including district folks) have said that you can be SM for too long, especially if you don't have kids in the troop. How do you keep your ideas fresh?

Right now I've just started a new troop in a new area of town that hasn't had a scout troop for a few years. No longevity here so no guff. My last SM gig I was asked to leave after 5 years because I expected too much leadership from the boys. Before that I was an ASM just having fun hanging around and putting up with an adult-led, troop-method troop.

I used to be a minister many moons ago, but left because the politics just got to be more hassle than it was worth. At that point I just picked the one part of ministry I loved the best and that was working with the kids. Scouting isn't the only youth group I have been involved with, I'm still active in a couple of congregations in the area. All in all, I have been working with various youth organizations and groups for 45 years now. Started back when I was in college.

How do I keep my ideas fresh? Stick with the basics, expect great things from the kids, believe in what you are doing and have a real love for the kids. Kids will keep you young if you let them. (Caution: this only works with other peoples' kids, you're own kids will take years off you faster than you can ever imagine.)

Stosh

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and advice. I did think about my older son as a possibility, but he is still in school for another year and he needs to take care of that first, however, he said he would be willing to help me. I think the boys are the most important aspect to think about here and just rushing around asking people if they want to be SM is potentially asking for trouble in the long run, not that there aren't qualified people, just people who are not willing or ready. My wife said last night that if I am going to do this, I need to be in all the way and make the commitment, so I know I can't go in only half ready, and I know I have her support either way. I am leaning towards stepping up again with the idea that we work through the process that was identified in this thread in terms of finding qualified candidates within the next year and working with them. I am going to sleep on this before I make my final decision though.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I think in the back of my mind, I kind of wanted to do this, but it was nice to hear some advice for how to handle!

The SM of my youth was a retiree who never had kids of his own. He was a strong leader supported by about four committee and fewer ASMs (college grads or young parents). Until I went to Jamboree, I had no idea that someone's dad could be SM.

Just sayin' any pro's or con's you could think of should have to do with the fella's moral fiber ... not his social situation. An empty-nester with a supportive spouse may as good as any troop could ask for. Or the recent college grad with a steady job may do better. What matters is his/her steadfast reputation.

However, any candidate who thinks this can be a short-term gig should do a reality check. If you're the strongest candidate in the room now, you will likely be for a good 5 years.