Pre-2005 Vans to be banned as of Sept 1

Sentinel, which of those two alternatives is the good one?

Edit: KenDavis, our CO replaced their 15 passenger vans with real buses about 13 years ago due to this issue. As others have noted, it's old news...BSA is, as usual, experiencing delayed development.

BSA is' date=' as usual, experiencing delayed development.[/quote']

While we're all making up wild stories, I'm going to say that I infer that BSA waited and waited because they were experiencing a lot of anxiety about having to hear all this whining. So, since their insurance is secondary, anyway, they let the COs go ahead and do it to a lot of units first and now it's time for the roundup: all those privately owned vans in use and by God who is the BSA to tell me whether or not it's safe to use my 1987 van with its perfectly fine duct tape fuel line and square knot seat belts.

The latest trend in our state is to register your clunker as an "Antique vehicle" if it's more than 25 years old. Makes them exempt from state inspection, although they are not supposed to be routinely driven (which a lot of people ignore). It also makes it legal to park these junk heaps on the street. I also recently read an article that more and more states are doing away with annual vehicle inspections. I always found them to be a PITA, however it was a good way to monitor brake and tire wear.

I also recently read an article that more and more states are doing away with annual vehicle inspections. I always found them to be a PITA' date=' however it was a good way to monitor brake and tire wear.[/quote']

I always found inspections a PITA, until I moved to a state that doesn't have them. I have seen 2x6s as bumpers and a gas tank tied on with nylon closthesline.

Is the choice between no drivers and drivers with "inadequate insurance" ?

Inadequate as in limits below state minimums (at which BSA secondary coverage kicks in) or inadequate without BSA secondary coverage?

In my state, insurance is not required at all, as long as you pay a $400 "Uninsured motorist fee", which does not provide any insurance coverage. In all my years in Scouting, no one ever asked to see proof of insurance. When my financial advisor found out I was a Scouter volunteer, he highly recommended I purchase a blanket liability policy in addition to my car and homeowner's insurance.

• 6 months later...

While I already have told the troop we can no longer use the church van, which is a 95 GMC, it is in the Tour Plan files already.  Be interesting to see if it gets flagged should I mark the box.  Have an outing coming up very soon, so will see what it does.